All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?

Go down 
+12
dangeroustoys56
gilsonrumbler
Wheel Crazy
Troy's Mongrels
MSteele323
arild365
canadianromper
McHandyMan
AcreFarm
Jordan
RompinRedneck
briggs 123
16 posters
AuthorMessage
briggs 123

what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Empty
PostSubject: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 12:51 pm

what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading
Back to top Go down
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 1:19 pm

My 15hp I/C Gold is great. Depends on what kind of mud you are talking about though. If its thick, sloppy stuff, you will want some big aggressive tires, and a motor that can turn them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/rompinredneck
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 6:49 pm

id say a running motor is a good motor for offroading, personally i dont care what im running as long as it moves the tractor
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 7:31 pm

If you're going to be on steep hills I'd say something with pressurized oiling. As RompinRedneck said if you've got big meaty tires, or if you have tall gearing a higher HP engine is a big plus. In most cases just a good running Briggs flathead will be fine, and will be as reliable as you could ask for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: offroading motor   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 7:53 pm

I have had good luck with the big single ohv's. not quite as bullet proof as the flat heads, but a 17.5 single weighs a hell of a lot less than a 18hp twin.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 8:29 pm

rat88 wrote:
but a 17.5 single weighs a hell of a lot less than a 18hp twin.

And drinks 1/3 of the fuel!
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 9:26 pm

i'v had 2 1997 b&s 11hp. both scraped. you do any thing to them thell have a hell of a time of running. when im on kijiji, i only look for a tractor with a 15 single cylender + or a 14hp oposed twin briggs. i have a cupple of each at the moment and after sitting outside thell keep starting.
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 5:41 pm

i have a 12 hp briggs in my offroader and it is a good running engin
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 7:29 pm

I always stick with I/C golds. Never ever have any problems with them, great on fuel, strong and easy to work on, i like flat heads cause there more simple and still get great power. Ive only ever had problems with tecumcehs, there not great and are soo finiky.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
briggs 123

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2012, 11:01 pm

arild365 wrote:
I always stick with I/C golds. Never ever have any problems with them, great on fuel, strong and easy to work on, i like flat heads cause there more simple and still get great power. Ive only ever had problems with tecumcehs, there not great and are soo finiky.
yea im wanting one I have watched all you videos prob 5 time and u never have any trouble but i cant find one
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 1:26 am

I tend to agree with arild365 my 12 hp i/c had taken alot of abuse.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
Troy's Mongrels
Troy's Mongrels

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 11:34 am

My best motor ever was a 1985 10hp flat head Briggs in a Montgomery ward alien
Back to top Go down
Wheel Crazy
Wheel Crazy

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 5:22 pm

I heard the 14.5 flathead Briggs is good, some having the cast iron sleeve from a commercial mower! I have one myself, but haven't got it going yet! Although I hear it's a great motor for racing and mudding!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2012, 4:26 pm

i myself love to use the 8hp flattys for a mudding mower..... The shorter rod stroke makes up for the Small Hp and they are damn near indestructable
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2012, 5:47 am

Id say any flathead motor is good - ive had nearly all my tractors down in the mud - best performers were my 5HP , 10HP and 11 HP flatty briggs - ran the 10HP for quite a few years in the swamp behind the folks place - had no shortage of power, was really good on fuel.

I had a couple OHV teccys in the mud - one went decent enough- the other after it blew its muffler apart lost just about all its power. I have a few briggs OHV 14.5HP motors - personally i think theyre gutless wonders - could be they need valve adjusting , but stock theyre pretty much useless.

Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 4:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2753541199036&set=a.2086855572312.2098751.1272844662&type=1&theater

14 hp commander by kolher. since we are talking about engines, is this any good? it used to run a 52 inch mow board witch i found hard to be leave but 4th gear and it just chugs along.
car type oil filter
pressurized oil system
ohv
some special type of valve oiling system...
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 6:57 pm

McHandyMan wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2753541199036&set=a.2086855572312.2098751.1272844662&type=1&theater

14 hp commander by kolher. since we are talking about engines, is this any good? it used to run a 52 inch mow board witch i found hard to be leave but 4th gear and it just chugs along.
car type oil filter
pressurized oil system
ohv
yeah they are a good moter. i have a 15 hp koler ohv in my lawn tractor and it mows great.
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 9:08 pm

canadianromper wrote:
McHandyMan wrote:

car type oil filter
pressurized oil system
ohv
yeah they are a good moter. i have a 15 hp koler ohv in my lawn tractor and it mows great.

i scraped the deck after it through up a blade. clean the grass before it gets holes and stuff gets bent and you hear a loud knocking and boooooooom... you sheeeeeet on you only good seat.
Back to top Go down
domsriltz123

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMay 2nd 2012, 10:57 am

I have had good luck with the big single ohv's. not quite as bullet proof as the flat heads, but a 17.5 single weighs a hell of a lot less than a 18hp twin.
Back to top Go down
andy-roo
andy-roo

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMay 5th 2012, 10:01 pm

whatever u can find would work fine but id jst get a ten to fifteen horse with pressurized lubrication because then if ur on hills or rocks or whatever u dnt need to worry about the oil staying in one part of the crank case an blowing it up so thts defvinatly a plus but id go with a ten to fifteen horse briggs but kholers an kawis are nice too remember
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2012, 10:56 pm

I have a 19.5hp I/c platinum briggs opposed twin!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gilsonrumbler
gilsonrumbler

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2012, 4:04 am

in addition to 8 hp flattys i have to say ANY briggs flatthead with I/C is the best to use
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitimeMay 30th 2012, 5:30 am

I got a 12 horse techumseh off a 69' sears suburban and it still runs perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?   what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what is the best briggs and stratton motor for offroading?
Page 1 of 1