All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

22hp intek vtwin running rough

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
donaldcon
donaldcon

22hp intek vtwin running rough Empty
PostSubject: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2016, 6:29 pm

Still having issues with my vtwin.

Engine ran great a few weeks ago.
Then it randomly lost spark.
I found if I unhooked the kill wire from one coil both got spark back, so I ran the wires to a seperate toggle.

It may be unrelated but since then it has had a misfire of sorts. I pulled the plugs and found what appeared as though the cylinder was running rich and the other lean. I replaced plugs, and cleaned the carb. Seemed to run pretty good in the garage but out in the woods underload it runs like crap.

Pulled the plugs again same scenery
22hp intek vtwin running rough 69bc87a20dd9e6d2d77ae8e334894675

I cleaned plugs up and switched them side to side and unhooked kill wires from both coils to make sure they were not somehow back feeding each other and ran it, pulled plugs and same deal.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? I haven't fully rebuilt the carburated becuase cheapest kit I've found was $50 and I don't want to spend it if it is another issue.

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2016, 9:26 pm

Just a thought, If the cylinder that is running rich is the lower one, maybe the float level is a little too high and is dumping a little extra gas into the motor. Since a liquid will always fall downward, the extra gas will go to the lower cylinder. Just a thought, I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
MasonMcK
MasonMcK

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2016, 12:24 am

Your problem is more than likely either a clogged intake manifold or a sticking or an out of adjustment valve. The restriction in flow to that side will prevent both cylinders from getting equal air/fuel mixture thus causing one side to run rich and the other lean. And the coil issue sounds like one of your magnetos went bad so I would replace them both. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2016, 5:40 pm

I swapped coils side to side and put in new plugs. Same thing as before with no change. So definitely getting more fuel to the "low" cylinder.

Don't have a compression tester so can't check that till.I get one. But pulled valve covers and everything appears ok.

Removed the carb again and tore it down as far as I could. I think one of the fuel tubes were clogged. Took some spraying to get the cleaner to come out the other side of hole.

Now I'm having issues finding a complete rebuild kit online.

One I did find doesn't match the numbers on my carb but looks the same as my parts.

But it was $75.

Can't find an identical newcarb either but I found one that looKS very close minus the bowl for $103

Quite frankly I'd rather spend $25 more for brand new than 75 for some gaskets.

Here is an eBay auction for one that looks identical to mine (notice the bowl)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=322014962074&alt=web

This is the very similar carb I found. Will it work?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=381481256823&alt=web

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2016, 8:47 pm

Has the carb been removed? i have heard of people over tightening the bolts on the plastic manifold and causing it to suck in air and throw the mixture off in a cyl. long shot, but just what ive seen.
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2016, 10:43 am

Put a new carb on it.

When installing noticed the manifold didn't sit exactly flush so I doubled up in the gaskets.
https://vimeo.com/157917683

New carb and it's like a new engine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 22hp intek vtwin running rough   22hp intek vtwin running rough Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

22hp intek vtwin running rough
Page 1 of 1