All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Shaft powered lawn tractor

Go down 
+3
dangeroustoys56
Chunk
arild365
7 posters
AuthorMessage
arild365
arild365

Shaft powered lawn tractor Empty
PostSubject: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2010, 11:43 am

I wanted to know if any of you had a shaft driven lawn tractor. It would be ideal for water. I think some Cub cadets have have em. It wouldnt be too hard to make.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2010, 12:56 pm

It would be very easy to do with any lawn tractor. You'd need two Right Angle Gear Boxes, one under the engine and one on the tranny. That would give you a 1:1 ratio. Only problem is you'd need a proper clutch like a car. Can you tell I've thought about this before? lol. The biggest expence would be the RAGBs, theyre not cheap new.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2010, 3:57 pm

Someone somewhere mentioned about home making one out of two axles that have pinion gears - use two pillow blocks to support them - id say mount them to some square tubing ( L shaped) and add a cross brace - then build a box with oil seals out of steel sheets, welding all the sides but one ( to access the thing, bolt the unit to the bottom ( to remove it if needed) - i think its possible and sometime i wanna try it!

Only hard bit would be to mesh the gears correctly- might need to check it like when checking a differential ( to see if they mesh right).
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
ncredleg

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2010, 10:21 am

arild365 wrote:
I wanted to know if any of you had a shaft driven lawn tractor. It would be ideal for water. I think some Cub cadets have have em. It wouldnt be too hard to make.
I don`t see why a transaxle couldn`t be mounted at a 90 degree orientation to original and use a steering U-Joint attached to the input shaft . You would have to figure a method to clutch it though to change gears, unless it was a hydro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 7:51 am

my honda has a shaft n it goes ok in the mud its just kinda heavy if u get better tires itll do better
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 4:26 pm

The bigger cubs have shaft drive - they weight alot as well. Thats why alot of tractor pullers use a cub trans as a starting point.

I dont know how well a transmission mounted sideways would work - where would you mount it? They take up alot of room - plus theyre weak ( unless filled with oil and heavy duty berings) - only way to find out is build one actually.

Belts will still work when wet- IF theyre the better quality ones - i ran my agway in the mud and water up to the bottom of the motor and it still moved easily ( only lost traction from the crappy stock tires is all).
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 5:49 am

I had a bolens with shaft drive..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 7:36 am

Yeah that guy Tommarytn on YT uses all those old Bolens tractors with the wisconsin and kohler motors - neat things about those are the trans can be locked like a front axle on a 4x4 - just twist the knob on one of the rear wheels- plus the tube chassis is cool. He takes those things everywhere - mud, water.

The shaft setup is sorta weird- it hooks to the motor by belts- its not directly hooked to it - its mounted a few inches below the motor back to the trans.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 8:24 am

ive thought about doing this a few times but alot of times i dont have the money
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 1:41 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
The bigger cubs have shaft drive - they weight alot as well. Thats why alot of tractor pullers use a cub trans as a starting point.

I dont know how well a transmission mounted sideways would work - where would you mount it? They take up alot of room - plus theyre weak ( unless filled with oil and heavy duty berings) - only way to find out is build one actually.

Belts will still work when wet- IF theyre the better quality ones - i ran my agway in the mud and water up to the bottom of the motor and it still moved easily ( only lost traction from the crappy stock tires is all).

i had 2 similar tractors a few years ago and they both had the exact same belt, i replaced both belts within 2 months but i bought them at the same time because i knew id need it anyway one of them i could completely submerge and itll still grip fine but on the other it didnt take much at all and the belt was slipping and i had to get the other tractor to pull it out
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2011, 7:55 pm

On Tommarytn's YT cahnnel- when they went into deep water- water would spray up like a water fountain when the hood was open , just in front of the steering wheel- pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Shaft powered lawn tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaft powered lawn tractor
Page 1 of 1