All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it

Go down 
AuthorMessage
biggasmowers
Veteran Member
biggasmowers
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Empty
PostSubject: Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it   Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2018, 3:54 pm

So today i opened up the little 3 speed foote i have and gave it a good cleaning and modded it .
First thing when i cracked it open there was water on my work bench, not good ,. but when i opened it fully i did not find any rust inside as it was all covered in old green grease that looked o.e.m .Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2131Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2137
Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2134
Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2136
Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2133
Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2135
Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it Img_2132

So i cleaned it up , looked over all the gears to see if any were worn or cracked and didn't find any issues . I took out the imput gear and shaft and replaced the standard bushing with imput bearings out of a mst 205 tranny along with the mst oil seal . Then i put 12 oz of high quality industrial application grease in it and sealed it back up.
So comparing it to a peerless 700 series gearbox here is what i do and don't like .
1: The dual bevel gears that replace a reverse chain and sprockets seems very well designed .
2: Gears are bigger and thicker with deeper teeth.
3: Oil/grease seals on every shaft opening .
4: Shifter style prevents shifting into reverse by not being a inline shifting style.
5: Has a case gasket .

Things i do not like:
1: Case seems weaker than a peerless.
2: Shifting keys look interesting and not as beefy as a 700's.
3: Bushing on the imput shaft( bearings do fit as a replacement option)
4: Steel bushings on the gear shafts are very thick but would prefer oilite bronze bushings instead.
The real test will be with how it handles torque compared to a 700 with larger horse power engines and different pulley ratios.
Comment on what you thing i missed or if you agree with what i think on the good and bad things with the foote gear boxes.
Back to top Go down

Foote 3 speed gearbox, What i do and do not like about it
Page 1 of 1