All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Empty
PostSubject: ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams   ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 3:50 pm

You mods may want to add another section for Onan or "OTHER"

Here's some diagrams I came across on the onan engine I'm rebuilding for Red Fox. As soon as I find the link again, I'll add it. The page has everything you need to know to rebuild one of the engines, including part numbers

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams 00034407-00004_zps787e1861

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams 00034407-00001_zpse69cbbf3

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams 00034407-00005_zpsb3df188e

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams 00034407-00002_zps614593c4

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams 00034407-00006_zps58862893

hope this helps someone other than me
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams   ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 3:54 pm

I could have gotten a handful of Onan engines a while back... 2 16hp and 2 18hp if I remember.
Maybe I should have gotten them...  ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams 2429134702  lol
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams   ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 4:12 pm

The only thing I don't like about Onan is the parts pricing. IIRC, they are currently affiliated with Cummins. Bring your wallet. Lawren, thanks for posting. I have altered the categories to include Onan, and moved this in.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams   ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 9:56 am

Doc Sprocket wrote:
The only thing I don't like about Onan is the parts pricing. IIRC, they are currently affiliated with Cummins. Bring your wallet. Lawren, thanks for posting. I have altered the categories to include Onan, and moved this in.

Thats partly why I didnt get them. Still, they would have been cool...
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams   ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 12:23 pm

A good rule to follow is simply "NEVER turn down a free, or cheap motor"

Most old engines I've come across are victims of neglect... A good cleaning, maybe a gasket, and the thing runs like a champ.

I chose this motor for my build because:

1) since it came from an RV backup generator (60's Winnebago) it only had 78 hours on the hour meter.

2) since it was designed to run a 4000 watt generator head at full load, it has TONS of torque... While briggs has oppy's of the same hp that are much lighter, this one has automobile sized main journals and is all cast iron. If I want to mod it, it wont be difficult to swap in automotive parts (pistons, rods... I may even at some point consider machining the cyl block to accept WV jugs, pistons, and porche heads  affraid 

3) SINCE no one is snapping these motors up for mowers, I am finding them stacked everywhere, so junkyard parts availability is not an issue

These motors are great for high torque load applications where the extra weight of the motor is a help, not a hinderance. That's the upside... the downsides are

1) new stock or performance parts are STOOPID expensive, and the latter severely limited... standard hot rodding techniques will help a lot (port and polish, port match, etc) but you can't easily find race cams, etc.

2) the weight.... this thing weighs as much as a small 4 cyl vdub longblock. I wouldn't use this in a rally, or any other bounce around, pour the throttle on then hit the brakes application. For top end speed (NOT rpms, MPH) I'd run this motor with high gears, and let the weight add stability and torque power the high gears, Drag racing, I'd pick this motor. Pulling tractor, I'd pick this motor. Race mower? no way...Off road macine? I'd rather have a 12 hp briggs than this beast!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams   ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ONAN 20hp horizontal shaft opposed piston engine diagrams
Page 1 of 1