All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What is this called on my Pulley?

Go down 
+3
Ropertractor14
akcender
W1ldyOvvnZ
7 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

What is this called on my Pulley? Empty
PostSubject: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 2:10 pm

I am planning on doing a Pulley swap on my MTD and took the pulley off of the trans and found that it didn't have a keyway, just groves. Heres a Picture of it, what would you call this?

Im also wondering where can I get this style of pulley in a 4" diameter that will fit on a 3/4" shaft? Any websites(id prefer if they could ship to Canada but I have a postbox in the US), or stores to suggest(I'm going out to Princess Auto and maybe later on TSC).
What is this called on my Pulley? IMG_1265
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
akcender
akcender

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 3:51 pm

theyre called splines, im sure they will have the pulley at tsc, not sure about princess auto though
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 6:13 pm

I checked pricess auto since I was in the city anyways and they only have ones with a keyway, hopefully TSC will have them. If not I know someone with a lawn tractor scrap yard that might have one.
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 7:59 pm

It's an MTD made pulley, so you will need to machine the center out on a lathe and install on another pulley.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2011, 9:59 pm

craftsman has those (only those.) went to buy me a new pulley for a swap and they only had drive pulleys with splines. I do believe that Chunk posted a potic that has cheap pulleys. (phoniex pulleys) thats the name.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 12:36 am

I checked http://www.phoenix-mfg.com/ and they look like they all have keyways. What did you do for a pulley swap them CityRedneck? Could I just take another MTD Pulley(or the 7" I have now and cut it then install the center into another pulley?
Back to top Go down
F150F250F350
F150F250F350

PostSubject: I have one   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2011, 9:04 pm

Do you have one yet if not I have an old one that I don't need it is 3.5'' and if you reply with your in side dementions I can see if they match mine but I don't know how you would measure that.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2011, 10:37 pm

I checked some stuff on the pulley, It fits on a 3/4 inch shaft, it has 48 splines, and im pretty sure its 1" wide(the part that fits on the transmission shaft, I used a micrometer backwards and subtracted the number I got from the total length of my micrometer). If you look at the end of the shaft you might see it has a stopper(looks like a washer welded onto the end of the pulley).

Heres a Picture If you don't really understand what I just said:
What is this called on my Pulley? Pulleyinformation
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 7:15 am

Or a cheeper method is to cut the splined pulley up to sit flush on another pulley and weld them together - only thing is it has to set level with the belt drive .

I welded a splined adapter into a different pulley on my mod MTD - belt was too high ( wasnt level ) and caused them to chew up belts .
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 8:33 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Or a cheeper method is to cut the splined pulley up to sit flush on another pulley and weld them together - only thing is it has to set level with the belt drive .

I welded a splined adapter into a different pulley on my mod MTD - belt was too high ( wasnt level ) and caused them to chew up belts .
I don't want to chew up belts, I know I can weld it properly but My welder is a cheap welder like harbor freight welders and I have .030mm wire in a .032mm wire feeder so the wire doesn't come out fast enough to make a useable weld and its flux core so If I do any welding I have to do it at school. I am probably going to do it if the tractor dealership down the road from me cant get one(Ive gotten everything I want from them without waiting more then 2 weeks but its pricy, probably $50 for the pulley I am looking for). Also what I could see happening is that I weld the pulley on sideways so it wobbles. and slips off.

What is this called on my Pulley? IMG_1297
Heres a Picture with the Clutch Engaged on how it looks with the 7" Pulley. The reason why I can't change the Front pulley is because the belt goes from a vertical shaft pulley to a horizontal shaft pulley.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 8:48 am

F150F250F350 wrote:
Do you have one yet if not I have an old one that I don't need it is 3.5'' and if you reply with your in side dementions I can see if they match mine but I don't know how you would measure that.
I forgot to say yeah i still need a pulley. I havent been able to go and check TSC, or my friends lawn tractor junk yard.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 9:52 am

could do what i do for my mtd front pulley i just took my rear 8'' grinded the welds poped the center out and welded on the shaftsize i needed from an old front pulley i did this with .30 flux core wire worked great and strong. if welded right.
What is this called on my Pulley? Pulley2
What is this called on my Pulley? Pulley1
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 10:56 am

gearheadmike wrote:
could do what i do for my mtd front pulley i just took my rear 8'' grinded the welds poped the center out and welded on the shaftsize i needed from an old front pulley i did this with .30 flux core wire worked great and strong. if welded right.
What is this called on my Pulley? Pulley2
What is this called on my Pulley? Pulley1
Thats what im probably going to do if I cant get one before next year, but im not going to use my welder i'll use one of the ones from my school, Its a Miller MIG welder(similar to the one 1puglife has on youtube). I was thinking of getting one of those two-piece pulleys(like fearless fronts racing lawnmower chain but for pulleys) and trying to weld it but the hole would of been way to big and I would much rather get an old 4inch pulley and do the same as you did..
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 1:00 pm

yea i was just at tsc and for my 8'' pulley and the hub to weld it on total of $24 in just too cheap lol so i made my own
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2011, 2:09 pm

gearheadmike wrote:
yea i was just at tsc and for my 8'' pulley and the hub to weld it on total of $24 in just too cheap lol so i made my own
Im probably going to do it your way, unless I can find a hub that would work for my transmission or find a pulley that is exactly what I want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this called on my Pulley?   What is this called on my Pulley? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is this called on my Pulley?
Page 1 of 1