All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Getting Started on the Murray

Go down 
+5
redlinemotorsportts
Johndeere12@
camomanusa
lincolnmaniac
MurryMaddnes
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

Getting Started on the Murray Empty
PostSubject: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 11:29 pm

I am not sure what year this mower is. I do know that it has a 16h B&S with a 42 inch cutting deck that is currently not attached, it also came with a snow blower attachment. The transaxle is a peerless 2348 which I will probably keep for now.

What I plan on doing to it this spring.
Pulley Swap
Lock Transaxle
4 inch lift to accommodate larger tires
replace steering rag with steering u-joint
custom glass pack exhaust
custom gas peddle
relocate brake peddle
lay some new paint

This winter I plan of ripping it down and doing the following.
Replace transaxle
Leaf spring suspension on the front end.

Getting Started on the Murray 7p10
Getting Started on the Murray 5p10
Getting Started on the Murray 4p10
Getting Started on the Murray 2p10
Getting Started on the Murray 1p12

Last edited by MurryMaddnes on April 13th 2014, 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lincolnmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 4:16 am

nice!

looks like you are off to a good start.....i like the bumper mockup!
Back to top Go down
http://www.grandmarq.net
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 12:06 pm

Yah I still have to finish the bumper, figured I would lay it out and get a few pictures of progress. I work in a metal shop and operate lasers and waterjets so I have easy access to metal. The bolt hole plates to mount the tires that I made last week took a matter of minutes to draw up and cut on my machine.

Are there any suggestions or ideas that you guys think I should do or would be a better option than what I currently am thinking of doing.
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 12:12 pm

For now this is what I was thinking of for a tire set up, basically what I had lying around in my basement. The rear tires that were originally on the lawnmower will be moved to the front and a set of quad tires will be put on the back. Both will require custom mounting plates to mount to the lawnmower without having to weld them on. I want to be able to change them with ease.

Getting Started on the Murray Murry110
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 1:32 pm

looks good, what pulley ratio were you gonna use
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 1:55 pm

Not sure yet, any suggestions I am looking to get as much speed out of it as possible, so I can just blast through the mud. Any suggestions at all will be welcomed because this is my first build.
Back to top Go down
Johndeere12@
Johndeere12@

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 4:40 pm

Maybe put a double pulley clutch is with a adjustable tensional pulley if belt streches and a 5 1/2 pulley in front and 3 in the back thats what u run and it rips *****. I only have a 16 single to and u have a twin so that probably work well
 Question Question 
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 10:14 pm

Hmmm that might just work to be honest it sounds better than what I was thinking. lol thanks
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 10:41 pm

Metal shop sounds very handy. Nice murray, has a good trans in it, oil filled, bearings, iron case.
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2014, 11:11 pm

working in a metal shop has been very helpful not only in planning this project but others that I have worked on, and the trans does seem to be in pretty good shape, going to rip it down and go through it to make sure everything is in proper working order before I take it out on the trail and beat the ever living snot out of it.
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Started tearing down tonight.    Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2014, 11:26 pm

Well I started to take her apart to see what all needed to be worked on, took off the seat to get the gas tank out so that I can properly flush it and make sure all the cork from the float is cleaned from the bottom of tank, will be replacing fuel lines and filter, and probably rebuild the carb once I get a rebuild kit. Took the hood and grill off to see about the exhaust and plan how I want to make a new one, got a pretty neat idea I think but I will make you guys wait to see what I come up with. With the grill I have a few ideas but nothing set in stone. Will keep you all posted as things happen.

Getting Started on the Murray Tonigh10
Getting Started on the Murray Photo_10
Getting Started on the Murray Photo_11
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 7:20 am

not bad its looking good i like tires are they agressive
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 8:41 pm

I have a murray just like that but mine doesn't have that belt driven thing by the shifter what is that?
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 9:02 pm

Well to my understanding that pulley is attached to an alternator that feeds a voltage regulator and charges the battery while the motor is running. But I could be wrong.

Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 9:19 pm

the thing by he battery is a ragb, it allows the vertical shaft engine to run the horizontal shaft tranny with out twisting the belt
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 9:24 pm

oh ok. mine just had a twisted belt.
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2014, 10:14 pm

hahah thanks that makes more sense then what I was told. Thanks Richie

oh I think I figured out how I am going to route the brake, I am going to mount it on the right fender and use a custom parking brake lever that way I can lock the brake when need be.
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 29th 2014, 10:25 pm

Well this coming up weekend I will be welding up the front bumper, building luggage rack to mount on the rear, installing gas peddle, figure out where I am going to relocate brake lever, and weld up rims and plates so that I can put my tires on.
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeApril 30th 2014, 10:14 am

Sounds good, can't wait to see it runnin and driving.
Back to top Go down
MurryMaddnes
MurryMaddnes

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitimeMay 4th 2014, 10:25 pm

Well here is what I was able to accomplish this weekend started tearing her down a little more, got the bumper welded up and clamped on so I could see what it would look like and welded plates onto the inside of the rear rims so that they can be mounted. From the measurements that I have taken I will have to lift the Murray at a minimum 4 inches so that the tires clear and the clutch does not hit the front tires since they are about the same size as the rear just not as wide.

Pics look like crap because I used the ipad to take them. I will get better pics sometime this week.

Getting Started on the Murray One10
Getting Started on the Murray Two10
Getting Started on the Murray Three10
Getting Started on the Murray Five10
Getting Started on the Murray Four10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Started on the Murray   Getting Started on the Murray Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting Started on the Murray
Page 1 of 1