All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

seized briggs

Go down 
+4
Ford Boi
gilsonrumbler
Fattypipemuarry
DICE464
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DICE464
DICE464

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeJuly 21st 2011, 6:20 pm

so i got this snapper with a 9hp briggs andme and a friend got running. it was one of the best running engines ive ever had until it just slowly died and turned out it seized tighter than a ticks ass. problem was is the guy didnt tell me it sat on its side for like three days. so i was wondering if anyone had good techneics for getting engines unseized. would really appretiate the help guys thanks
Back to top Go down

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2011, 1:35 am

If it locked up when running, scrap it. Unless you want to spend alot of time and $300 on a $100 motor.
sounds like the motor got hot and valve stems got sticky. probably have a bent valve now (if its not stuck in the piston).
I wouldnt trust the rod after that
Sitting on it side wont hurt it as long as you dont run it that way. Check under the fan shroud, I'll bet the fins are packed full of grass and dead mice
Back to top Go down
Fattypipemuarry
Fattypipemuarry

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2011, 7:04 pm

soak that somebitch in tranny fluid for bout 3 days it will unstick it
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2011, 6:13 pm

i have seized many briggs... don't free it up and keep running! best bet is to check the bore for scoring/seized and the rod bearings.. if the bore is good simply swap out the crankshaft and rod and wristpin.. thats if the rod bearings are bad/seized. if bore is junk/piston is locked then toss it for scrap.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2011, 9:34 pm

Does it have a cast-iron sleeve? if not, junk it lol... I used to run alot of old 8's and seize them, un-seize them and sand the cylinder and run them again... But they were just for razzing.
Back to top Go down
ferg
ferg

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 7:56 pm

the cylinder will be scored real bad, you would have to rebore the cylinder and oversize the rings or piston, just not worth the effort if i am honest, unless you know someone who can rebore and hone cylinders!!
Back to top Go down
chopsmith
chopsmith

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2012, 2:49 pm

Shop on Ebay, oversize piston and full gasket set is less than $100. I get dozens of free seized motors and rebuild them, almost have more motors than I know what to do with. Heres a vid of the latest 11 hp I got going on https://youtu.be/TJwMRtnxNc4
Start by taking it appart, there is just three crank bearings and a piston to seize in place, from my experience. Real easy fixes.
Back to top Go down
boggo
boggo

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2012, 7:40 pm

my 11hp briggs seized up because it ran out of oil but i was lucky no damage was done all i did was crank it over with a wrench and it worked again but i filled up with oil Very Happy
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2012, 4:45 pm

i have had a motor do that on me and it got the boar all messed up so i ended up scraping it Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

seized briggs Empty
PostSubject: Re: seized briggs   seized briggs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seized briggs
Page 1 of 1