All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?

Go down 
+4
Trcustoms
dangeroustoys56
Jamus
CityRedneck
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Empty
PostSubject: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 3:39 am

How can I waterproof my fuses and electrical stuff. My mower only needs electric for the starter and the lights so I really don't wanna be in a mud pit and have a fuse go out because of water.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 10:37 am

Move all the connections and solenoid as high as possible. On my murray I have hot glue gobbed on all the bare positive(+) terminals also. However it isn't perfect. The other day I swapped the stock throttle cable back on to test something. The metal sheath on that cable got against a terminal on my solenoid and caught fire for a couple seconds. Apparently there was a small gap in the glue that allowed an arc. So now I need to wrap everything in electrical tape or find some type of rubber to isolate it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 4:02 pm

you think that flex seal stuff would work? that spray rubber or w/e it is
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 6:39 pm

Like plasti-dip or liquid electrical tape? That stuff works good, though I've never used the spray kind. I use it on RC electronics and dip the connection into the can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 7:35 pm

no. flex seal. its some crap on tv its spray rubber i guess is works good never used it myself
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Fuse and eletrical protection   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 9:50 pm

we used high voltage sealer for flybacks on tvs. not sure if you can get it anymore (not sure if there are any TV repair shops left).
Once you get if sealed up, its gonna be a PITA to check fuses.
as long as your lights dont fill up with water, you should be OK.
Its after it dries out and starts to corrode that will cause the problems.
WD40 will usually fix that , as long as it doesnt get too crapped up.
I had the boat fill up with water the other day. battery had 2" of water over it for who knows how long.
pumped the water out and fired up the trolling motor. couldnt even tell it got wet
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 10:26 pm

k ill look around for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Fuse and eletrical protection?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 10:40 pm

I tried to find some"fly-spray" on the 'net. no luck. might try the battery protector spray stuff. kinda sloppy , but it makes a water/ air tight seal. you can pick it up at an auto parts store
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2011, 11:15 pm

ok. im gonna get alot done on friday. ill probly do the eletricals first.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2011, 3:22 am

As rat suggested- itll be a bitch if you have to replace any fuse/component- id suggest finding a watertight box ( has a gasket- like an outdoor electric box) - then mount the box and put the electrics in it - so all youd have to do is drill one hole and seal that - and also have no issues replacing anything.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2011, 6:26 am

alright. im writing down my list for parts today. goin shoppin at home depot and other places. Smile gonna get all my pipe and metal today and maybe the eletrical box
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2011, 6:53 pm

I agree with dangeroustoys, I'd put all the fueses in a water tight box.
And for another things you might wanna seal, I'd just use caulk.

Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2011, 8:34 am

well something in the eletrical went wrong today and it wont turn. im ppretty sure i need a new starter but ill check the battery today because yesterday as sooon as i found out i had to go out to dinner :/
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2011, 11:55 am

try ghetto starting it by just pressing the red battery wire to the starter. if it starts then it could be the solenoid. but ur right it could always just be a dead battery
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2011, 2:48 pm

not a dead battery. opened it up and 2 holewere empty. put water in them and charged it and tried but it didnt work same crap. put it on the other mower started right up :/
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 10:57 pm

Not to revive an old thread, but I thought my advice might be useful to someone else.

PLASTI-DIP

Its for making grips on pliers and such. Its used in the RC world all the time to waterproof ESCs and Receivers..
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 11:07 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Not to revive an old thread, but I thought my advice might be useful to someone else.

PLASTI-DIP

Its for making grips on pliers and such. Its used in the RC world all the time to waterproof ESCs and Receivers..
True that! AND you can plasti dip it without voiding a warrenty Razz
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2014, 6:05 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
TroyBilt Pony wrote:

PLASTI-DIP

True that! AND you can plasti dip it without voiding a warrenty Razz
Yep just peel the ***** off and you golden !! haha
Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
nathan wilson

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2014, 12:57 pm

just use electrical tape and put all electrical components as high as you can, go above the carburetor. because if your that thigh in water its going to flood anyway....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?   How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I waterproof my fuse and eletrical components?
Page 1 of 1