All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

Go down 
+7
Chopperhed
Doc Sprocket
Marines2621
MowBandit
Stretch44875
xxXMowerdudeXxx
fletch6393
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 4:22 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Just a note, I've had these twin wire coil's go bad, and the engine still kinda of ran/started, just really poorly.

The carb is the first place to start. However, I have seen situations where a high tension coil wire breaks internally with no evidence on the outside. There are repair kits available for breaks mid wire, but breaks at the coil itself require more work. This is a common issue on old bikes.
I've seen vids of guys that have gouged out the epoxy from around the wire, and soldered on new leads, then re epoxied the hole.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 4:30 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Stretch44875 wrote:
Just a note, I've had these twin wire coil's go bad, and the engine still kinda of ran/started, just really poorly.

The carb is the first place to start. However, I have seen situations where a high tension coil wire breaks internally with no evidence on the outside. There are repair kits available for breaks mid wire, but breaks at the coil itself require more work. This is a common issue on old bikes.
I've seen vids of guys that have gouged out the epoxy from around the wire, and soldered on new leads, then re epoxied the hole.
yes you could do that but i wouldnt recommend it just for safety reasons
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 4:40 pm

Nothing unsafe about it. Just takes time and patience,
Remember, we do this on old street bikes that run on highways, I've never heard of an issue.

All you have to remember is that a coil is basically a transformer.

Many many winds of copper wire around a iron core. usually covered in plastic or bakelight as an insulator and tamper preventer. its just generally easier and cheaper to buy new rather than rebuild old.
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 4:48 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Remember, we do this on old street bikes that run on highways, I've never heard of an issue.

Many many winds of copper wire around a iron core. usually covered in plastic or bakelight as an insulator and tamper preventer. its just generally easier and cheaper to buy new rather than rebuild old.
well i see it as unsafe because my buddy did it to his 16.5 OHV and the coil caught on fire then it caught the shroud on fire (it was plastic :l) then the fuel line and next thing ya know the mower was a roman candle
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 5:06 pm

Jay_Rod wrote:
Chopperhed wrote:

well i see it as unsafe because my buddy did it to his 16.5 OHV and the coil caught on fire then it caught the shroud on fire (it was plastic :l) then the fuel line and next thing ya know the mower was a roman candle

Obviously did something wrong.

Short circuits cause sparks, sparks cause fires.

I know guys that have done this on 40 year old coils with no issues.

I've spliced high tension leads myself. I do it regularly at work.

Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 6:35 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Jay_Rod wrote:
Chopperhed wrote:

Obviously did something wrong.

Short circuits cause sparks, sparks cause fires.

I know guys that have done this on 40 year old coils with no issues.

I've spliced high tension leads myself. I do it regularly at work.

yea i dont know what he did wrong lol
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 18th 2013, 9:11 pm

I can't even begin to guess, either. Musta mucked something up good. Maybe compounded by a fuel leak or something. You can have the insulation on a coil or plug wire go bad, arc all over the place, and still end up with nothing to roast your weenies on.
Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 11:42 am

HEY EVERYONE PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 12:43 pm

Gah... I hate suspense! What was it?

Good on ya though, glad you got it sorted out.
Back to top Go down
OpposedDualsOutTheBack
OpposedDualsOutTheBack

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 9:59 pm

Glad to hear that you got this fixed, but when you get a little money saved up, I'd highly recommend doing a tune-up. Put some new fuel lines in and a new fuel filter. Lines deteriorate over time. Also a fuel shutoff is a good idea but not necessary. Two new spark plugs, usually they are RJ19LM's, but check the number on your plugs to be sure. Those and a new air filter, and you should be good to go for a long time. If you shop smart and use the internet as much as much as you can, you should be able to get all that for around $30.

Good luck
Nick
ODOTB
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 10:03 pm

fletch6393 wrote:
HEY EVERYONE PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!
what was the problem
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2013, 9:08 am

Operator error!
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2013, 6:36 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Operator error!
lol do what?
Back to top Go down
fletch6393
fletch6393

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 9:20 pm

Wow is been forever well what it was apparently someone has crashed it at one point because the air filter / carberator mounting plate was cracked in a manner consistent with a frontal collision
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2014, 9:36 pm

Woah, Stretch44875 was right on the money lol
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 7:10 am

redlinemotorsportts wrote:

This time!
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:56 am

Stretch44875 wrote:
redlinemotorsportts wrote:

This time!  

Congrats Stretch! Like we say in the shop: "You got a bad connection between the seat and the steering wheel". Customers never get it lol...  cheers lol! 
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2014, 12:49 pm

Like someone already said you may only be on one cyl but you could be experiencing electrical problems. My stock motor on my 717 had electrical problems and did the same thing. You probably have a carb problem like a jet is not working correctly or something. If I were you I would get a new carb or rebuild kit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!   18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

18hp briggs twin cylinder opposed power problems. PLEASE HELP!!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2