All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How much should a solenoid cost?

Go down 
+2
W1ldyOvvnZ
ironart
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ironart

How much should a solenoid cost? Empty
PostSubject: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2012, 9:08 pm

Looking at an MTD yard machine, a few years old, red, 15.5 hp IC engine. Evidently solenoid is shot..has to jump from battery to starter. Looks good, even the seat.
Supposed to run and mow good. Does $200 sound OK ? How much should a solenoid cost ?
I want to set it up for road & woods..so what size pulley should I get (that will fit)..and about what should be the road speed if I put that pulley on ? Here's a pic.. hope the addy comes through.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/3153807893.html
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2012, 11:07 pm

Try lowering him down for fuel cost, and a solenoid is probably $20-$30, A friend got one for his riding lawn tractor(solenoid and key ignition for $40). And for pulley swap I would do a 1:1 Ratio(maybe a little more if you are doing road riding), If you are planning on changing the engine pulley try to get a large pulley(do the same for the trans pulley) because it will get more grip and cause the belts to not slip as much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
ironart

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2012, 1:13 pm

Thanks muich, Wildy;
Justthe information I needed..much appreciated.... Ironart
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 6:28 am

I have a couple MTD's - one stock, one i tried to mod - the stock one goes way faster then the mod one did after i put a 6" on the motor, 4" on the trans and didnt really go any faster.

The thing with the stocker is the PO fiddled with the high speed linkage to make it faster ( hooks to the shift lever) , they also messed with the neutral linkage( hooks to the clutch) - it runs about 10mph with stock pulleys BUT the brakes didnt work ( crawled instead of stopping) .

The mod i was building on the cheep - from stuff i had around - i bolted the front axle solid as high up as it would go , put some lower profile tires on the stock rear rims, bolted the seat directly to the chassis - the thing handled like a go kart , no loose steering, was stable - lower seating didnt make it top heavy.

The mod kept eating belts , due to the trans pulley being a tad higher . Eventually i needed the chassis for another tractor- so its no longer around. I suppose if i had messed with the high speed linkage i mightve gotten more out of it.

The trans pulley is knurled - a standard type pulley wont work.

MTD's transmission is in the variable pulley, not the actual trans - its a single speed ( forward, neutral, reverse) only - youll also want to clean out the old bennonite grease in the transaxle, fill it with new grease, i drilled and tapped mine for zerk fittings.
Back to top Go down
the beast
the beast

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2013, 2:34 pm

I got my solinoid for 10$ at a randome chainsaw and mower place cheers 
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2013, 11:41 am

go to Home depot and they have solinoids for $12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2013, 11:57 am

You're best off going to a napa or other parts supplier and getting one for a 70 something ford... just tell them you need a ford solenoid and it shouldnt be more than 10 bucks... and last a heck of a lot longer under load than a mower one...
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2013, 12:34 pm

Maybe re-name this topic, since its about much more than solenoids.

Bmikarts has special price now on solenoids $3.50!! Tho shipping is offcourse extra.

www.bmikarts.com/12V-Starter-Relay-Solenoid-_p_2279.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much should a solenoid cost?   How much should a solenoid cost? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much should a solenoid cost?
Page 1 of 1