All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Quick connect jumper cables

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Quick connect jumper cables Empty
PostSubject: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Doc got my gears turning.. and my truck already had to be jump started once. as well as jump someone else.. SO. i am going to build some quick connect jumpers. Doc originally gave me the idea from his setup on MULE. Its basically going to be like a plow hookup, but instead of a plow, its going to be jumpers.

it will consist of as follows
-20 foot, 4 ga jumper cables
-30 inch 4 ga leads (from the battery to the connector)
- 1 set of connectors

should i add a solenoid, so i can turn it on and off as i choose, that way the connector at the battery isnt always live?

what do you guys think? good idea?

Quick connect jumper cables Cablrs_zpsfd777efe

Quick connect jumper cables Cables_zps86a1ce6f
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 pm

if i understand correctly seems like a good idea willis (400th post! lol)
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 5:26 am

I don't think the solenoid is really necessary. If you DO decide to use one, remember to select one that can tolerate several hundred amps.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 5:48 pm

yeah, wasnt sure about the solenoid. I just wasnt sure if it would be safe to leave the one connector always live. but as long as no monkies go poking around, it should be fine. yall think this is a worthwhile mod? or should i just say frigg it?
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 6:06 pm

willis923 wrote:
yeah, wasnt sure about the solenoid. I just wasnt sure if it would be safe to leave the one connector always live. but as long as no monkies go poking around, it should be fine. yall think this is a worthwhile mod? or should i just say frigg it?

I think it's a worthwhile mod.

But I think it would be simpler just to find an old pair of jumper cables. Cut the clamps off of one end. Connect the other end to your battery. Then clamp the two clamps that are left, to a piece of wood, or a piece of plastic cutting board, etc, that you bolt to the tractor somewhere.

Maybe cut a "sock" for the positive clamp, out of an old inner tube...
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Angchor wrote:
Then clamp the two clamps that are left, to a piece of wood, or a piece of plastic cutting board, etc, that you bolt to the tractor somewhere.

its not for my tractor! for my TRUCK!!! lol. my tractor dont even have a battery in it.. lol
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 7:18 pm

willis923 wrote:
its not for my tractor! for my TRUCK!!! lol. my tractor dont even have a battery in it.. lol

ROFLOL!!!

D'OH!!!

Brain fart. I blame it on the beans in my chili.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 7:28 pm

willis923 wrote:

I'd certainly do it, as long as you think you're going to use it. It is indeed useful for not only boosting, but BEING boosted. Sometimes powering other 12v goodies too. Obviously there's an expense involved, so I would think that you want to justify it.

In all existing applications that I know of (forklifts, plow trucks, whatever) the connector is constantly live. You'd have to go to some interesting lengths to have it be a problem, I think. You COULD for example, stick a pair of scissors into the connector- thus shorting the terminals together- but you wouldn't be holding the scissors for very long...
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
In all existing applications that I know of (forklifts, plow trucks, whatever) the connector is constantly live. You'd have to go to some interesting lengths to have it be a problem, I think. You COULD for example, stick a pair of scissors into the connector- thus shorting the terminals together- but you wouldn't be holding the scissors for very long...

like the other day? i was testing the deep cycle battery in our dump trailer. accidentially put one of the leads into the COM port on my voltmeter... lets just say both leads got very.. very.. hot.. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick connect jumper cables   Quick connect jumper cables Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick connect jumper cables
Page 1 of 1