All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

stator output ac

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2023, 1:34 pm

I have a 22 hp v twin briggs, it has a electric pt , Ive checked the out put on the stator and I can't get any more than 24 volts out of it and only 12.5 out of the regulator...........the battery is holding at about 12.5 to 12.7 enough to keep it starting ......I have used the deck only once to cut my lawn after i put in two new spindles and bearings in the other ... along with three new blades........it is now sitting  and covered up......

I'm reading that I should be getting a minimum of 31 volts ac out of the stator and up to 14 out of the regulator............

both are low numbers.............do I need to buy a 16 amp stator and  new regulator ..........or will the stator salve the low output on the regulator ??
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: Re: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2023, 5:59 pm

First off, I'm not sure where you've gotten your numbers as they don't match the official B&S Alternator guide, here's a link to it so you can follow their exact guide just to be sure.

ENGINE ALTERNATOR REPOWER GUIDE - Briggs & Stratton https://www.briggsandstratton.com/content/dam/briggsandstratton/na/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf

With that said it's possible there's rust on the stator laminations (similar to what happens on a ignition coil) inhibiting that last little bit of power you feel you should be seeing but it depends on what stator you have, the 16amp calls for 26 volts AC so you're darn close, did you have it at the required 3600 for the test? Actual charging is measured in amps and with a fully charged battery there's nothing to charge so the regulator is just making sure the battery stays topped off, bet if you put a battery with a low charge in you'll see the output amps and volts go up until the battery is fully charged (to it's specific capacity).

There's some stuff to chew in, hope it helps!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

MightyRaze and JB_4x4 like this post

Back to top Go down
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: Re: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2023, 3:01 pm

thanks for the info.....this morning I had to move it because i needed to do a little welding on a spring bracket on my snow blade.....I ended up starting it three or four times before I parked it again........I checked votage at the battery before I shut it down and the regulator wa putting out 14 volts.......so i guess all is well..........

I mounted a winch on the back end the other day....i'm going to winch it up on my trailer tomorrow with motor running and check to see what the regulator is putting to the battery......if it runs the winch I'm sure it won't have any problem with the power pt.......
thanks  again.......

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: Re: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2023, 4:36 pm

If the winch is wireless, I would disconnect it when not in use a while. They drain the battery.

stator output ac Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
stator output ac Sig214stator output ac Sig314

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
DiGiacomo
DiGiacomo

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: Re: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2023, 5:40 pm

I have all the wires tucked into a piece of pvc pipe attached to the back end of the body......so it only takes a few seconds to clip on to the battery an use it on the tractor or slide it all out of the hitch and use it wherever i can chain it down........i like to do this stuff...it keeps an old man's brain active.......and I am very lucky to have a wife of 53 years that's just smiles at my shenanigans stator output ac 1f603

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: Re: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2023, 7:17 pm

Thats awesome! I am also a fan of keeping the brain active. Kind of a use it or lose it attitude for me.

stator output ac Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
stator output ac Sig214stator output ac Sig314
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

stator output ac Empty
PostSubject: Re: stator output ac   stator output ac Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stator output ac
Page 1 of 1