All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

First Off-Lawn ride

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tour1

First Off-Lawn ride Empty
PostSubject: First Off-Lawn ride   First Off-Lawn ride Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2019, 9:25 am

Finally got to try my '88 11hp in the rough (sort of). It did well considering I have no experience with any other riding mower. Seemed to spend a lot of time on 3 wheels, i.e. 2 rears and a front. I also had trouble shifting a few times when on a slope because using the brake to hold it still also keeps it from moving a smidge when it changes gears. At least that's what I think happens.
I towed a wagon, similar to a radio flyer type but modern wheels and folding canvas construction. I used a tie-down strap hook on the tractor end and attached the strap to the wagon by its handle. When it was loose it chose it's own path and this didn't work well going down hill. A stiff connection is a must for down hill, lesson learned.
Weeks ago I started building a path where the slope reaches 15° but a dead tree has fallen half way to it so I couldn't just head for it. My crew was bored and started doing work-ish things so I had to help them or feel bad about frolicking on the machine while they worked. Part of what we do is finding nice building block rocks and bringing them down to make stuff, like a curb or a fire pit. The crew decided that they would rather carry rocks or pull the wagon down hill by hand. Pulling the wagon up hill empty is easy so I parked it for a while.
I was waiting for a break in the rock handling so I could use a chainsaw to deal with the fallen tree when it started raining. I wanted to see the property in the rain so it was good for the plan, but the tractor was done for the trip.
Back to top Go down
Tour1

First Off-Lawn ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Off-Lawn ride   First Off-Lawn ride Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2019, 9:39 am

I messed up the image posting somehow, but if you can see this the tractor is the red thing left of the van.  The cement blocks at lower left are the test path where the slope straight up hill is getting over 15%. The blocks create a path that is level side-to-side while climbing the hill diagonally at 15% slope.
First Off-Lawn ride 20190811

Last edited by Tour1 on August 19th 2019, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text after correcting a left-right mix up.)
Back to top Go down

First Off-Lawn ride
Page 1 of 1