All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Dumpster diving

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeOctober 31st 2012, 9:59 pm

One thing I think I inherited from my dad is Dumpster diving. Laughing Today, he brought home a push mower someone had thrown on the scrap pile. A little gas later and it's running like a top. Shocked I can't believe someone threw this out. There is nothing wrong with it. Makes me sick. Now we have two push mowers. Both have a 4hp briggs. It's nicer than the one we have now. Laughing
Dumpster diving DSC_0093
So, are there any other "Dumpster Divers" out there? What are some of your greatest finds?
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2012, 8:03 pm

I was given a full go kart chassis that had been dumped still with good tires. all it needed was a motor. since then its been scrapped
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2012, 8:37 pm

Why did ya throw it out? Could've sold it and made some money for your tractor. Wink
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2012, 10:08 pm

I was young. I jumped it and the year axle ripped off. so i didnt try to fix it. so i scrapped it.

and this was before i had the mower

Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2012, 10:10 pm

Gotcha. People throw whole lawn tractors into the scrap bin at the dump. Mad Makes me sick. They wont let ya go in there and get anything out.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 1st 2012, 10:20 pm

Ive gotten tonnes of things, nothing much from dumpsters, but ive gotten tractors given to me, weedeaters given to me, computers, etc. the best deal I got was two old motor bikes, one was a twin cylinder and one was a triple, they were both torn apart and the engines would need a complete rebuild from sitting for 30 years with the top ends off them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: If you follow   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 8:45 am

I dont know if you guys watch my videos, but my buddy and I got that Golf cart someone gave us, because they didnt know where to throw it away..

We often place adds for stuff that we will pick up for free, because people want to throw stuff away and are actually "afraid" to put it in the trash/dump

I too dumpster dive...mostly I pull out tube steel and angle steel...or anything weldable I might could use..its a gold mine in some cases..

Also, I agree..I pull out mowers take them home, If I can fix easily then I sell cheap for a quick profit...If it is unreparable no biggie, I just take it back to the dump...

I hate it at some dumps that "dont" allow you to rummage? whats up with that...

I do know it is illegal in some states because as a citizen you have privacy acts in place to protect you and your trash..... Question
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 2:38 pm

I cant figure that out either - why at the local transfer station they wont let you at least pay what its worth in steel or throw them an offer - i imagine the workers get first dibs or they just want cash for the recycled steel. Up north where my dad goes they had some stuff real cheep out for sale - i saw a craftsman deck - said " how much? " kid sed " throw me an offer " - i was like " $15?" - he took it. It was complete- even had the belt and perfect mandrels with blades - heck for parts its worth that.

Once i saw a rusty but complete MTD with a 18HP twin set aside at the dump station- i went and asked if theyd sell it and they sed no. Bet a worker took that one home.

Ill go around n see if theres any free stuff by the road , used to check freecycle on yahoo all the time and post 'wanted free junk lawntractors' - the only thing they want is for you to post something for free as well.

I grabbed quite a few free tractors off there , even saw some on craigslist years ago.

Also like great deals - cheeper the better - tractor wise i detirmine wether its rebuildable or for parts - i dont care if they run or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dumpster diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dumpster diving   Dumpster diving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dumpster diving
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: