All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

[24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TechnoChicken
Established Member

Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

[24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"   [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2024, 9:11 am

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Not really surprised at all that a 3” pulley gets hot. I’d try more belt tension. Friction from the belt will usually make more heat than what the engine transfers to it through the crank. Most of your clutching slippage should be at the engine pulley, if the belt is moving then the trans pulley should be moving. Only time the belt should slip at the trans is when you’re rolling in gear with the clutch pushed in, so the trans pulley should stay fairly cool. I was just looking at this yesterday on the lawn ranger, the engine pulley was pretty hot but the trans pulley was just warm.
Will do, either I need a better spring, or the clutch is bottoming out I will try to look at that this afternoon.
Not sure if this is normal with these trannys but this one (633a?) gets pretty warm after you drive it for 10 minutes or so at high speed.

Other thing for guys that run these unsynchronized transaxles, I have to whip this thing pretty hard to get it to shift, any tips on shifting these? You double clutch? let off the throttle before shifting? Hold er to the floor through the shift?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"   [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2024, 10:26 am

The 1-2 shift on a 633 is pretty much impossible imo, the 2-3 is manageable. You gotta find the sweet spot in the revs to do it and be pretty quick to avoid a lot of grinding. You’re pretty much gonna have some no matter what you do. If your belt doesn’t stop when you push the clutch in that makes it sort of unpredictable as to where the easy shift zone is, I do know that much.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"   [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2024, 11:36 am

Shifting depends like Rich said belt speed and catching it right.

With that 3 inch trans and 7 inch engine, your shifting will be pretty hard. Maybe even from full stop. Stock sizes, I can shift my ST between 1-3 pretty well most of the time. Marshal is a 2-3 only shift due to the faster belt speed due to pulley swap. Only trans that is harder to shift for me on the fly is a 2300.

[24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
[24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Sig214[24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Sig314
Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"   [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2024, 12:51 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
Shifting depends like Rich said belt speed and catching it right.

With that 3 inch trans and 7 inch engine, your shifting will be pretty hard.  Maybe even from full stop.  Stock sizes, I can shift my ST between 1-3 pretty well most of the time.  Marshal is a 2-3 only shift due to the faster belt speed due to pulley swap.  Only trans that is harder to shift for me on the fly is a 2300.
Not a huge deal but the front is 9", really aggressive I know.

Sounds like I don't have it too bad, the 1-2 is def. harder then the 2-3 but the 2-1 downshift I can get perfectly synchronized 90% of the time making for a really easy shift. First time I downshifted like that I thought it didn't go into gear because it was so smooth compared to the 1-2 upshift. I've found if you keep it to the floor during the shift and whip it between gears it usually shifts OK.
3rd high on this is almost useless due to the crazy pulley swap, it's really only useful on the road and takes a really long time to get up to speed, I wouldn't recommend anyone else does more then 9-4, I'm limited by the torque this 420 chinese engine can put out at this point. (And the belt lol)

CRAFTSMAN MUDDER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"   [24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[24] TechnoChicken's "Dave the Democrat"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2