All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

tranny question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 11:24 am

hey i was wondering what wieght gear oil i should put in my tranny. and also how much does it take to fill er up? i figure since im buildin a speed demon i should take out the reverse chain. i heard that can cause problems at the higher speeds. what do yall think?

thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 11:53 am

1st off- does it have oil in it now- or just bennonite grease ( its a real thick sticky black grease) ? If its just grease- theres no seals in the the trans, the oil will just leak right out. My murray actually had oil in it - i filled it with lucas oil additive ( super thick stuff- sticks to everything) i never had an issue with it - it made noises, but i figured slowing down from 30 plus MPH - itll do that.

Most racers pull the chain out so they dont accidentally hit reverse- i left the reverse in both my murray and MTD- but i put a c clamp in the shift gate to keep from shifting into it accidentally .
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 12:08 pm

oh i thought they did that to cuz it my fly off or somethin and break stuff.. i might keep it on then cuz it would be pretty hard to shift into reverse on accident.. do you know how i can seal it or what i need to buy to seal it?

peerless model 206
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 5:52 pm

Tp properly do it, youd need the trans case machined to fit new seals- theres other transmissions that actually use oil ( i have a few that run oil) - id just crack it open, clean that grease out and add zerks.

I drilled the MTD case for zerks - i socked the heck out of it with lucas oil grease. When i run it around i give it a couple hits of grease. Id like to see how fast i could wind up a stock MTD transaxle - might try that before the 6 speed swap - ditch the variable pulley and run a straight belt to a stacked pulley.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 6:02 pm

could you excplain that last part about the vairable pulley? thanks
also i think what im going to try is take out some grease around the sprocket gear things and pour atleast a little gear oil in while keepin it mostly grease especially around the edges. so i atleast have a little protection. im thinkin bout 3/4 grease 1/4 gear oil. but i would probably also replace the old grease with new grease
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 6:39 pm

from what i understood all you had to do was add a full hole and drain hole to your tranny, then when its open silicone it shut so the oil wont leak out, doesnt this work?
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 6:42 pm

yea i saw that vid feerlessfront did. bur im not worried bout it leaking from the case im worried bout it leaking from the different shafts. like the input shaft, drive shafts, and brake shaft.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 6:44 pm

yeah i completely forgot about that, all the axles have for a seal is a small piece of rubber thats not even tight in there. looks like im pumping mine full of greese now lol
i wanted to fill it with oil and get all that greese outta there but i cant do it till spring then my friend says mix it and i told him no, he just wants my old tranny for his tractor so he wants it as soon as he can get it
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 6:57 pm

looks like im just gonna have to do some test.. i think i mix should work pretty good. not as good as all oil but a big step up. might try half an half and if that leakes ill try 1/4 oil

or mabye see if i can find some shaft sealent(if they make such a thing) in my school auto shop. theres selves and shelves of different oils and liquids for auto stuff
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2011, 7:30 am

Variable pulley in a MTD is actually the transmission- depending where you place the shift lever and where the belt rides on the pulley setup depends how fast or slow it goes.

Heres mine on the MTD - its the first pulley on the left: tranny question File0015

Heres what it looks like :
tranny question Mtd_va10

Where the center part of the pulley is detirmines the position of the belt - sorta like a centrifigal clutch on a snowmobile - further down inside the pulley, faster it goes - the center part slides back and forth and the whole thing rotates.

Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2011, 10:49 am

oh haha thats weird looking. glad i just have a transaxle setup
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2011, 5:43 pm

yeah its a weird setup - only my MTDs have it- the rest of them have 'regular transmissions'.
Back to top Go down
Hillfolkr

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2014, 5:29 pm

The little bit I know.
Mtd's are wierd and don't bother looking for a trans if it's an mtd
But also don't forget how many other companies use a mtd and stick their name on it.
My 20hp v twin came from a bolens. That was a bummer to see a lousy mtd setup under it
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitimeOctober 3rd 2014, 5:39 pm

uhhhh this topic is from like 3 years ago lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tranny question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tranny question   tranny question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tranny question
Page 1 of 1