All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

my riding lawn mower

Go down 
+3
dangeroustoys56
Jamus
NZHproduction
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

my riding lawn mower Empty
PostSubject: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 5:56 pm

its not exactly a off roading lawn mower right now i dont think im going to turn this lawn mower in to a off roading lawn mower i think more of a racing lawn mower for this one but i plan on buying another lawn mower for off roading. well heres some pics of my current lawn mower that i have
and ill get a picture of the engine later on i forgot to take a picture of that. engine is a 12 hp briggs
my riding lawn mower Photo0007
my riding lawn mower Photo0008
my riding lawn mower Photo0009
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 6:14 pm

dude that Is one kick ass bonnet! should make a good racer! what plans u got for it... i terms of traction, gearing that stuff
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 7:20 pm

bigbleuboy wrote:
dude that Is one kick ass bonnet! should make a good racer! what plans u got for it... i terms of traction, gearing that stuff
well right now i have to fix the trottle cause it broke so i think im going to put a gas pedal on it and then i want to switch the pulleys and im not quite sure what i want to do to the motor but maybe put a better spark plug and a different carb etc. if you have any ideas to make it go faster i would love to here what all you guys think i could do to it to make it go faster.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 7:31 pm

pulley swap is a simple easy way to do it, although i did see a guy on youtube fitting an old car gearbox to a lawnmower engine(with it geared down at the end) but with shift on the go it went pretty fast and was real stable cause the canter of gravity was so low, meh see what you think
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 7:51 pm

my riding lawn mower Photo0010
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 9:10 pm

Clean tractor, and BEST HOOD EVER! haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2010, 9:14 pm

Jamus wrote:
Clean tractor, and BEST HOOD EVER! haha
ya my dad i think had it custom made and he gave it to me as a xmas present haha
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2010, 4:09 am

Any serious speed, youll want to lower it and lower the seat, direct steering and brakes - i have a murray that went well over 30mph nearly stock and almost crashed more then a few times.

I built a mild mod MTD ( stock trans, variable pulley- smaller trans and larger motor pulleys) - i lowered the back simply with shorter profile tires, raised the front axle to the top of the frame and bolted the seat to the top of the chassis. Makes a VAST improvement in handling, i can lean right in and off the fender and do donuts all day long . I put a foot throttle on mine and used a 14.5 OHV briggs- its pretty snappy, but still somewhat slow- im ditching the variable pulley for a stacked pulley and really nail some speed.

I also started building a MTD with a 3 speed manual trans with the variable pulley to see what that would do.

My best one is still in the air-not built yet- a 69 wheelhorse's sheetmetal on a 2003 bolens chassis, 4-5" off the ground, 18.5HP twin opposed, peerless 700, straight rear axle, golf kart wheels- its going to be a rat rod with untouched sheetmetal and painted chassis( possibly- ill have to see it first).
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2010, 9:32 am

Wow. VERY clean. And very shiny. I like!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2010, 10:45 am

thanks, the throttle broke resently so i think im going to add a foot pedal and then i also want to switch the pulleys and do you guys know how much tires cost and do you know where a good place would be to get tires cause one tire has a leak and looks like its starting to crack and i think it would be better just to replace all of the tires. oh and did i mention to you guys that i got this lawn mower for free from my local lawn mower shop.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2010, 3:52 pm

I went to a flea market n bot my golf kart wheels for $40 - eventually ill need new tires , but for now, theyre good enough. Northern tools has them- so does TSC ( but theyre a bit expensive) . Ill need to get a pair of snowblower tires for my wizard when that gets built - im running 6" rims on that thing.

Best wheels for speed are go kart wheels , those too arent cheep.
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2010, 7:14 pm

im on a tight budget right now but i think i want to kind of hold off on buying parts for this lawn mower if i want to buy this one craftsman lawn mower for $100 http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/1912232501.html and i was thinking i could make it an offroad lawn mower
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2010, 5:13 pm

Id look for a cheep one- something with a decent motor but is in rough shape - i can find running ( well with a lil work on my part) tractors for under $50 - my last one was $25 MTD- 12HP motor runs , but i have to change the crank seal . It came with a 12HP parts motor, the rebuilt deck and a freebie parts craftsman- theyre out there- you just have to look locally and craigslist - some i got from friends, reletives, word of mouth.

Thats how i got my 29 tractors......only bought one brand new 18 years ago- rest were under $100- most were $50 or less.
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2010, 8:08 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Id look for a cheep one- something with a decent motor but is in rough shape - i can find running ( well with a lil work on my part) tractors for under $50 - my last one was $25 MTD- 12HP motor runs , but i have to change the crank seal . It came with a 12HP parts motor, the rebuilt deck and a freebie parts craftsman- theyre out there- you just have to look locally and craigslist - some i got from friends, reletives, word of mouth.

