All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Front spindle extensions without welder??

Go down 
+10
1997 Murray
Stretch44875
dked41
arild365
Webmaster
motorhead45102
CMHN
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
indianaboy93
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
indianaboy93

Front spindle extensions without welder?? Empty
PostSubject: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 12:30 pm

hey, been on here for awhile but never posted anything. Alittle shy i guess. Embarassed lol

Well, i was thinking about doing the front spindle extensions like fearless and many others do but i don't have access to a welder. My question is, do you guys think i could use JB Weld to attach the bolts to the spindles and it not break? My thinking was that since the wheel wasn't riding on it that it would hold up. But i'm a newbie so idk. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks afro
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 1:06 pm

If the tractor was left stock - maybe. Offroad - no - too much stress on the spindles.

Next alternative would be to buy new spindles or find some off another tractor with the proper spindle length.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 1:15 pm

yea mine is definetly not stock. (6 in. engine pulley and 3 in. on the transaxle)

i might do some hunting for some spindles off another tractor. i'd love to find somebody who could weld for me. just a newbie tryin to learn. lol. i need to borrow a camera and get a build thread on here or somethin.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 1:25 pm

When i first moved down to florida - i brot my 82 dynamark ( to mow the yard with) - come to find out the front deck bracket cracked - so i called a welding service up the road and he welded it up for like $5- actually cost more when i bot 2 lawntractors he had lying around - LOL!

Id call around n see what theyd give y for a quote.

I had a 6 and 3 on my 94 murray - ran a 18.5HP twin opposed - thing was TOO fast for nearly stock - i took it apart and ill eventually build it correctly- too much other stuff to do.....
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 1:47 pm

i might do that. i know i have to have some friend or relative who would help me. just gotta ask around i guess. i need more mowers too. lol. only two at the moment. i'd love to get a rear engine rider.

i might just hold off on the spindle extending until i see if i can find another mower for parts with longer ones. idk. work in progress always i guess
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 2:25 pm

indianaboy93 wrote:
yea mine is definetly not stock. (6 in. engine pulley and 3 in. on the transaxle)

i might do some hunting for some spindles off another tractor. i'd love to find somebody who could weld for me. just a newbie tryin to learn. lol. i need to borrow a camera and get a build thread on here or somethin.

Please do! I'd really like to see your machine, maybe a video too?
As for the spindles and JB weld, I just dont see it happening! Unfortunaly I think welding is the only way. If you can, try and buy a cheap welder, maybe even a used one! It'll make so many more things possible on your tractor! Mine was £80 brand new, and was worth every penny IMO!
cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2010, 5:29 pm

Chunk wrote:
indianaboy93 wrote:

Please do! I'd really like to see your machine, maybe a video too?
As for the spindles and JB weld, I just dont see it happening! Unfortunaly I think welding is the only way. If you can, try and buy a cheap welder, maybe even a used one! It'll make so many more things possible on your tractor! Mine was £80 brand new, and was worth every penny IMO!
cheers

If i get some time and a camera i'll post something. its nothing special. just a 1989 craftsman, 12hp briggs, 5 speed, (had a 38 in deck, keyword had. lol) only thing i've done is the pullies and i borrowed fearless's throttle idea using a bike brake handle.

Yea, it sounds like i'll have to find a welder or someone with one. i put the bigger wheels on just to see how it would look and i loved it. so i'm dieing to find a way to put them on.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:04 am

Just make sure when you put rear wheels on the front, to pack it with as much grease as possible. That keyway in the rear wheels could wear down the spindle if you dont!
Large front wheen are really cool though
cheers
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 7:06 am

yea, i got a big tub of grease just waitin for me to use. i wouldn't want to ruin my spindles. i got a yard machines rider but it's spindles and axle shafts are alot smaller than any other mower i've had. i was going to use it for parts but it looks like it's parts only fit itself. ugh, all parts need to be interchangable. lol

might go tractor hunting this weekend, should be fun. parents don't want all the stuff in the yard but its been worse. (one time had five mowers and 35 bicycles) Razz
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 8:07 am

Better yet , if you dont really care alot about those wheels- use a file n file the keyway edges round so it wont tear up the spindles.
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 8:50 am

Here are some pictures of a No Weld spindle. I haven't tried it yet but I found it on another forum.
steve lord from DIY Go Karts wrote:

Hi Guys,

These are not original ideas, but rather gathered from different sources (books, friends, etc.). So . . .

These spindles were made by using items bought from most hardware stores.

I can't weld . . . so that was out of the question . . . although, yes, I had someone weld the spindle brackets (made of angle iron) together and then to the kart.

The T-Pipe is 1/2 inch . . . and has pipe nipples that we cut and then screwed into each of the vertical sides to take up the small space that would have been between the T-Pipe and brackets.

