All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

(almost) ready to haul buttcheeks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Torotorquehorse

(almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Empty
PostSubject: (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2014, 11:33 pm

Ok guys while I was showering I got to thinking if I gear my mower to a 1:1 ratio I can't take off in 6th gear, but I also am not supposed to shift while I'm driving because the peerless 820-024 is not a shift on the go system. I want to be able to go about 10mph and still be able to use sixth gear because at a 1:1 ratio if I rev up the mower and dump the clutch I don't want to break the tranny. If shifting while I drive won't hurt the tranny I will do that but I've heard thats a good way to break them. Does anyone have an idea as to what I could do, I'm also running 23"x9.50-12 rear tires.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2014, 11:46 pm

This is a good argument for separating the brake from the clutch.

If you push in the clutch, and the brake is engaged, you essentially have to start off in whatever gear you choose.

But if you can disengage the clutch, without slowing down, shift, then let the clutch back out smoothly, then there is no problem with shifting on the fly.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2014, 7:59 am

Angchor is right. Seporate the brake an clutch will allow you to clutch without slowing much but. More so than just clutchin it you need to slow the motor so that the transition to the next gear is smooth. My mower runs 30mph. Im running a peerless 820 with 26" tires and i have no trouble. Most of the time dont even use thae clutch i just let up on the gas. My mower runs 6" front an a 5" rear. 26" tires and a gas pedel on an ungoverned 16.5 briggs. My setup works great for me. My trans is a 5 speed so my gears are a lil more spaced out. I usualy start out in 2nd an shoft out. My still pulls good wheelys in 4th. An iv hade no trans trouble. Hope this helps your decision
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2014, 9:26 am

You should watch some of the mowrons videos of their rally mowers. They run Peerless 820's.  They repair the shift keys in their trannies I think once a year?  But, they beat the crap put of their trannies in return Razz.  You may also be able to pull out in 6th gear if ya have a foot throttle.  Then you can drive it like a car.  Don't worry about stressing your tranny alot, those Peerless 820's are the best vert. shaft input tranny that you can possibly find! LOL
Back to top Go down
Torotorquehorse

PostSubject: getting ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2014, 12:12 pm

Thanks guys, right now my mower has two pedals one for the brakes and one for the clutch. I will soon be adding a gas pedal, and I will be locking the transaxle as soon as I can. I will post about it in the project build section when I get around to it.
Back to top Go down
RCTankboy

PostSubject: Re: (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2014, 1:29 pm

ACK! Gas pedals! Separate Brake pedals! Locked Diffs! Kill switches!

Will you guys quit adding to my to do list!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks    (almost) ready to haul buttcheeks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

(almost) ready to haul buttcheeks
Page 1 of 1