All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

15 hp kohler

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
arines 1988

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: 15 hp kohler   15 hp kohler Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2012, 6:13 pm

i got a 15 hp kohler moter on my mower and it runs good runs strong just wandering if there things i could do to get a bit more power out of it its all stock included the muffler maby file the jets a lil bit and run straight pipe just needing a few ideas thanks
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: I recently recieved 2X CV16S Kohlers   15 hp kohler Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2012, 9:06 am

I too dont know much about the engines. Now ofcouse I know basic and some advanced engine rebuilding, but Ive always been working with briggs..
I hope somebody can help us both on some details..maybe someone knows a link to some videos?

I do like the "carlike" filters and the carbs seem easy enough...mine also have a push-pull oil drain plug..I like the idea, but i may remove it.

I got them free, and I know why, I removed the spark plug to check for any compression, and they have a deep plug pocket, so I slide a 2 foot rod into the hole Razz and I ended up pushing the piston back...and the crank had no movement....turned the flywheel by hand...no movement on the rod...and sure enough the flywheel came to abrupt stop..
So, for sure both engines have broke connecting rod assemblies..

So I will be pulling them apart soon...Please post with some guidance and IF anyone has some warnings or tips prior too...let me know!

Last edited by Junkstarbuilds on September 6th 2012, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
goesman
goesman

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: Re: 15 hp kohler   15 hp kohler Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2012, 12:24 pm

How old of a kohler is it? Is it cast iron.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: Re: 15 hp kohler   15 hp kohler Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2012, 12:57 pm

Its model is CV16S, not sure of the yr, Ill post full details once i get home, but from memory it is aluminum for sure.

goesman wrote:
How old of a kohler is it? Is it cast iron.

Last edited by Junkstarbuilds on September 6th 2012, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: Here are the two models..I was a number off..   15 hp kohler Icon_minitimeSeptember 6th 2012, 9:10 pm

15 hp kohler Cv16s_1115 hp kohler Cv16s14
Back to top Go down

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: Kohler CVS   15 hp kohler Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 12:54 am

I have a 13 or 14 hp CVS and it is far more limited in overall mods one can do to it but there are a couple. A very mild porting of intake and exhaust is possible, and suggested if you have the skills. Kohlers of that kind are built to be almost as durable as their older counterparts (the K series etc) and not really known for flat out RPM or other such fun. BUT, with a mild porting (a stock one I THINK has 3/4" exhaust on anything bigger than 12hp) one can use a 1" exhaust adapted to the original flange and then a briggs type walbro aftermarket racing carb or something of the kind will actually bolt right on to the intake. If I recall correctly (it's been a while) the entire intake will interchange with a bit of tinkering on governor linkages and throttle linkages. That being said, a synthetic oil helps a ton for cooler running and a high-flow air filter will help it too.

With these motors for some reason they run even better with next to no backpressure unlike most of the small engines which always seem to want a little. Try to match the flow out, to the flow in. Takes some math, but well worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

15 hp kohler Empty
PostSubject: Re: 15 hp kohler   15 hp kohler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

15 hp kohler
Page 1 of 1