All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

My Murrat well thats what i call it.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MSteele323

My Murrat well thats what i call it. Empty
PostSubject: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 9th 2010, 11:28 pm

Here are a few pics of the Murrat.
My Murrat well thats what i call it. IMAG0007-5
My Murrat well thats what i call it. IMAG0005-5
And for those whom have not seen it on youtube.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 5:22 am

I saw that first video of yours on the Murray the other day, Im not sure if Im subscribed! That paint does look great though. What kind is it?

By the way, that two seater trike looks cool Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 8:55 am

Cool- i like the blue paint job. Thats another model murray i want to find ( id like to get a bunch of different styles - eventually) - My 90 murray has the same clutch problem- pedal is slow to return - i havent actually bothered to look at it, probably a spring or something causing it.

As for wiring - i posted a couple wiring schematics up in the engine section of the forum- its not that hard to rewire a tractor.

Plans for it? Could change pulleys for a lil speed- BUT youd need to change the steering- the factory murray steering has way too much slop ( my modded murray did - specially at 30 plus mph) - and brakes are terrible.
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 2:49 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Cool- i like the blue paint job. Thats another model murray i want to find ( id like to get a bunch of different styles - eventually) - My 90 murray has the same clutch problem- pedal is slow to return - i havent actually bothered to look at it, probably a spring or something causing it.

As for wiring - i posted a couple wiring schematics up in the engine section of the forum- its not that hard to rewire a tractor.

Plans for it? Could change pulleys for a lil speed- BUT youd need to change the steering- the factory murray steering has way too much slop ( my modded murray did - specially at 30 plus mph) - and brakes are terrible.
Well the steering is sloppy on mine and as for brakes....well.....i just hope to stop.
I had a 79 Dynamark when i was 10 and a couple years ago i had a MTD tradesman 12 HP B&S ( I regretted giving that one away ) the past two i had no clue on how to work on them. and i am learning now on how to work on the Murrat.
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 2:55 pm

Chunk wrote:
I saw that first video of yours on the Murray the other day, Im not sure if Im subscribed! That paint does look great though. What kind is it?
The paint was Rustolem ( Trimclad In Canada ) metallic blue spray paint . The go-cart next to it is painted with the same paint and that paint job is 2 years old.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2010, 4:30 pm

When i first started messing with lawntractors ( about 17 years ago) - i had only basic knowledge of thier workings- i learned the bulk of them just by taking them apart and putting them back together. The only thing ive never really done on tractors is engines - never tore one down and rebuilt it.

I get all my tractors as junkers- some i rebuild, some i parts, some become mods.
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 10:25 am

Well i found out today the Murrat is a 85 model.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:05 am

Really- the rear fenders look sorta like my 90's murray - i figured it was newer. I havent found any real cheep around of that style ( its cool looking)- haveta wait n see.
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:24 am

according to the numbers on the block its a 85, But i wonder if the motor has been swapped at some point.
Oh yeah , I took the carb apart and discovered rust ans dirt in there. So i cleaned it out as best as i could and put it back together.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:23 pm

Its possible - i know almost all my tractors came with thier original motors ( a few were replaced because the PO told me) .

You can tell older from newer motors ( briggs) - older motors , mostly all came with metal shouds in black, later on came in red and black - really old ones came in white - all metal shrouds. Older ones had thier data stamped into the metal near the spark plug - - later model ones had a plate on the shroud top. I think after 2000 briggs shrouds came in plastic ( my 03 murray is the only one with a plastic shroud) .

Seems most older motors are also general HP numbers- like 5- 8 - 10 -11-12 - while later models come in with 12.5 - 13.5 -16.5 stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:29 pm

im sorry why do you call it a murrat, i thought it was a murray
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 10:28 pm

arild365 wrote:
im sorry why do you call it a murrat, i thought it was a Murray
Its a nickname. How i I came up with Murrat was by mistake since i cannot type for crap, and when i type Murray i would mistakenly hit the T key instead of the Y key . So the nickname just stuck.
dangeroustoys56 are there any other ID numbers on the body of the tractor i need to look at? The decal on the back says For the date the number 1280 . And the model number being 0-38608x92b.
On my first Video of the tractor about 1:57 into the video i show the decal on the back.

Last edited by MSteele on April 23rd 2010, 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 10:30 pm

oh haha well got work on your murrat Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2010, 8:48 pm

Man i have a 85 Murray too,looks just like mine!!
Mines still red though,probably going to be painted flat black.
I have a 16 HP Vanguard Twin i'm going to be putting on it too.
Going to be my tow rig
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2010, 3:12 am

Gotta have a tow rig! Thats what my MTD is gonna be for!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Murrat well thats what i call it.   My Murrat well thats what i call it. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Murrat well thats what i call it.
Page 1 of 1