All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

mibro cutting disk

Go down 
+11
Ariens YT11
MowBandit
redzz02
Doc Sprocket
TroyBilt Pony
muddstir
redlinemotorsportts
Stretch44875
richie thomas
willis923
theswampmachine
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2013, 9:50 am

muddstir wrote:

We run cut off wheels all day long where I work,  we run cheap tool sale ones to very expensive ones, cutting thin mild steel to thick stainless steel, and in the 10 years I've been there we only had one come apart.  It was one of our expensive metabo ones.  The operator knocked it off of a chair, picked it up and saw the disk had a slight bend/crease on it.  He went ahead and fired up the tool and off came 1/2 the wheel and to this day the 1/2 that came off is still stuck in the insulation on the shop ceiling. The ceiling is over 25 ft off the floor, it is a good example for newbe's on proper tool usage and common sense.

Like others said, let the tool do the work, hold it 90* to the object to be cut, cut in a straight line (don't twist the cutoff wheel), don't slam the wheel into the part being cut, don't drop it, don't drag the tool and wheel across a floor by cord or hose, INSPECT ALL WHEELS EACH TIME PRIOR TO USE.

Like I said in an earlier post I've ran many of these mibro disk and never had any issues or complaints with them.  I also have 25+ sitting on a self just waiting to be used and ill have no worries about using them.

I do agree 100% with your PPE statement. We got a sign at work that says "PPE to be worn - Common sense to be used- At all times in the shop.

You make some great points, although I always chuckle when someone uses the phrase "common sense". I call it "uncommon sense", because it seems to be in short supply. Some doof dumps a hot coffee in their lap, sues, gets a wicked settlement, and from there on in, every hot beverage cup says, "Caution HOT!". If sense were common, we wouldn't have this. Brings Bill Engvall to mind.

As for the guy that blew the crap out of that cutting wheel- same deal. No sense. The moment the grinder fell off the bench, that wheel should have been discarded. Sad part is, all cutting and grinding wheels bear a warning label that TELLS you this. No excuse.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2013, 3:37 pm

Ive broke them all, but i still find dewalt the toughest
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 17th 2013, 3:52 pm

I've used a 4" angle grinder and it only is a 11,200 RPM cheap grinder from HF.
my dad buys 15,000 RPM+ disks only.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2013, 11:29 am

My dad brought me home some SAIT cut off wheels. Best thing I ever used, extremely fast, but they do where faster than others. I'm able to cut 1/4 steel is seconds compared to dewalt.
Here they are, give them a try. Don't know bout the the place, but this is the wheel
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00070025/k-G2728564?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CK2KyKenzrsCFSho7Aod4QoAcg
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2013, 11:48 am

Only reason why blades usually explode is because of you. Get it cockide and it jumps, and that's usually how it goes bad. I'm pretty good with a grinder now and haven't exploded a disk for a few months now.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2013, 1:20 pm

Whenever I go to the welding supply to get shield gas, I pick up a bunch of PROFESSIONAL grinding wheels and disks. I do like DeWalt: They're tops for home project quality wheels, but if you guys get a chance, try using a pro brand such as NORTON. You will be amazed at the difference.

I also use an old Circular Saw with a 9" abrasive cutting wheel in it for doing any big cuts. When the wheel wears down too much, it goes on the hand grinder.

Muddstir: Thanks for the safety reminder! Experienced or newb, a good safety reminder can never hurt!  Cool 
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2014, 8:36 pm

T-Dub13 wrote:
Whenever I go to the welding supply to get shield gas, I pick up a bunch of PROFESSIONAL grinding wheels and disks.  I do like DeWalt: They're tops for home project quality wheels, but if you guys get a chance, try using a pro brand such as NORTON.  You will be amazed at the difference.

I also use an old Circular Saw with a 9" abrasive cutting wheel in it for doing any big cuts.  When the wheel wears down too much, it goes on the hand grinder.

Muddstir: Thanks for the safety reminder!  Experienced or newb, a good safety reminder can never hurt!  Cool 
Nortons are great, Sait is also and Industrial brand
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2014, 8:43 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
T-Dub13 wrote:
Whenever I go to the welding supply to get shield gas, I pick up a bunch of PROFESSIONAL grinding wheels and disks.  I do like DeWalt: They're tops for home project quality wheels, but if you guys get a chance, try using a pro brand such as NORTON.  You will be amazed at the difference.

