All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Selectable locker idea

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
moparjim
moparjim

Selectable locker idea Empty
PostSubject: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 10:06 am

I've seen threads about selectable lockers on here and talk about limited slip diffs for transaxles. I believe I've thought of the easiest way to make a selectable locker for a transaxle. It could probably use some refining and a way to make it lower profile, but I don't see how it couldn't work. Sorry for the crude drawing, but it is a quick sketch here at work. The hardest part would be designing the locking mechanism between the two shafts. Selectable locker idea 20170210
As I loaded the picture, I thought if there was a way to make a tube with brass sleeves instead of the pillow blocks, that could make it a little more compact.

Let me know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 10:46 am

So it would be like an external locker? Thinking outside the box are we? lol! I like it
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 10:56 am

Yes, I got to thinking it would be the easiest route for a true selectable locker. The best thing, it leaves the internals of the trans stock, which helps durability. And, is completely bolt on (in theory) so minimal modifications/machining necessary to make it install on the trans. In theory, it could be made for almost any trans made for tractors. The person would have to notch the frame for the locker axle to clear but other than that, piece of cake.
Back to top Go down
sadeoo7
sadeoo7

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 10:57 am

i was thincking about something similar but using an electric clutch so i could just flip a switch to lock the rear.
Back to top Go down
http://gdftech.com
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 11:00 am

I figured this idea could use a posi lock cable like for a pto. One you would pull out and turn 90* to lock the cable in place. just as easy imo.
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 11:13 am

This is what I envisioned using for the coupler. One side would be fixed solid, the other side would slide side to side to engage and disengage. There would be some rotational slop between the two, but it wouldn't be much. There would also be a spring on the end of the cable so it could be engage on the go, and make it easier for it to engage. The only thing for the design using these is you would have to have someone with a lathe cut a groove in the sliding side so a "shift fork" could be made to slide the coupler sleeve in and out of engagement. Selectable locker idea Jaw-fl10
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 11:14 am

What if you were to mount the locker shaft to the frame itself instead of the trans. Just put the pillow bearings in the vertical plates in the chassis and run your shaft through
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 11:22 am

That would work as well also. I didn't think of that at first, but now that you mentioned it, it would work better. It could truly be a universal system then, regardless of what trans you have. You could have anything from a hydro to even a foote or spicer trans. The locker shaft would be made from a 1" gokart axle for strength so it would take all the torsional load off the ttrans and in theory make the trans last longer. Good idea bud. The only other thing I would add would be some sort of chain guard or cover, since there would be a lot of mud/dirt/debris thrown around that could jam up the chains.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 11:41 am

I think if you were to put a chain guard, it would collect mud and jam it up. Leaving it open will be like an atv, the mud can hit it, but to wont stay on it long
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 12:17 pm

True, I guess you could just use the o-ring chain the quads use and basically forget about it. I'm pretty amped up about this now, I might build something for the buildoff just featuring this as the main idea. Credit would be given where its due of course to the design changes from CraftsmanQuad. Just so happens that the Ford I'm building for my buddy is the perfect candidate for this feature.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 1:08 pm

Glad I could be of assistance Wink

The plan will probably change more down the road too as it is applied. How strong would that shaft have to be anyway? It wouldn't necessarily need to be welded, so could it be just some round stock? There wont be any load on it like an axle, it will be more like a jackshaft, so purely rotational load (torsion?).
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 1:28 pm

Well, I was planning on using a basic 1" gokart axle for cheapness, simplicity, and strength. It's a more common size, will hold up great, and will hold up better being 2 pieces. It'll be overkill for the 3/4" axle transmissions, but at the same time, work fine for the 820's, 633's, and 2300's. I guess there would be an application for the 3/4" sized setup, and I suppose it would hold up ok being a shorter shaft, but I like to err on the side of being overbuilt. The biggest variable would be chain length, due to different mounting locations on the different types of frames on tractors, and how it could be actuated. It could be either cable or lever depending on how much room you have and your personal preference. (I personally like the cable idea). I was going to design it on a plate so it would be easier to mount and less chance of installation error. Also, it would eliminate the possibility of misalignment of the engagement rod.

Just had another brainstorm.... What if it was made to default on? In other words, if something failed with the engagement method, it would automatically engage as a "protection" measure. So, when its disengaged, it would be holding itself out under spring tension.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 2:15 pm

That could work. i would do a manual lever that actuated it and had a lock on it like a raise/lower lever
Back to top Go down
moparjim
moparjim

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2017, 3:13 pm

I'll keep posting up on this, it will be getting built. I'll try to get a better picture of how it will be set up.
Back to top Go down
TheBeal
Veteran Member
TheBeal
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2017, 4:45 pm

This may be of some interest for your idea...
2-speed gearbox

Splined shaft would be good.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2018, 8:23 pm

Came across this by accident, Cool concept. any progress on it yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selectable locker idea   Selectable locker idea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Selectable locker idea
Page 1 of 1