All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Need some advice on pulleys..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

Need some advice on pulleys.. Empty
PostSubject: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2012, 3:25 pm

I have an 80's model Dynamark with an 11 hp briggs on it, and i was wondering what would be a good pulley setup to make it go a little faster. I have never changed pulleys before so if you could give me some advice i'd really apreciate it haha.
Back to top Go down
brownjon4
brownjon4

PostSubject: hello    Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2012, 9:07 pm

I have a 3inc on the tranny and a 6inc on the front i also have 15hp twin cylinder and it goes about 30mph or 34 mph the smaller you go on the tranny the faster you go
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2012, 11:44 pm

brownjon4 wrote:
I have a 3inc on the tranny and a 6inc on the front i also have 15hp twin cylinder and it goes about 30mph or 34 mph the smaller you go on the tranny the faster you go
Alright thanks! I guess you have to get a tighter belt if you have a smaller pulley right?
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2012, 12:35 am

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
brownjon4 wrote:
Alright thanks! I guess you have to get a tighter belt if you have a smaller pulley right?

Yup
Back to top Go down
brownjon4
brownjon4

PostSubject: hello    Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2012, 11:46 am

no i am useing the same belt that was on it when i got it
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2012, 7:06 pm

Its not quite that easy - 1st off going smaller then 3" on a trans will be a waste of time - the belt will slip horrible ( not enough belt wrapped around it) - second is a 'stock ' tractor - steering and brakes need to be replaced .

Fresh heavy weight oil needs to be put in the trans , because stock transmissions wont take the abuse of being spun faster.

Wheels should be pinned or bolted on - nothing like doing 30mph and have a wheel come off - be lucky to be breathing....

Actually for offroading, a simple 1 to 1 ratio can be used and still get decent driveability - i used a 4" motor pulley and a 6" trans pulley on my now stock agway - thing hauls pretty decent in 3rd ( not what i want tho to mow) .

Most times when you change pulleys a new belt will be needed - for proper clutch action.

A way to get better power is to use a foot throttle and even add a cycle/snowmobile carb on it .

Id try using a slightly smaller trans pulley - like an 1" or so - adding taller tires will also give a lil more speed as well.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 6:43 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Its not quite that easy - 1st off going smaller then 3" on a trans will be a waste of time - the belt will slip horrible ( not enough belt wrapped around it) - second is a 'stock ' tractor - steering and brakes need to be replaced .

Fresh heavy weight oil needs to be put in the trans , because stock transmissions wont take the abuse of being spun faster.

Wheels should be pinned or bolted on - nothing like doing 30mph and have a wheel come off - be lucky to be breathing....

Actually for offroading, a simple 1 to 1 ratio can be used and still get decent driveability - i used a 4" motor pulley and a 6" trans pulley on my now stock agway - thing hauls pretty decent in 3rd ( not what i want tho to mow) .

Most times when you change pulleys a new belt will be needed - for proper clutch action.

A way to get better power is to use a foot throttle and even add a cycle/snowmobile carb on it .

Id try using a slightly smaller trans pulley - like an 1" or so - adding taller tires will also give a lil more speed as well.
Thanks so much haha! This really helped me alot. I don't think i'm gonna mess with the pulleys now because it already has a pretty great speed/power ratio. I will ask this though, about the wheels. What is the best way to keep my wheels from coming off? Right now i have the little e-shaped clips on them.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 9:41 pm

Funny you mention that - i had the eclip on one of my stock mowers come off while just moving it around in the shed .

Id say weld a short bolt on the axle /spindle end , use a washer large enuff to hold the wheels on and put a nylock nut or nut with lockwasher on - most offroaders weld the bolt on the spindle end for larger tires anyway .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on pulleys..   Need some advice on pulleys.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on pulleys..
Page 1 of 1