All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

General Transaxle Information + Myths

Go down 
+5
Angchor
Ariens YT11
1997 Murray
Doc Sprocket
Doug
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

General Transaxle Information + Myths Empty
PostSubject: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 10:48 am

This is some generic info I got from the ARMA Build Clinic. All of the following information is directly from the mouth of seasoned ARMA mower racers who have tried and experienced the following. A lot of this specifically applies to racing and high speed, but some applies to offroad.

Stuff in [brackets] are stuff I added in.

1.) On opposing shafts in most transaxles, the gear teeth equal 50. For example, a 23 tooth sprocket will be across from a 27 tooth. With the MST series, they equal 40.

2.) Shift keys are made out of spring steel. When they get hot, they will contract and begin to skip.

3.) Transaxles dont mind being overdriven as long as they are properly ventilated and use a quality lubricant (synthetic), torque is mainly what kills them. [This mainly applies to racing, as torque is a major factor in offroading.]

3-1.) Support the shaft when overdriving. Too much tension will wear out the case.

3-2.) 700 series transaxles should have AT LEAST a 1/4" inch mount plate.

4.) Tapping the Neutral Safety Switch hole for a vent is 100% OK. It gives you more beef for the threads.

5.) When assembling transaxle gear cassettes, be sure that the "bubble" in the shims face toward the shift keys. This helps to guide the keys into the gears.

6.) DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER ON OILITE BRONZE BUSHINGS! Bronze bushings are made out of a special material called Oilite, which is oil-infused bronze. This helps to lubricate and makes your bushings last longer. Putting parts cleaner or carb cleaner on them removes the impregnated oil and they lose their lubricating quality. When cleaning, just wipe off with a dry rag.

6-1.) Some transaxles, mainly in John Deere tractors, use STEEL bushings. If you can, replace them with Bronze Oilite, as when steel rubs on steel they get hot and weld together, which will destroy your case.

7.) CASE BOLTS DO NOT NEED TORQUED. Tight + 1/4 turn is good enough. You want them to be tight, not overtight.

7-1.) Transaxle cases are cast without threads, which are made by the bolts at the factory {self-tapping bolts). Because of this, when you re-assemble you run the risk of re-tapping your holes. To prevent this, put your bolt in the hole and turn it backwards until you feel a "drop", and then tighten.

8.) To measure your belt PERFECTLY, use an old oversized belt with a cut. Wrap the belt from the front to back pulley (bypassing the clutch), but run the belt on the INSIDE OF THE ENGINE PULLEY and along the OUTSIDE OF THE TRANSAXLE PULLEY, and clamp it. Then, when you go to get a new belt, it will be the perfect size and will match your clutch motion.

Thanks to Aaron Crowl, Philip Lytle, and the other ARMA racers for the info!

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 11:06 am

Some good info here, thanks for posting. I can add a couple points, too-

On the transaxle gear tooth count thing- this is true primarily for Peerless 700 and 800 units, however I DO have one set that totalled 49. I counted repeatedly to make sure. The point of the total count is to ensure that you've come up with a matched set.

Tranny vent- Get yourself a brass fitting that is 1/4"NPT on one end, 1/4" hose barb on the other end. The pipe end WILL thread nicely into the tranny's neutral switch boss, BUT- you may have to cut grind or file a few threads off the end of the fitting. If it threads in too far, it may interfere with part of the shifter fan. BOTH 700's that I have vented, as well as MULE's 930, I have had to do this.

Carb cleaner on oilite bushings- I'd take that one step further- do not use a solvent, period. They CAN be re-impregnated, but just avoid the whole thing.

Torquing case bolts- I wasn't there for the conversation, but as a general rule, I gotta disagree. Tecumseh-peerless published torque specifications for these things, and I'm gonna stick to them.

Tranny shift washers (what are referred to as "shims" in your text)- there are TWO designs, the bubble and the bevel. Yes- the bubble (convex side) gets installed towards the keys. In the case of the bevel style, install bevelled side towards the keys. They ARE fully interchangeable. If you have both styles, you don't need to worry about having them all the same. One is just a newer style than the other.

