All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Off road trailer from lawn mower frame

Go down 
+2
Doug
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Empty
PostSubject: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 10:11 pm

So I had this old simplicity 6216 that was torn apart.. no engine, trans, etc.

So I stripped it down to the frame today and I am going to put a gas tank off another mower on, a tool box and a seat... so I can bring friends. Pics will come shortly.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 10:16 pm

Ok heres what I have so far still need an axle and a drawbar so I can hook it to the rally.

Also the gas tank will have a siphon on it incase I run out of gas on long trips.

Off road trailer from lawn mower frame %3Ca%20href=Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Traile10" />
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2013, 10:26 pm

not bad so far, I get the idea... thinking if building one using the harley cart parts and whatever roll cage tubing I do not re-use on nightmare (or to build the headache rack for my truck)
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 12:07 am

Looks good. I thought of making my trailer have a seat to lug people around, but I just make them sit on the toolbox lol.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 7:45 am

I can tell you pulling a trailer kills your off road ability. We do it sometimes, but it's not unusual to unhook the trailer in the woods to get unstuck, or up a hill.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 10:15 am

Yeah it's just going to be behind the tractor when I am driving to my friends house so I can carry tools and gasoline.  It won't be going on romps or anything like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 1:35 pm

I suppose it'd also be factored in if the balance of the trailer was off either by design or load... but I can see how it'd affect off-roading. What about building a trailer with ground clearance and an almost 0 balance factor so it could be lifted up front or rear with just a couple fingers?
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 4:58 pm

What kind of tires should I put on it wide or narrow.
I'm thinking wide cause I want it to float over the mud, water,and the mushy stuff that I would happen to drive over. Right???
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 6:18 pm

Wider, and even taller, the better, bigger contact patch.

Balance is a little tricky.  It's not like a road trailer for a truck, where you want 10% of the weight on the tongue.  

You want to add as much weight to the tongue as possible for offroading, to put weight on the rear axle of the towing tractor, and increase traction.

But, too much, the front end of the towing tractor will push, and you won't be able to steer.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2013, 6:26 pm

Yeah I'm going to put the tires just in front of the seat should that work?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2013, 9:17 am

You definitely want some big wide tires for flotation. The other day I was hauling my little trailer around- it has wheelbarrow tires and is used for hauling garbage to the curb- and ended up getting stuck in mud that I normally wouldn't have a problem with. Thank god for winches!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2013, 2:06 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Yeah I'm going to put the tires just in front of the seat should that work?

That or a hair farther forward would probably do well. Looking at your pic again I'd say (using the current arrangement in the photo) to put it just under the seat side of the tool box. Still would shift balance to the front of the trailer and the rear wheels of the tractor without giving it too much to steer properly.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2014, 10:23 pm

UPDATE!!

I dug this out of storage today!  I rewelded my spindles because i found out how strong they weren't (I was just a beginner welder at the time Razz).  Took it and put a brace in the tongue and took the old front tires off the rally and put them on it.  Then I took the old seat and threw it on.  Also fashioned some fenders for below the seat with some zip ties and some lawn edging.  AND THEN, I told my cousin to get on, sit down, hold on. and shut up! And with that we were going around my race track in the yard!  We had a good time.  I gotta make a handle so they don't have to hold on the running boards that are on there LOL.  Then I also gotta make a tool box mount and the gas tank mount.  I think I will make them "removable" so if I ever want to give people rides again then they aren't in the way.

That's all I got for today, hopefully I will get back into this!
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2014, 11:11 pm

Pics or it didn't happen! Wink
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
ThatOneTeen

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2014, 12:40 am

I threw this togeather to pull a friend around awhile back

Off road trailer from lawn mower frame 10015610

Was not the safest thing since the seat was not bolted down in any way shape or form
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off road trailer from lawn mower frame   Off road trailer from lawn mower frame Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Off road trailer from lawn mower frame
Page 1 of 1