All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Empty
PostSubject: Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.   Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2021, 1:11 pm

My neighbor gave me an axle that I believe will work on my little utility tractor. I would like to identify it. My guess is that it is off of some sort of ATV. It has 4 mounting bolts in the center of it. 30mm diameter axle shafts, 4 bolt hubs, hub mounted sprocket and apparently a sizable brake. The wheel hubs fit my Kubota tire/wheels I want to use on this rig. I think I would add two pillow block bearings outboard of the center section, near the wheels.

Any ideas?

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. 02172610

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. F9810310

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. 1a886710
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.   Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2021, 1:20 pm

I checked and that is not a peerless 100, to rule something out. ATV axle is my best guess. A good way to check is measure the hub spacing, atvs don’t use 4 on 4 but some other metric 4 lug pattern.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.   Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2021, 3:36 pm

Thanks! The little tractor that this may go into has a Peerless 100 in it. I was going to have to make 4 lug hubs for it, but this one will work for me I think. No differential, but for the purpose I have in mind (rolling toolbox/mobility machine) I think it will be fine. Our place is flat and dry so it should work out well.
I’m still searching google for a match, but nothing so far.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.   Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2021, 4:33 pm

I did find very similar units on ebay. I bet it is an 80’s honda of some sort. There appears to be an automotive type drum brake with 2 shoes in there. I wanted to confirm that before I started hammering on the housing. It was stuck, but a little tapping loosened it. Must have been rust in the drum, now it turns freely. I won’t any more with this right now, other than remove that one wheel and lay it on it’s side. Gotta concentrate on the Rat Rod.
Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.   Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2021, 7:45 pm

Well, I think I narrowed it down enough to know what I have. Seems to be a Honda and I found a parts diagram for something close enough. A TRX200SX it seems. Maybe 85 or so. Anyway, I know what is inside it now.

And a bit of serendipity came along for the ride. We have lived at this place for about 4 years now. The previous owner was a packrat too. We also bought the ‘empty’ lot behind us. Behind the tractor shed was a lot of stuff. I remembered that there had been an ATV tire and wheel there. I wandered out into the heat and found... THE OTHER TIRE AND WHEEL for the axle my neighbor gave me. Who knows how this came about, but it IS the other one off this axle. Still holds air. OMG, now I have a matched pair of 22x11-8 tires and wheels for my little build.
Was a fun day.

This tells me enough for government work. The sprocket seems to have a shock absorbing system built into it also. Now I need to find something like #14 on this drawing, the brake arm. My axle doesn’t have the shock mount, but otherwise it seems to be the same.

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. F76cb010
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.   Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery axle, help identifying it needed please.
Page 1 of 1