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 11:22 am

Thanks for posting that, they did go over a lot of that stuff I just didnt scribble it down in time.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2014, 10:37 am

The 915 peerless has a 12:1 ratio in high gear, the mst has a 15:1 ratio, and some older peerless and most spicers have a 9:1 ratio.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2014, 1:37 pm

Speaking of transaxles what ratio ?:? is a Peerless 844 5 speed?
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2014, 3:25 pm

The best way to find out is to put it in gear and see how many times you have to spin the input shaft to turn the axle once.  the 915 has a unique 5th gear and revirse power flow.

General Transaxle Information + Myths Proje101

the 5th gear locks the input gear to the shaft, and reverse is gear driven.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2014, 2:44 am

I have been cleaning sintered bronze bushings with mineral spirits for 4 decades. (Then just covering with grease and reinstalling.)

Never had any problem with premature wear.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2014, 8:16 am

Angchor wrote:
I have been cleaning sintered bronze bushings with mineral spirits for 4 decades. (Then just covering with grease and reinstalling.)

Never had any problem with premature wear.

As I love to say- Theory and practise are two different things. You've managed to get away with it- I've gotten away with no-no's too. But when it comes to handing out advice, we tend to stick to the known conventions.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2014, 12:07 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
As I love to say- Theory and practise are two different things. You've managed to get away with it- I've gotten away with no-no's too. But when it comes to handing out advice, we tend to stick to the known conventions.

Understandable.

And in the spirit of that, I should add a caveat.

I would not use carb cleaner, or brake cleaner or any of the harsher chemicals on them. They WILL dry the bushing out.

And I do not let the bushing sit for even the slightest amount of time, in the mineral spirits. I use a brush and a rag, and clean the bushing as quickly as possible.

Plus, this is only for bushings that cannot be cleaned by simply wiping them off with a paper towel, and/or rag.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2014, 12:21 pm

Is a parts washer OK for bushings?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2014, 8:40 pm

I dont think parts washers are as rough as brake cleaner, especially since it recycles crud water.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2014, 3:35 pm

Bronze Zintered Bushing, you can de-grease, machine (but with clean cuts) and wash in normal stuff, WD40 or something like that.
- To re-impregnate them if you machine them, you can cook them in SAE 30 oil @ 80 degrees celcius for an hour or so.

I've used them aslong as i can remember, we used them in High rev. model boat engines earlier too,
funny thing back then we removed the Needle Roller Bearings and inserted Bronze Bushing, totally the opposite of what Lawn Mower Racers do to the Peerless 700's.

- But quite logicly the roller bearings can fail and do so quite easily, but a well oiled Bronze Bushing don't.

We also drilled oil drain holes and filed oil grooves in them for a more "wet" run.

They work like when they get warm and get friction they release some of that oil they've been impregnated with on normal use.

Many oils can be used to impregnate them, chosen for they're use.

Bronze Zintered Bushing are rated 18000rpm, The Needle Bearings are not. (Tho im not sure how many rpm they handle).
Back to top Go down
mudman604

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2014, 4:07 pm

Is dipping the bushings in gasoline a nono to? I've only done to one tranny though.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2014, 6:54 pm

mudman604 wrote:
Is dipping the bushings in gasoline a nono to? I've only done to one tranny though.

Generally a no-no, but Thunder did mention a solution to this:

Thunderdivine wrote:

- To re-impregnate them if you machine them, you can cook them in SAE 30 oil @ 80 degrees celcius for an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
mudman604

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2014, 7:18 pm

OK I'll keep it on mind, that tranny blew because iIddidn't put the tabbed bushings in place! Lol thx
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2023, 7:48 pm

Here is some information on shift keys I had to dig for, probably worth having here.

General Transaxle Information + Myths Dddd0010

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Transaxle Information + Myths   General Transaxle Information + Myths Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Transaxle Information + Myths
Page 1 of 1