All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

lawnmower drive pulley question

Go down 
+2
TennesseeCowboy
CraftsMAN
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

lawnmower drive pulley question Empty
PostSubject: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 11:44 am

This has probably been asked before and I am sorry if it has. So I have another side project going and I was wondering. I have a craftsman with a 14.5 hp engine and a spicer rearend. I am going to do a pulley swap on the engine and rearend this time. The spicer I expect to not last long. So I measured the stock drive pulley which is also attached to the mower pulley. The drive part measures 4-1/2 wide and with a 1Inch ID off of the crank shaft. So what size pulley should I run in the front so it does not rub on the tensioner pulley? I am going to go with a 5inch on the rear so it does not slip. I had a 3-1/2 inch on the rear of my Dynamark and I got a lot of belt slipping. So my questions are
what size pulley can I go with on the front so it does not rub?
What kind of rearend should I go with on the rear that has the pulley on the top that will bolt up to my craftsman where the stock spicer is? Peerless 801? I want something durable.
I have been told I should put a 3/4 inch belt on and let it wear down and that will prevent slipping.. Anyway as usual your comments are appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 12:12 pm

Around what speed are you wanting to go? I have an 11hp Dynamark that had i think a 3in pulley on the engine and a 6 or 7in on the back and i swapped the trans pulley out for a 5 in and it'll go around 10 mph now. And i didn't even touch the engine pulley.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 12:15 pm

My previous pulley swap topped out at around 18mph. I only swapped the one on the rearend. I would like to hit around 30mph.. Not extremely important that I hit that speed. I am more focused on building a durable build.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 12:24 pm

Ideally you want the biggest pulley size you can fit on there to reduce belt slip, but sometimes that's easier said than done. For example, I have a 75mm (3inch) on the front because that's the biggest i can use with the stock clutch. Once I change the clutch Ill put a 118mm (4 5/8inch).
Belt slip can be down to the clutch not applying the correct tension to the belt or the belt could have stretched.

I have heard that Spicer's aren't as strong as the peerless gearboxes but at the end on the day, both makes use aluminum casings so there are still weak. Personally I would go for a 801 if you can get one or do anyway with the gearbox all together and use a T-Drive. Ill be keeping my 901 until I brake it then Ill get a T-Drive.
Why not keep your Spicer until it brakes then consider if you want gears or if you want a fixed ratio.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 12:28 pm

What kind of tractor were you using? Spicers are junk for sure.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 1:56 pm

My tractor is a Dynamark, same as TennesseeCowboy's tractor but with a 4 speed peerless.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 2:32 pm

Peerlesses are the best then probably a foote and spicer is just a joke.. lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 2:54 pm

Well, on my 85 LT12 i put a 6" motor pulley - the clutch idler pulley hit the motor pulley with a screech - Id say depress the clutch to its hilt, and mesure how far away from the factory pulley it is - id say maybe you could go another inch bigger and thats it.

Other then custom building a new clutch, thats pretty much the limit.

Youd be surprised on minor pulley swaps what speeds you can get , depending on tire size and trans ratios on how fast it can go.

On my 6 speed murray with a 6" motor and 3" trans pulley - that thing was scarey fast past 3rd gear ( ran 8" rims all around) - my agway i did a minor pulley swap, a 4" motor pulley and a 8" trans pulley and the stock 3 speed trans ( just looking for lil more then geriatric stock speed - nothing blazing fast) - 1st/2nd were normal - 3rd launched me to about 10/15mph.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 7:36 pm

CornishMorgan wrote:
My tractor is a Dynamark, same as TennesseeCowboy's tractor but with a 4 speed peerless.
By 4 speed do you mean 1,2,3 with reverse or 1,2,3,4?
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 9:25 pm

I have a spicer and it's so far held up well, considering what I've thrown at it. Jumping, downshifting to stop, hauling a trailer full of logs out of the woods up hill, and even pushed a car. So far, nothing bad. For my pulley swap, I used a 3" on the rear and a 5" on the front. I then used two idler pulleys on an adjustable bracket to take up the belt slack. Gets me almost to 20 MPH on a 6 speed spicer.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 11:52 pm

TenneseeCowboy's tractor is like my '82 dynamark - its a 3 speed with reverse, actually my 80's agway has the same trans under it.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2012, 10:51 pm

I haven't had any problems out of my Peerless and to my knowledge its the stock one from 20+ years ago lol
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2012, 11:09 pm

The nice thing about the peerless 3 speeds with reverse is that a new one only cost about 80 to 100 new and they can take a beating
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lawnmower drive pulley question   lawnmower drive pulley question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lawnmower drive pulley question
Page 1 of 1