All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hello from Nova Scotia

Go down 
+2
MightyRaze
tharvey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tharvey

Hello from Nova Scotia Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 2:46 pm

I am working on converting my granddads old Craftsman YS4500 into a woods buggy. Working on adding ATV wheels, lights, rack on the back for chainsaw, gas, oil, etc. It doesn't really need to go especially fast, just most anywhere, and lug stuff.
 What is the best way to attach coil-over shocks to a cast iron axle? I found some at Princess Auto, that look like they might have been for a small bike or kart. I am a bit wary of welding cast iron.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Not sure what your cast iron axle looks like, but maybe you can use a pre-existing hole in the axle to use as a mounting point?  Maybe like I did with one of my tractors even though mine are steel.

Hello from Nova Scotia 02181810

Also....

Welcome to ATLTF!

Hello from Nova Scotia Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Hello from Nova Scotia Sig214Hello from Nova Scotia Sig314
Back to top Go down
tharvey

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 8:06 am

I don't have a pic of the axle right now, but I think it is similar to this one I found online:
Hello from Nova Scotia Crafts11
Possibly a bolt and spacer? I have to raise the front end up 6" to have room for the new wheels. The upper mount would probably be the angle steel for the axle lift. Ill try to remember pics when I get to work on it next. Also, where should I continue this thread/post?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 8:14 am

By what you have said so far, probably a utility build?
https://www.atltf.com/f49-utility-workhorse-and-pulling-tractors

Hello from Nova Scotia Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Hello from Nova Scotia Sig214Hello from Nova Scotia Sig314
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 3:27 pm

If you're going for a utility build I would just return the shocks.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Crazy_Carl wrote:
If you're going for a utility build I would just return the shocks.

You must've meant that he could send them down to me. I like the way you think!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm

I suppose even for hauling things around in the woods at moderate speed, it's nice to have some shocks on the front end. It's a decent amount of work but do-able. I know the front suspension on mine helps a lot. As far as using a cast iron front axle, you could either bolt to it somehow or just find a steel axle from something else to use and weld to that.

Are you keeping the front axle pivot bolt in or actually making a front suspension? Because in my opinion, there isn't much to gain with shocks or springs if your planning on leaving the stock pivot system. Not besides looks anyway.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:51 am

Yo. Annapolis valley here.

Coul over shocks aren't going to do you a lot of good on a lawn tractor unless you plan a full front suspension build.

The problem with just putting them on a lawn tractor front end is that the axle is "pinned" in the center. so the coil overs will do nothing but slow the cycling of the front axle. You can do the same thing with a couple cheap bicycle shocks. But you want the front axle to pivot freely. Since the rear is solid, the tractor has to cycle it's whole length when crossing bumps. By letting the front axle pivot freely, you can keep the front steering wheels in contact with the ground. Slowing the front axle down might make the ride a little softer, but you gain too many negatives IMHO.

To take advantage of the improvements coil overs will give you, you need to build a live front axle or independent suspension. That would allow the front axle to cycle well enough to keep good purchase on the ground while the rear does it's thing.

Personally, for a wood lot donkey, I wouldn't spend the money on coil overs. Just get 'er running right and strip it down to what you need.

You're also correct about not welding cast iron. It an be done, but not by most backyard welders. It involves preheat, specific welding techniques and nickle filler rods. It also involves specific cooling methods. GEt any of those things wrong, and the weld will just crack as it cools.

The problem with cast iron is that when you weld it, the filler rod tries to pull a lot of carbon out of the iron, which makes the weld point very brittle. So brittle that even cooling faster than it will accept causes the Weld (or the surrounding cast) to shrink too fast and crack. Nickle filler rods are used  because the nickle doesn't try to pull carbon out of the iron as it melts. You still have to pre and post heat, but it is much more tolerant.

You're better off re-using existing holes or bolting a bracket around the cast piece. you can also dril holes in the cast, but you're risking cracking over time and possibly inducing a stress riser somewhere around the hole....
Back to top Go down
tharvey

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:42 pm

I was originally thinking of a bracket to go around the cast, but not sure how to keep it there. Is there a way to make the axle 'live'? I don't currently have materials to make an independent front suspension. I could also leave the front end as-is for now, at least, and use the shocks for something else.
Now, if I could find a scrapped ATV cheap, (or at least the front of one)...

I have continued this post here: https://www.atltf.com/t6434-2010-craftsman-ys4500-build
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Nova Scotia   Hello from Nova Scotia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Nova Scotia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: New Member Forum :: Introduce Yourself Here!-
Jump to: