All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?

Go down 
+2
Thunderdivine
the beast
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the beast
the beast

Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Empty
PostSubject: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 9:40 pm

Hey, is there any way that my briggs and stratton 11hp can have costom led lights atached to it? and if it can, where do I put them that they have power to turn on. What a Face 

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 9:42 pm

the beast wrote:
Hey, is there any way that my briggs and stratton 11hp can have costom led lights atached to it? and if it can, where do I put them that they have power to turn on. What a Face 

Thanks

LED is DC only so make sure you have wire with a diode installed.

How many wires comes from your engine?
Back to top Go down
goesman
goesman

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 10:48 pm

A LED will work on AC or DC. No diode is needed cause an LED is a light emitting diode. Electricity will only flow one way through them no matter if its AC or DC. You just need the proper sized resistor to go along with it. There are a million LED resistor calculators online. You just need to know your voltage going into them what kind of LEDs you will use and how many you are using and if you plan on wiring them in series or parallel.

Here is a good calculator
http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 10:54 pm

What about those cheapo LED strips off eBay? Those you can just run straight off a 12v source. Ive never had to wire a resistor.

Also, moved to Electronics. Please sort and title your stuff a little better next time. Thanks.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 10:56 pm

ok let me rephrase - An LED light, those most commeecially available work only with DC also clearly stated in the user manual.

- Im not talking about a single LED bulb here, like the oldschool LEDs ala circuit board LED.
Back to top Go down
goesman
goesman

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 11:15 pm

I never thought of that When some one said LEDs the electronic engineer in me thinks of single LEDs. In that case yes a diode would be needed.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 11:19 pm

goesman wrote:
I never thought of that  When some one said LEDs the electronic engineer in me thinks of single LEDs.  In that case yes a diode would be needed.  

Ya i know haha, all the "chinese" led lights state DC only tho ive never tried it out.

Tho its not what the thread starter wanna know anyway.
Back to top Go down
goesman
goesman

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2013, 11:23 pm

i would say as long as it supply's the proper voltage it should have no problem running them since they have such a low amp draw. It should work just fine. Just dont try hooking up 20 of them Razz 
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2013, 6:54 am

To address the root question- "Will an 11hp Briggs......"? That entirely depends on whether yours has an onboard charging or lighting circuit. If yes, then yes. If no, then no. A totally bare-bones, pull-start engine with no alternator will not power electrical accessories.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2013, 12:15 pm

goesman wrote:
A LED will work on AC or DC.  No diode is needed cause an LED is a light emitting diode.  Electricity will only flow one way through them no matter if its AC or DC.  You just need the proper sized resistor to go along with it.  There are a million LED resistor calculators online.  You just need to know your voltage going into them what kind of LEDs you will use and how many you are using and if you plan on wiring them in series or parallel.    

Here is a good calculator
http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

depends on the light. most of the off the shelf 12 volt led lights are DC only.

i tried a 1157 led replacement bulb with an AC lighting circuit on my dirtbike. yes it did work for a while, after about 45 seconds it started to smoke, so i disconnected it before i killed it completely.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?   Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will an 11hp Briggs run custom LED lights?
Page 1 of 1