All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How MUCH oil do you use?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Angchor
Angchor

How MUCH oil do you use? Empty
PostSubject: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2014, 2:47 pm

Should I assume these engines just use a LOT of oil?

When I started on the craftsman, the dipstick showed a tiny bit over full.

Yesterday, only the very tip of the stick showed a tiny bit of oil.

It has only been run as long as the average time it takes to mow a lawn.

Is this too much oil use? Or do all these engines just use a lot of oil?

How much oil do you go through, and how quickly?
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2014, 3:34 pm

Nah, they usually don't use much unless they have a lot of use on them. Probably burning it. Just use some heavier oil and don't let it get too low. I've found that after the oil gets down a little, they don't burn it as quickly. I think with the splash system, it throws too much around when completely filled. Overfilling isn't really the best idea either, it'll just burn more yet. Which doesn't hurt a whole lot, just carbons everything up.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2014, 12:31 pm

Thank you Mr.M

I am using some 30 weight diesel oil for now. I'll swap to a thicker oil later, and put in some of that conditioner stuff that makes the oil extra sticky, so it stays on the gears and such, even during the long times that the engine is just sitting there, not running.

~~~~~~~

So... no one else goes through oil quickly?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2014, 1:58 pm

Not here, my single 12.5 and 16.5 opposed never leak/use oil. I wish gas was the same Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2014, 2:12 pm

mine might use 1/2 a pint every year, exept my tecumse, which uses about a quart and a half
Back to top Go down
the54
the54

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2014, 10:11 pm

Excessive oil consumption can be caused from a few things...

Piston rings being broken or worn out. Then they wear out they lose there springy properties because of the heat treating effect an engine will have on it.

Also, one that people never check or thing about it is the valve guides being worn out. Excessive valve guide clearance will let oil push by them more then normal causing it to get burned. When you get a chance to change the oil run straight 40 weight in it.

Is it burning blue smoke? Its normal for even the best engine to consume a little bit of oil over a period of time but considering your bunt through as much as you said it would have it would be burning a lot of blue smoke Is it leaking oil? Park it over some cardboard or something that will show oil spots on it. It could be a crank seal.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2014, 10:18 pm

It was the engine oil seal.

Took the engine apart. Removed the seal. Sealed with RTV instead. No more leaks!
Back to top Go down
the54
the54

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2014, 11:29 pm

cheers 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How MUCH oil do you use?   How MUCH oil do you use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How MUCH oil do you use?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: General Engine Tech-
Jump to: