All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Huskee supreme cutting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

Huskee supreme cutting  Empty
PostSubject: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 9:29 am

My huskee supreme cutting some really thick stuff yesterday.

Huskee supreme cutting  Img_1977

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 3:43 pm

muddybasilisk wrote:
My huskee supreme cutting some really thick stuff yesterday.

Huskee supreme cutting  Img_1977
That's not a terrible mower actually, Briggs twin and that 46" deck make for a nice combo that cuts decently quick (nothing close to the 54" though) because of the triple blade. Only complaint I would have is the crappy varidrive (although the pedal is way better then the plastic on the dash) those just are way less smooth, precise and reliable then the hydros.

Nice stuff, although a little early in the year?
[EDIT] Must be pretty south, that grass looks pretty green for april.

muddybasilisk likes this post

Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 5:36 pm

Yeah DFW . Mowing season is loooong here. I’m fine with the 46 inch as it’s wide enough but not too wide to get through gates. Varidrive has been treating me well no reliability issues so far even though the belts are really old. I got this mower for free anyways. People rag on MTD so much but I think they’re good.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 12:09 am

muddybasilisk wrote:
Yeah DFW . Mowing season is loooong here. I’m fine with the 46 inch as it’s wide enough but not too wide to get through gates. Varidrive has been treating me well no reliability issues so far even though the belts are really old. I got this mower for free anyways. People rag on MTD so much but I think they’re good.

GREAT lawn mowers, ok-ish for modding, but your work would cut out for you.

Huskee supreme cutting  Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Huskee supreme cutting  Sig214Huskee supreme cutting  Sig314

TechnoChicken and muddybasilisk like this post

Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 7:44 am

muddybasilisk wrote:
They really aren't good at all when you go to a lower price point, you are running a slightly higher end machine.
MTD is really just like American car companies, they aren't really the most reliable cars but they are usually cheap and easy to fix.
That being said there really is no point in buying a throwaway mower with a 42" stamped deck, those things are just piles of garbage. The main reason why people dump on them here is the forum is primarily for modification (Doesn't mean we can't talk about cutting grass Smile ) and alot of the guys are looking at those toothpick frames and body panels that are like aluminum foil and take a hard pass for offroading. Doesn't mean they can't make a decent mower that makes sense if you are on a budget and need something cheap, as long as reliability doesn't matter.

We used to run all MTDs down here and it was horrible, we'd buy the cheapest mowers and fix them as cheaply as possible, we needed 5 just to have 2 running at any given time. We ended up selling them all and buying another piece of garbage; the John Deere S160. It's just chinese junk, but at least it's new so it's been really reliable so far, haven't had any issues with it.

ranch king pro 08 and muddybasilisk like this post

Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am

I guess I got lucky because she's been really good to me. No reliability problems at all. When I got it from my aunt all it needed was a new solenoid. Fired right up after sitting for 4 years. I guess MTD can be hit n miss as with most things. I don't have any experience with the bad stuff so from what I've seen they're good. All the idlers spin fine, spindles real smooth and the varidrive works pretty well. I think the benefit of the varidrive is it's relatively simple compared to a hydro. All the components are on the outside and the transmission is a very simple single speed. I plan on keeping this machine a grass cutter and it's been working very well for that so I'm happy with it
Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 12:10 pm

muddybasilisk wrote:
I guess I got lucky because she's been really good to me. No reliability problems at all. When I got it from my aunt all it needed was a new solenoid. Fired right up after sitting for 4 years. I guess MTD can be hit n miss as with most things. I don't have any experience with the bad stuff so from what I've seen they're good. All the idlers spin fine, spindles real smooth and the varidrive works pretty well. I think the benefit of the varidrive is it's relatively simple compared to a hydro. All the components are on the outside and the transmission is a very simple single speed. I plan on keeping this machine a grass cutter and it's been working very well for that so I'm happy with it
Part of that is you have the double belt solid engagement system instead of the cable, although I do like the electric clutch bc one belt is simpler.
A lot of the issues people have are due to bad (aka no) maitenence, these things usually get run hard and stored outside which is not a good idea

muddybasilisk likes this post

Back to top Go down
muddybasilisk
muddybasilisk

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 12:34 pm

I do like the belt clutch system. It works really well. One thing I like is if you hit something hard enough it’ll throw the belt off the left spindle which seems to reduce shock to deck components (found this out when I hit some clippers someone left that were completely obscured by the grass) I agree that usually these are run pretty hard with no maintenance. I like to take care of my stuff though so I scrape the grass off the deck every run and stuff like that. Been mowing since I was about 4 on my grandpas zero turn

TechnoChicken likes this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 9:03 pm

> People rag on MTD so much but I think they’re good.

I would take any riding mower by MTD over a push reel mower. I bought at an auction one of those expensive dual reels mower, the reels are powered, but, you get the pleasure of pushing it over your Bermuda or baseball field grass. After a few passes in my patch of yard and weeds, the novelty wore off, and I sold that fast.

TechnoChicken and muddybasilisk like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskee supreme cutting    Huskee supreme cutting  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Huskee supreme cutting
Page 1 of 1