All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

To much play in steering

Go down 
+2
Doug
Kody6
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kody6
Kody6

To much play in steering Empty
PostSubject: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 4:20 pm

I have to much play in my steering any body have ideas on what to do without welding

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif?o=0&newest=1
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 5:41 pm

Kody6 wrote:
I have to much play in my steering any body have ideas on what to do without welding

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif?o=0&newest=1

Either do direct steering or splurge for a rack and pinion. There is no other real way to remove steering slop on a mower.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Kody6
Kody6

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 6:07 pm

Ok thanks
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2013, 8:00 pm

Make sure you check for and replace any sloppy tie rods. This is where a lot of slop comes from on mowers. I'd recommend heim style tie rod ends, as they don't pop apart under stress like the crappy ones that come on these tractors.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2013, 8:34 pm

how about steel bushings.. or maybe a piece of pvc as a bushing? some type of pipe to cut and slide is there.. or rubber...
Back to top Go down
Kody6
Kody6

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2013, 8:46 pm

Thanks for the ideas but I took a washer that fit tight and I welded it on
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 3:27 pm

On the steering if I swap to Heim joints what is the size of the thread on the 1/2 bar and on the bar that runs between the two stub axles. I have also noticed there is a lot of free movement on my front wheels should they be made up with washers so that there is minimal movement please?
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 3:52 pm

FOSWMT wrote:
On the steering if I swap to Heim joints what is the size of the thread on the 1/2 bar and on the bar that runs between the two stub axles. I have also noticed there is a lot of free movement on my front wheels should they be made  up with washers so that there is minimal movement please?
Regarding rod end thread pitch- every rod end I've ever seen is UNF. Therefore, if it is 1/2", the thread pitch is 1/2"UNF20. Check your existing threads.

Slop in the wheel or spindle is generally caused by bushing wear. Inspect existing bushings and replace as necessary. If the bore is hogged out by excessive wear, you may have to drill out to next standard size and purchase oversize bushings.
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2013, 4:25 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
FOSWMT wrote:
On the steering if I swap to Heim joints what is the size of the thread on the 1/2 bar and on the bar that runs between the two stub axles. I have also noticed there is a lot of free movement on my front wheels should they be made  up with washers so that there is minimal movement please?
Regarding rod end thread pitch- every rod end I've ever seen is UNF. Therefore, if it is 1/2", the thread pitch is 1/2"UNF20. Check your existing threads.

Slop in the wheel or spindle is generally caused by bushing wear. Inspect existing bushings and replace as necessary. If the bore is hogged out by excessive wear, you may have to drill out to next standard size and purchase oversize bushings.
I have renewed the bushes but have noticed one of my joints is rubbish was going to buy new but they are really expensive and pretty rubbish. This is why i was looking for Hiem joints . Thank you so much Doc
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To much play in steering   To much play in steering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To much play in steering
Page 1 of 1