The axles were cut from 3/4 inch threaded rod and screwed into the T-pipe. They are "locked" in place by the 3/4 inch hex nut.

I didn't have a large enough drill bit to accept the 3/4 inch axles . . . so I "notched" the angle iron to accept the axles. 3/4 inch hex nuts with a large washer hold it together just fine.

The eye-bolt is fastened to the threaded tie rod by a coupling nut . . . and locked together with a single hex nut. Bending the tie rod at the opposite end enables you to connect to the angle iron spindle.

There is a handy liquid locking chemical called "Loctite" that will lock your threaded rods in place if you choose . . . although I didn't use Loctite for my project.

Hope this helps . . . let me know if there are any questions. Glad to hear from you!

Steve

Front spindle extensions without welder?? Spindledetail001
Front spindle extensions without welder?? Spindledetail002
Front spindle extensions without welder?? Spindledetail005
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:15 pm

I wouldnt trust that cast iron T in extreme/rough situations . One good hit and it would break for sure- specially with a solid mounted front axle. Neat idea tho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 3:17 pm

yep it does look a bit ummm how to say, fragile...
might just be me though.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 4:31 pm

I may not have follwed it right, but are you meant to run the wheel on the threaded shaft 0.o
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 8:08 pm

Well, I did get it from a go kart forum, guess it would work alright on a 3 hp go kart running on pavement.

They were putting the wheel on the threaded shaft. The whole thread I got this one from is a good read I thought but for our applications I don't think it would help.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 8:59 pm

now with the jb weld, the slightest bit of bang and its gone, jb weld don't get me wrong is some really awsome stuff but it can only hold to a certain extent, but i have an idea but idk if you can get the stuff to do it. easier to get than a welder, it was an idea i was actually wanting to use, on the spindel drill a hole, what ever size not to big and however long, and have this tool, i kinda forget what its called, but you use a this tool and twist it in and out till you get all the way to the end of the hole and what it does is cuts in threads, but then you have to get bolts to match the bolts pitch, and size and length, may seem kinda complicated, but im sure someone knows what im talking about., but that idea is actually used on my go kart except i had it done with precision machines so, idk, but my go kart works alright except i would like to have a bigger motor, cause 5hp isn't much with a 10t clutch and 48t sprocket, i go about 45 mph with that setup, but this idea should work, its weldless, and its i think is pretty cheap to do. unless you don't already have the tool but idk how much it cost.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2010, 10:32 pm

That's a cool idea for a go-kart, but i agree i think it wouldn't last on my application.

i'm in no rush so i might just wait it out until i find someone with a welder.
i'll ask around my neighborhood. hopefully i can find someone.

i love how everyone comes together like a little family and solves eachother's problems.
Smile
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 8:04 am

That's why this forum is the best, good friends and willing to share each others experience. rabbit

You could try local garages too, most have welders and some of the small ones will do anything for a buck. I have a nice garage that I go to that only has 2 guys that work there, the owner and his friend. They will do anything for ya. I wouldn't go to the large name brand garages, they'll take you for all you got.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 20th 2010, 3:29 pm

I understand a bit better now! Go kart rims have bearings, so I guess it wouldnt harm them at all running on a threaded shaft.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 7:08 am

I'd had that same idea to have a bolt screw into the spindle. i was worried that if you drilled into the spindle that it would weaken it and then bend or snap off.
i've been thinking about it alot lately because i want to get the bigger tires on before i proceed to build a front bumper.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 4:38 pm

Im going to custom build ( attempt) on my wizard- im going to get some large bolts ( 3/4- i think- id have to go look) that fit my new 6" rims and weld up a set of spindles - ill probably reinforce them for when i find a twin horizontal to put on it. That way i can use a lock nut and pin to hold the wheels on.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 5:06 pm

That sounds like it will be very solid and easier to remove and put on wheels. wish i could do such a good setup as that. but i'll figure something out.
i'm starting to consider having a bolt screw into the spindle. but idk though
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 7:45 pm

i did on my go kart and its the same size shaft as your spindles and it works great, and it would hold too cause the bolt will just hold the wheel on the spindle. the spindle would do most of the work. also my bolts arn't very long either, and i feel safer with them bolted in.. I would do that if i didn't have a welder.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 7:47 pm

also not to get personal but were do ya live? so far, i think the closes person to me on this forum is fearlessfront, i live in Ohio and he lives in Maine .
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitimeApril 21st 2010, 7:58 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
also not to get personal but were do ya live? so far, i think the closes person to me on this forum is fearlessfront, i live in Ohio and he lives in Maine .

Oh its fine. I live in Indiana. nice to know someone is fairly close to me. Shocked
I'm really considering doing it with a bolt screwed into it. The wheels i'm trying to put on are only about a quarter of an inch to wide. i wouldn't need much to hold it on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front spindle extensions without welder??   Front spindle extensions without welder?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front spindle extensions without welder??
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next