All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Ran my briggs without oil!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

Ran my briggs without oil! Empty
PostSubject: Ran my briggs without oil!   Ran my briggs without oil! Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2012, 7:18 pm

What a great idea huh?
But seriously, the previous owner must have drained the oil before giving me the engine, and silly me, I assumed that it had oil. I ran it for a few minutes until white smoke started coming out of the muffler and a slight squeaking noise started. I let it cool down and I can still turn it by hand, but it is a bit tough to do so. You think I can get away with a light hone and new rings? I know it is hard to answer if you can't physically see the damage. By the way, it is a 15 horse I/C Gold. Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/rompinredneck
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Ran my briggs without oil!   Ran my briggs without oil! Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 5:43 pm

Took her apart today and there was no deep scoring and very minimal metal, if any, in the oil pan. So I cleaned her real good with some brake cleaner. Pre-oiled everything and put her back together. The motor now spins like normal( no more breaker bar needed) and still has good compression. Briggs has me sold on their I/C motors! affraid
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Ran my briggs without oil!   Ran my briggs without oil! Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 6:00 pm

I've had seized engines I had to soak in ATF to get free, and they ran afterwords. Briggs singles can take some abuse, no doubt!
Back to top Go down
RompinRedneck
RompinRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Ran my briggs without oil!   Ran my briggs without oil! Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2012, 10:05 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
I've had seized engines I had to soak in ATF to get free, and they ran afterwords. Briggs singles can take some abuse, no doubt!

Yea man. I learned a lot from my mistake.
Got some new gaskets on the way and hopefully she'll be back in commission.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Ran my briggs without oil!   Ran my briggs without oil! Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2012, 11:43 am

Sears didn't tighten the plug on my FIL's LT1000 with the Briggs 15 in the fall of 09. Spring of 10 he started it up and all the oil had leaked out. Basically same situation. He let it sit outside for a year.

He gave it to me for parts after he discovered how expensive a replacement would be. I pulled the plug and sprayed it with PB blast weekly for a month and a half. I then got the motor to turn over with a 3/4 breaker bar. At that point I changed the oil, drained the gas tank and replaced the fuel line, and charged the battery. It seems no worse for wear.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ran my briggs without oil!   Ran my briggs without oil! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ran my briggs without oil!
Page 1 of 1