I also use an old Circular Saw with a 9" abrasive cutting wheel in it for doing any big cuts.  When the wheel wears down too much, it goes on the hand grinder.

Muddstir: Thanks for the safety reminder!  Experienced or newb, a good safety reminder can never hurt!  Cool 
Nortons are great, Sait is also and Industrial brand

Same ***** different wrapping, just make sure it's a safety wheel, they can't break off in pieces. And most of all,

mibro cutting disk - Page 2 BkFDzmB2kKGrHqQOKjIEsnIpRhScBLWGEcNvw_3_zps36070470
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2014, 8:46 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:

mibro cutting disk - Page 2 BkFDzmB2kKGrHqQOKjIEsnIpRhScBLWGEcNvw_3_zps36070470
LOL
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 11:12 am

Use your own brain, what a groundbreaking concept!  cheers 

I love that pic on page 2 with 1/2 the disk in the guys face. That's a fiberglass reinforced disk (as they all should be...) He had to have abused that wheel something aweful to get it to come apart like that. BUT, whatever the case, I NEVER put my face or any other body part in the rotating plane of the wheel.

It's also good to know the difference between a cutting wheel and a grinding wheel. You should never side-load a cutting wheel.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 5:45 pm

T-Dub13 wrote:
It's also good to know the difference between a cutting wheel and a grinding wheel.  You should never side-load a cutting wheel.  Wink 

I have to confess I did that once, and after it didn't do jack crap, I took it off, saw that it was compromised and was promptly broken in half, and swapped out for a grinding wheel. One thing I always try to do is break a disc if I see its damaged or worn out. That way me or someone else don't mistakenly fire it up and have a 13,000 RPM hand grenade.
Back to top Go down
Mitch'sgarage

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 9:34 am

I have gone through so many cutting wheels of many brands from hf ones to recently walters. Man the walter ones are awesome. I have probably gone through 75 cutting wheels in the past 5-7 months and have never had one break because I am careful.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJune 26th 2014, 1:09 pm

The older you get and the less money you have to waste, the more you learn that patience, and attention are crucial. They will save you money. And they will save you from injury.

As someone else here said, let the tool do the work. I never force a cut. I let the wheel just follow itself into the metal I am cutting. With barely enough force to make it move, if necessary. If you are cutting from the top down, even letting the weight of the grinder carry it into the cut, is too much force.

If you have patience, and let the tool do the work, you may take 30 seconds longer on the cut. Is 30 seconds worth your eyesight, or a finger, or maybe even your life?

In the pic on page two, if that disk had gone part of an inch farther to the side, the man would be dead before he could reach the hospital. (Carotid artery.)

And I always pay attention to details like angle, and force.

I have on several occassions picked up cheap cutting wheels that someone chewed up on their grinder and tossed. With small pieces missing out of the rim, etc. (Usually because of side loading a cutting wheel.)

Then used those wheels. Patiently, slowly, and with a very light touch. If you do it right, it will even out and become round again. If you give it force, it will explode.

Bottom line, most of the bad experiences people have with cutting wheels is because they have never learned good habits.

For instance, paying total attention to what they are doing, instead of letting themselves be distracted by buddies, or music, or a hottie, or thoughts about what else they have to be getting done that day. (If you are with a friend, and they are using a cutting disk, do them a favor and SHUT UP! And don't otherwise distract them, either.)

Or trying to force the wheel to cut faster. That is so stupid that I can't even explain how stupid it is. That is probably the number one reason that disks fail. (And sawblades, and files, and drills and drillbits, and....)

With getting sideways in a cut being second. (God help you, if you do BOTH.)

And dropping them, then using them anyway, being third.

Slow down, have patience, and pay attention. Let the tool teach your hands how best to use it.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeOctober 16th 2014, 12:53 am

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Stretch44875 wrote:
Quick note on using these wheels.  Any grinding on the side of the wheel will cause them to fail.
To further push the point- Use the right tool for the right job. Cutting wheels are for cutting, grinding wheels are for grinding. Cut with the direction of wheelspin, not opposing it. Do not force it. Let the weight of the tool do the work.

so, uh... doc.. what was that again?

mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Docfup_zpsf864e55b

"dont grind with a cutting wheel" you say...

i know i might be beating a dead horse, but, i just gotta bust on doc.. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mibro cutting disk   mibro cutting disk - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mibro cutting disk
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2