All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Is my straight pipe the problem?

Go down 
+2
Chopperhed
murraymnan96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
murraymnan96

Is my straight pipe the problem? Empty
PostSubject: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 3:53 pm

Just recently my mower has been misfiring and losing power when it warms up. My exhaust is only a inch and a half piece of stainless threaded pipe. I am changing this soon, very soon, so I don't burn up my valves. I removed my head and cleaned off the built up carbon while I had it off but saw no problems with the valves or movement of the valves. I was wondering if maybe the exhaust, or lack thereof, is making my mower run lean, or if it is another problem. As I said I am putting exhaust on soon but was just wondering if that is the problem.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:00 pm

An open exhaust will make your engine run lean, s will an aftermarket air filter.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:01 pm

murraymnan96 wrote:
Just recently my mower has been misfiring and losing power when it warms up. My exhaust is only a inch and a half piece of stainless threaded pipe. I am changing this soon, very soon, so I don't burn up my valves. I removed my head and cleaned off the built up carbon while I had it off but saw no problems with the valves or movement of the valves. I was wondering if maybe the exhaust, or lack thereof, is making my mower run lean, or if it is another problem. As I said I am putting exhaust on soon but was just wondering if that is the problem.

Yes. Your pipe should be at least 12" if you straight pipe, although a muffler would be best. Small engines like back pressure to run right so it will pop a lot and run like crap if you only have a 2" exhaust.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
murraymnan96

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:05 pm

thats what I thought. I am planing on chopping the muffler/baffle part off of an old suzuki 50cc enduro I have and welding it onto a pipe that will lead into my motor. I will post pics when I get it done. Should be cool. Who knows, I might knock the baffles out if it isn't loud enough.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2013, 4:14 pm

murraymnan96 wrote:
thats what I thought. I am planing on chopping the muffler/baffle part off of an old suzuki 50cc enduro I have and welding it onto a pipe that will lead into my motor. I will post pics when I get it done. Should be cool. Who knows, I might knock the baffles out if it isn't loud enough.

I believe a wider pipe will also help tone it, just fyi.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
murraymnan96

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 5:03 pm

I added a 1"x8" pipe off the motor into a 90, into a 4" pipe into a 1-1/4 to 1" reducer, in to an eight inch 1-1/4" pipe. Inside the last pipe I have a baffle from the motorcycle exhaust. I thought this length and baffle would give me the back pressure I need, however, my mower still runs the same way!!!! Evil or Very Mad scratch Once it warms up it runs like crap and tries to stall at idle, along with acting like it's not getting enough fuel when on full throttle. I have checked my carb, it is clean, the fuel line and filter are unobstructed and yes, there is gas in the tank, it's full. The only thing is, the baffle doesn't take up all of the pipe. I will chop the part that it hooks to on the motorcycle exhaust off and place that between the baffle and new pipe. Do you guys think this would give me more back pressure and more or less solve my problem or is the problem something else?
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 5:15 pm

kinda sounds like the carb needs adj
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 5:37 pm

gearheadmike wrote:
kinda sounds like the carb needs adj

Look for tiny little holes in the emuslifier tube, make sure they are clear. they very tiny. and can only be seen by a completle disassembly of the main jet.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 8:57 pm

take your float bowl off and make sure the float isn't sticking closed. (Up) It might be filling with fuel, sticking shut, and then when you start it up and run it, it would run the float bowl dry and die. it might not be your problem, but it happened on my grass cutter.

Something else I've heard is a problem with a warm up, is the coil. Something about heat soak and it will short out but I've never had that happen to me.

just throwing out those ideas in case you tried everything else.

Head Administrator account, managed by @Doug!
For faster service, please message my main account linked above.

Contact an Administrator
(link)

DIRECT EMAIL: Admin@atltf.com
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 9:11 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
take your float bowl off and make sure the float isn't sticking closed. (Up) It might be filling with fuel, sticking shut, and then when you start it up and run it, it would run the float bowl dry and die. it might not be your problem, but it happened on my grass cutter.

Something else I've heard is a problem with a warm up, is the coil. Something about heat soak and it will short out but I've never had that happen to me.

Over time coils and magnetos are known to break down internally. Spark plugs and plug wires break down over time as well.

Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 9:32 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
FearlessFront wrote:

Over time coils and magnetos are known to break down internally. Spark plugs and plug wires break down over time as well.

Yeah i would check the wires.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my straight pipe the problem?   Is my straight pipe the problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is my straight pipe the problem?
Page 1 of 1