All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh Blair

Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Empty
PostSubject: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2011, 12:03 am

Has anyone ever had trouble with brakes and couldn't adjust them? That is my problem. She is a craftsman lt 4000. How do you fix this?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2011, 1:46 am

Youll have to pull the wheel off, and take the brakes apart- the disimilar metals cause corrosion and seize up.

Once the caliper is off, set it flat on a level concrete surface- use a hammer ( yes a hammer) to pound the steel pins through - just hit the pins. Once the pins are out, sand and clean the steel pins, clean the caliper bores, use a tiny dab of never seize on them( where they pass thru the caliper) and the caliper bolts and reassemble it - that should keep the corrosion away.
Back to top Go down
Josh Blair

PostSubject: Re: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2011, 4:54 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Youll have to pull the wheel off, and take the brakes apart- the disimilar metals cause corrosion and seize up.

Once the caliper is off, set it flat on a level concrete surface- use a hammer ( yes a hammer) to pound the steel pins through - just hit the pins. Once the pins are out, sand and clean the steel pins, clean the caliper bores, use a tiny dab of never seize on them( where they pass thru the caliper) and the caliper bolts and reassemble it - that should keep the corrosion away.
She moves but I just can't stop
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitimeNovember 28th 2011, 11:23 am

How long have u had it? do what he said but check the pads might be wore down or deteriorating. I had a tractor years ago when i took it apart the one side of the pad was gone it broke apart.
Back to top Go down
Josh Blair

PostSubject: Re: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 6:01 pm

Well guys I took the caliPer off and the pins that engage the pad were rusted open so hammered them out and sprayed with Penetration oil put it back together and BRAKES!!
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 7:52 pm

haha sweet, thats y i like these brakes not much to them lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes   Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guys! Heellllllpppppp! I need brakes
Page 1 of 1