All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Pulley Question

Go down 
+3
Chunk
Ropertractor14
indianaboy93
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2010, 6:40 pm

hey guys. i was looking at one of my local hardware stores and found some pulleys i think i can use. the thing that concerns me is that they are die cast and aren't solid in the center they have like four spokes. will they hold up? i also noticed they are really light weight
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2010, 8:28 pm

I use one on my craftsman racer. They are fairly soft so they like to grab when you release the clutch. I haven't had any problems with it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2010, 11:25 pm

i like the sound of that. lol
i was just afraid that it might bend and mess up from all the force on it. it felt really light, so i think its aluminum. all the package said was die cast
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2010, 11:31 pm

oh, and the pulley was 15 dollars. didn't seem too bad to me
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 2:56 am

It may hold up alright, only way I can see it breaking it if you dumped the clutch really hard
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 5:04 am

Steel or cast iron are actually the best - if youre out trail riding and somthing hits it, youll be pushing it back home.

Ive seen those aluminum pulleys in the electric motor section of TSC - they looked too weak to me to hold up- im going to use those universal weld in center pulleys on my projects.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 6:36 am

they seem kind of weak, but they were in the lawnmower section with all the other parts like belts and stuff. i may get one and try it to see if it works. i could put a little piece of metal to shield the pulley
i know that the pulley will be there if i want to go get it, no hurry to get it. i don't think anyone is going to buy it. i might hold out and see if i can get a better pulley. idk yet. its very tempting
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 10:05 am

You are lucky you get a choice over in the states. Cos there is so little demand for pulleys etc over here in the UK, the only pulleys I can find are for electric motors, and all cast aluminium. And worse still, very limited metric sizes! Hence why I chose to weld my own pulleys up!
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 10:10 am

you now chunk if you give me the sizes you need id be happy to buy them (with my wallet) and you just pay shipping. And only if you make more of your great vids XD BTW wornt you workin on a racing mower?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 10:14 am

I wouldnt ask that of you Arild! Mine work okay just now anyway, if I ever need more I may keep you to that though Wink

More videos coming this weeekend, I know its been ages. Exams and stuff, but nearly over, I cant wait to get back to working on stuff. I have a 125cc scooter I bought for £30. Gonna pull the engine and drivetrain, and build a racing tractor/go kart. gonna be the size of a 'huffy' mower, with a throttle, and brake pedal, and steering. Nothing else apart from a hood! Should be fast. The scooter reached 70mph easily, so if I can get this to reach 60 i'll be happy.

Also gonna updates on projects too, my Simplicity 4212, and painting my brothers car. I would go into the garage now to work but its taking up all the space.
Back to top Go down

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 1:47 pm

lol yeh and if you are sending over make sure to tell ME, i would pay half da shipping! im also in the uk and very little choice on pulleys Sad
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 11:30 pm

well i measured the shaft size on my transaxle and the hardware store near me doesn't have anything with that bore. but i might be able to order one from a local repair shop that fixes anything from cars to lawnmowers.
so new question, if i have a choice what is the best type of pulley (metal type) to get?
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2010, 8:21 am

I'd say steel, its fairly hard, bit not as brittle as cast iron. Definatly the way to go!
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 24th 2010, 10:54 pm

hey guys. i was wondering what you guys thought about pulley size on my trani. i have a 6 inch on the motor and i'm curious to what would be good on the transaxle. i was thinking another 6 inch. what you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 9:18 am

indianaboy93 wrote:
hey guys. i was wondering what you guys thought about pulley size on my trani. i have a 6 inch on the motor and i'm curious to what would be good on the transaxle. i was thinking another 6 inch. what you guys think?

Thats what Im running! Its a good ratio. Loads of torque and a decent top end, plus with 6 inchers you'll have alot less belt slippage when stuff gets wet!

Im all for it!
cheers
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 3:26 pm

Chunk wrote:
indianaboy93 wrote:

Thats what Im running! Its a good ratio. Loads of torque and a decent top end, plus with 6 inchers you'll have alot less belt slippage when stuff gets wet!

Im all for it!
cheers

i'll probably go to a local car/small engine repair shop today and ask if they have anything between 6 and 7 inches. the owner is my neighbor so i might get a good deal. lol
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 6:10 pm

yea i went up there today and they had a 6 inch pulley that would work but it was 30 dollars once i bought it and had them weld in the center. ugh, i guess i'll go hunting some more. lol
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2010, 12:00 pm

Are you looking for a pulley for the front or rear end?
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2010, 5:06 pm

Chunk wrote:
Are you looking for a pulley for the front or rear end?

the rear end. i already have a 6 inch on the front. i'm taking off the 3 inch i have on the rear end to gear it down. i'd like a pulley between 6 and 7 inches.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2010, 5:28 am

IN that case, alot of lawn tractor come with 6 or 7 inch pulleys stock in the rear end! Hunt one down on ebay or seomthing?
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2010, 6:40 am

Chunk wrote:
IN that case, alot of lawn tractor come with 6 or 7 inch pulleys stock in the rear end! Hunt one down on ebay or seomthing?

i was thinking about that while i was taking the rear end out. i may look at that yard machines i have and see what its got. i always forget i can look at it for parts. duh! lol
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2010, 11:07 am

Having parts machiens is great! My parts tractor has nothing left on it really. Only a motor (only keep it on there so I can run it, its going into another project) really. Everything else is gone, inc the dash, the clutch, all the wiring, fenders, hood, tranny, one of the front spindles. Its proved very useful really!
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2010, 11:48 pm

Chunk wrote:
Having parts machiens is great! My parts tractor has nothing left on it really. Only a motor (only keep it on there so I can run it, its going into another project) really. Everything else is gone, inc the dash, the clutch, all the wiring, fenders, hood, tranny, one of the front spindles. Its proved very useful really!

yes, that is why i need more tractors. lol
yea i looked at it today and just by looking at it i knew it was atleast an 8 inch pulley. so i'm gonna keep looking. lol
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2010, 8:44 am

Ah well, you should be able o get one for next to nothing. People always ditch stock pulleys for smaller ones, so its perfect for what you need!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2010, 9:12 am

Chunk: "I'd say steel, its fairly hard, bit not as brittle as cast iron. Definatly the way to go!"

Ive ran a cast iron 6" pulley on the mod murray and swapped it to the MTD - its held up well - was like $30 tho when i bot it years ago - i bot a set of steel pulleys for the agway last year - when i work on the wheelhorse or wizard- those are getting the steel pulleys with the weld in center from TSC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulley Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulley Question   Pulley Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulley Question
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next