All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Member from Ft Myers Florida

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mwhitnell

Member from Ft Myers Florida Empty
PostSubject: Member from Ft Myers Florida   Member from Ft Myers Florida Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2024, 10:28 am

I joined to learn more about lawn tractors...I have a Simplicity Broadmoor 38", 16Hp Command, 1996. I bought this last year from the original owner. There was a tranny leak, the owner had it to a couple of shops...one shop said he needed to 'rebuild' the transmission (whatever that means?), another shop installed a clear plastic tube attached to the top of trans so he could refill after each use. He needed about 1/2qt after he cut his quarter acres lawn. This shop charged $100 for maybe 30minutes of time. I examined the mower and did not notice any leak at the bottom or side of transmission. This lead me to believe it was a ring seal from a shaft exiting the transmission. The mower was like new, garage kept, great paint...so $250 later, I removed the rear fender, fuel tank, so I could get a look at the top of transmission. Took maybe 15min, guess what? the ring seal for the out of gear lever was leaking. $5 a new seal was installed in another 10min, fender fuel tank back on. The shop installing a filler tube could have spent the same amount of time to repair correctly...what a shame...and the shop wanting $600 to rebuild the transmission, dishonest.
I own a Craftsman 1996, 52" 23Hp Command that I love, great power.
I own a Yard Machine 1996 16.5Hp Briggs opposed twin. This mower speed is fast and plenty of power. All mower are in great shape.
Well that's me.

MightyRaze, JB_4x4 and ranch king pro 08 like this post

Back to top Go down
ranch king pro 08
ranch king pro 08

2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Member from Ft Myers Florida   Member from Ft Myers Florida Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2024, 12:14 pm

@mwhitnell Welcome to the ATLTF!!!!!
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Member from Ft Myers Florida   Member from Ft Myers Florida Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2024, 12:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Member from Ft Myers Florida   Member from Ft Myers Florida Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2024, 2:57 pm

Welcome to ATLTF!  Sounds like you already have some good knowledge to fix stuff!

Danceparty

Member from Ft Myers Florida Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Member from Ft Myers Florida Sig214Member from Ft Myers Florida Sig314
Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Member from Ft Myers Florida   Member from Ft Myers Florida Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2024, 1:57 pm

It is why I considered myself truly blessed to be able to work on  my own stuff and not be at the mercy of others.  Though when I needed surgery, I decided to let a real doctor handle that one!   Smile

Having worked at car dealerships from wash bay to mechanic to service, sales, and parts manager I can tell you without a doubt the best mechanics work at major brand dealerships, many times flat rate, and the skill level, knowledge, and expertise trickles down from  there.

I doubt you will find many mechanics with 6-8 years of automotive college and a masters degree working at an OPE dealer unless they are retired or working doing warranty work for a bigger tractor or JD dealership.

I do not fault the funnel guy, at least he tried something to help, and it was enough to get the guy by for a while.  While you can teach a person knowledge, it is almost impossible to teach them compassion or honesty.

> Simplicity Broadmoor 38", 16Hp Command, 1996

Pictures would be welcomed .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Member from Ft Myers Florida   Member from Ft Myers Florida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Member from Ft Myers Florida
Page 1 of 1