All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Thinking about wheels and tires.

Go down 
+2
MightyRaze
BairleaFarm
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BairleaFarm
BairleaFarm

Thinking about wheels and tires. Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 9:18 am

Thinking out loud here. I build a lot of crap and move wheels and tires around all the time. mowers, trailers, off-road builds etc. I got these golf cart wheels and tires for free. 4x4 lug pattern which is also the same as a lot of the atv wheel and tire combos that are available in my area. These are typically cheaper and plentiful. The hubs for both live axle and roller bearing type are also cheap. I've got half a mind to switch everything over to this lug patters. 14" used wheel and tire combos are also readily available for cheap.

Thoughts, pros, or cons?

Thinking about wheels and tires. 40242310

Thinking about wheels and tires. Hub110

Thinking about wheels and tires. Wheel10

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 9:36 am

I think you laid out the pros and cons!  I always love easy quick interchangeable.  Finding wheels are cheap in your area.  I'd probably go for it.  Nothing says you have to stay with garden tractor wheels.  You have pictured live axle 1 inch to 3/4 step down.  You may want to look at that part again. If you have a 1 inch rear, you would want that straight through.

Thinking about wheels and tires. Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Thinking about wheels and tires. Sig214Thinking about wheels and tires. Sig314
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 9:52 am

What size are your front spindles? Those trailer hubs can take 1” R16 bearings if you bore them out .20 thou.
Back to top Go down
BairleaFarm
BairleaFarm

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 10:20 am

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
What size are your front spindles?

The current build has 1" spindles.

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 12:09 pm

There ya go! If you got a lathe it’s an easy conversion, if not somebody would probably do it for 40 bucks.

1” spindles are the best, while the 3/4 guys are over there having to reinforce em we can just go rock bouncing without a care in the world! Lol
Back to top Go down
BairleaFarm
BairleaFarm

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 12:41 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
There ya go! If you got a lathe it’s an easy conversion

So would any or all of these need to be machined? You are referring to the bearing correct?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 8:17 pm

There are a few guys that converted to trailer spindles, the best thing about them is having the adjustment of a tapered roller bearing, as well as nice seals to keep grease in and grit out. I will be going to trailer hubs on mutt before too long.

There are trailer hubs that go onto a 1" spindle, they need a threaded adjustment though which you would have to add to your spindles, granted they were long enough in the first place.
Back to top Go down
BairleaFarm
BairleaFarm

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 8:28 pm

EDIT

Last edited by BairleaFarm on November 21st 2023, 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 9:02 pm

BairleaFarm wrote:
Rustbucket Garage wrote:
There ya go! If you got a lathe it’s an easy conversion

So would any or all of these need to be machined? You are referring to the bearing correct?

The first one you posted is keyed and isn’t suitable for front spindles.

The trailer hubs would need .10 thou removed from the wall on both ends where the races ride. The tapered bearings are 1.98 inches in diameter while ball bearings are 2 inches, .20 thou is too much interference for a press fit IMO.

You can’t really use tapered bearings on these shafts because you’ll need to thread the end for a spindle nut, and the seal surface is 1.25 inches in diameter.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeNovember 20th 2023, 9:35 pm

The trailer hub upgrade was a challenging metal fab project but the payoff is so worth it. It's so nice being able to remove a front wheel quickly without a greasy mess. The mock up part took a while to get the chamber and track width right.

MightyRaze and Hammernco like this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2023, 5:34 am

FWIW: I am working on converting all my small trailers and mowers to 4 on 4, except maybe one RER Snapper because of the 3 lug wheels. Messing with cotter pins and heating caps to get at them, just to change a wheel is a hassle. Today after fighting getting 13" tires on 6" rims, I have decided to move fronts and backs to larger rims and 4 on 4 patterns. The other advantage is I can add front disc brakes with the bigger 8" wheels.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about wheels and tires.   Thinking about wheels and tires. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about wheels and tires.
Page 1 of 1