Thats how i got my 29 tractors......only bought one brand new 18 years ago- rest were under $100- most were $50 or less.
ya, but so you think i can find a cheaper one on craigslist but i just started really looking on craigslist for cheap mowers and i saw this one and thought it was pretty cheap for a lawn mower but i guess if i keep looking i can find a better deal.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2010, 8:48 pm

A good way I come across mowers is posting ads in the local paper. "Wanted: old junk ride-ons. will come pick up. " Works like a charm! I've only ever bought 2 out of probably 25 machines I have kicking around! People will give away near mint machines when they have money or have a new mower lol. I've even taken home 100% working mowers and mowed my lawn with one of them!
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2010, 9:02 pm

Ford Boi wrote:
A good way I come across mowers is posting ads in the local paper. "Wanted: old junk ride-ons. will come pick up. " Works like a charm! I've only ever bought 2 out of probably 25 machines I have kicking around! People will give away near mint machines when they have money or have a new mower lol. I've even taken home 100% working mowers and mowed my lawn with one of them!

i might try that but on craigslist what should i say in the ad do you think something like im looking for riding lawn mower for around 50 bucks or something like that
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 8:34 am

Keep in mind its also still mowing season- people will want more for thier stuff now - be patient and keep searching . I posted a want ad on freecycle and got a few off there .

Usually people will be more willing to get rid of thier old tractors if you put some amount of cash in the deal as well as the picking up part.

If you have some time one day- just ride around the neighborhood and see if any old tractors are in backyards with grass around them- could probably get them cheep or free as well.

Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 6:59 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Keep in mind its also still mowing season- people will want more for thier stuff now - be patient and keep searching . I posted a want ad on freecycle and got a few off there .

Usually people will be more willing to get rid of thier old tractors if you put some amount of cash in the deal as well as the picking up part.

If you have some time one day- just ride around the neighborhood and see if any old tractors are in backyards with grass around them- could probably get them cheep or free as well.

ya i posted an ad on craigslist but im just wondering what freecycle is
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 6:52 pm

the freecycle forum i signed on to was thru yahoo in my area- only stipulation was to ask for something free , you needed to post something to give away for free - i didnt have anything i wanted to just give away, but i still look for free stuff.
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 8:34 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
the freecycle forum i signed on to was thru yahoo in my area- only stipulation was to ask for something free , you needed to post something to give away for free - i didnt have anything i wanted to just give away, but i still look for free stuff.

oh is it the freecycle.net but i think i might keep on using craigslist for right now
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2010, 9:02 am

Yeah craigslist and the local flyer are usually what ive been checking sometimes - i cant really get anymore- have too many to work on as it is - plus my trailer doesnt have working lights - so thats another thing.

Since it is the mowing season, tractor prices have been sky high anyway- id wait till the fall, early spring ( spring cleanup) to try and score some more tractors- my last one i actually bot in december ( no snow here tho) - springtime means people clean the garage and shed- say get rid of that old broken tractor this year from the yard and buy a new one - stuff like that.

Be patient - youll find some- you have to look and watch. Dont wait tho- if you see one , call immediately - otherwise youll miss it. Thats how i got mine over the past 5 years and even before that. Dont be afraid to ask if you see one in someones yard ( that has sat for quite some time) - worst they can do is say no .
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2010, 2:25 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Yeah craigslist and the local flyer are usually what ive been checking sometimes - i cant really get anymore- have too many to work on as it is - plus my trailer doesnt have working lights - so thats another thing.

Since it is the mowing season, tractor prices have been sky high anyway- id wait till the fall, early spring ( spring cleanup) to try and score some more tractors- my last one i actually bot in december ( no snow here tho) - springtime means people clean the garage and shed- say get rid of that old broken tractor this year from the yard and buy a new one - stuff like that.

Be patient - youll find some- you have to look and watch. Dont wait tho- if you see one , call immediately - otherwise youll miss it. Thats how i got mine over the past 5 years and even before that. Dont be afraid to ask if you see one in someones yard ( that has sat for quite some time) - worst they can do is say no .

ya that sounds like a good idea i think my dad said that he seen a old lawn tractor in somes yard thats been sitting for a while maybe my dad could talk to the guy and see if he wants to get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Growl60
Growl60

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2010, 10:52 pm

Just a quick question, I dont know if it matters or not but why is the engine facing the opposite way?
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2010, 11:06 pm

Growl60 wrote:
Just a quick question, I dont know if it matters or not but why is the engine facing the opposite way?

i dont know thats the way i got it.
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 10:27 am

I list on Craigslist all the time, I put a request out a few months back for some riding tractors. It said:

"Free removal of lawn mowers, lawn tractors, and implements. Cash paid for better machines."

I had numerous hits, I got a couple items for free, and a lot of people asking $50 - $100 for running machines. I wasn't really interested in buying anything at the moment, but it was a good feeling that I could get something when I'm ready to buy. They are out there, you just need to look.

Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my riding lawn mower   my riding lawn mower Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my riding lawn mower
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next