All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?

Go down 
+3
indianaboy93
CMHN
dangeroustoys56
7 posters
AuthorMessage

What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Empty
PostSubject: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 2:38 am

so i am thinkin about what tires i should try to find for my tractor i was thinkin those nubby kind. Here in my town they are $50 for two and they fit my rims but i was wondering what kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxel
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 8:14 am

ATV tires are good for mud and offroad- the extreme tire would be an AG tire ( like a downsized version of a tractor tire)- but those get expensive....

Ive run just plain turf tires on my tractors ( ones they came with) - they performed really good in mud , water n climbing - altho when the mud get really thick is when y get stuck and theyre terrible in the snow but fun on a frozen pond.

Lowering the pressure is also better for traction - if you have to drive a short distance you might want to consider a small air pump to air the tires back up- to keep the tires on the rims itd probably be best to use tubes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 12:22 pm

Ok thanks
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 2:30 pm

I like AG tires, but ATV tires would be just as good. My best advice, get what you can afford and have fun. Smile Cheap and free are always good, with a little ingenuity you can find many uses for many different items.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 4:42 pm

i'm a newbie but i agree with these guys. i like the ag tires like they have at farm stores but they can be expensive.
cheap and free is always good cheers
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 6:41 pm

i personaly like ag tires,but other atv tires work better, you want something with a deep and agressive tread. Ag tires are good for the mud but suck for climbing hills and rock crawling, knobby atv tires work good for climbing hills, rockcrawling, but suck for mud, but if you find a tread pattern that look like and Ag tire but has more lugs and different shapes, it will more likely preform good in all of them if you know what i mean
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 9:13 am

redzz02 wrote:
i personaly like ag tires,but other atv tires work better, you want something with a deep and agressive tread. Ag tires are good for the mud but suck for climbing hills and rock crawling, knobby atv tires work good for climbing hills, rockcrawling, but suck for mud, but if you find a tread pattern that look like and Ag tire but has more lugs and different shapes, it will more likely preform good in all of them if you know what i mean

Yeah, AGs are awesome for mud, but I feel certain ATV tyres are better all round. This may be a little biased, but Im still all for Kenda Bearclaws. Ive read awesome reviews on then, and spoken to people abut them, and apparently theyre the best. Thats why my mudding tractor will be getting when I have the money!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 10:08 am

I have USED quad tires on the back of torque and i have troubles GETTING stuck Razz i get such great traction.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 11:33 am

I think even with Bearclaws, I could still get mine stuck in my woods! There are some rediculous swamps in there!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 11:53 am

damn you all with your awesome swamps!!!!!

there is basically NOTHING near me No
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 1:16 pm

Could always ride your tractor all the way down here! Wink What would make it even better is if I had permission to use 'em!
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2010, 11:41 pm

I love the ag tires. I picked up a set of good ones at TSC for 45$ each.. I got 15% off. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2010, 12:09 am

THAT is a great steal! lucky you Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 5:04 am

personally if i had the money lol! i would but a set of Kenda executioners the look awsome
What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Kenda_10
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 5:38 am

YOu'd think they're better, but from what Ive heard bearclaws out perform in most terrains (sand, mud etc). Those look awesome though. How much to they go for each? 0.o
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 7:37 am

Id go for the AG tires - man the agway would look sweet with a set of 4 of them.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 9:31 am

Thing is with bearclaws, they are basically bar tread tyres, but designed not to clog with mud, and also with extra tread on the edges to aid traction when the tyres arent level. Of course, if you cant tell, im totally biased towards them! lol!
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 4:16 pm

just wondering how would the kenda executioners be out preformed by the bearclaws, when the executioners have a little bit more than and inch of tread depth and the bearclaws have less than an inch. also you can get the executioners in sizes from 25 to im not sure but bigger starting at 63$ a tire
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2010, 4:35 pm

thats my view! what has more is BETTER!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Best tires for a lawn tractor   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2010, 9:44 pm

I got a 1999 sears garden tractor that already had ag tires and the are awsome in deep mud only if you got the right pulley set up so then the mun can fling off the tire so it will not be come a slick
The best thing is that i got the whole tractor and 3 turf tires for the back and 4 for the front for free just had to pick it up
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2010, 8:05 am

Sounds like a good deal to me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?   What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What kind a tire would be the best for offroading but the least strain on my transaxle?
Page 1 of 1