All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New idea that I am starting to build

Go down 
+4
Chunk
Ford Boi
dangeroustoys56
CraftsMAN
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New idea that I am starting to build Empty
PostSubject: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 2:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ZGXNkE3LE&feature=related

I am going to toss some ski's on the front of my mower and I AM doing some other mods to make it a prototype snowmower.. Kind of like what they have above but not the same..Any ideas how I can make the back snow worthy without digging to much. I want it to float on top of the snow. any ideas?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 5:16 pm

Youll have to do tracks or really wide tires with large treads - most snow is too powdery and youll sink right to the ground.

I have seen atvs with skis on the front and just wider atv wheels in the back.

I tried taking a couple of my tractors in the snow/ice- all they did basically was spin - so youll need serious traction.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 5:59 pm

I wonder if you can stud turf saver tires? then put tubes in them..
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 6:46 pm

I've thought about skis on the front, I'm trying it this winter. Otherwise, hard packed snow is fun with mowers, deep snow I have fun with if the mower has enough speed to get thru.... Otherwise, tire chains. I had one mower with chains and it was unstoppable in snow, went way further than my 4x4 truck.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 7:16 pm

ya I thought tire chains might dig to much.. but to each his own., I like how much snow they go through with chains..
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 7:25 pm

Id go for diggers or 'cats paws' on tires instead of studs ( they can come out) - the paws bolt thru the wheel with flat bolts on the inside . Id put some sort of material in the tire to keep the tube from rubbing a hole against the bolts.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 7:34 pm

ya but I dont want them to dig... humm
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 8:14 pm

With skis you should be ok as long as its not deep snow, with my Yardman racer last winter I had it in 5-6 inches of fresh powder with not much trouble. But if you stop then that's it... get off and push lol. I'm definitely trying the skis this year tho.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2010, 11:37 pm

like I said tire chains love to dig Smile
New idea that I am starting to build DSCF0618
New idea that I am starting to build DSCF0660
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2010, 12:02 am

Broc wrote:
like I said tire chains love to dig Smile
New idea that I am starting to build DSCF0618
New idea that I am starting to build DSCF0660

But they are oh-so-fun!!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2010, 4:16 am

Yeah, stupds would work. ALot of racers use them for in the winter. Long process though. But definatly line the tyre with somehting after.
I've seen this before. Somone in Canada did it to their racer. Those back tyres were wider than they were tall. Would be ideal if you could find some.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2010, 7:24 pm

New idea that I am starting to build A
New idea that I am starting to build Aaa
New idea that I am starting to build Aa

Any idea how I should mount these? lol on my lawnmower..
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2010, 7:26 pm

they are in good shape off of a 1972 arcticrap. they are 6inches wide.. lol
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2010, 9:09 pm

i just bought some 25 12.5 12 bear claws, i imagine they will float on the snow like you will need them to
if i was you id be looking for some tires like those
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 27th 2010, 11:04 pm

Im gona be in the barn wiht my mower most winter probly moddin the shit outa it. might come out in the spring a differnt mower. My show mower will be in the snow unfortaulty plowing snow it is a New Holland 2-8 perfect condition. still has carpet on the foot rest no tears in seat. only thing wrong with it is doin wheelies isnt good for front end it broke in half but got it welded back together. Thanks to a local machine shop that could weld cast iron
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2010, 6:30 am

Broc: That should work with the cut off rim welded to the ski - you might end up needing to raise the front of the tractor or put steering stops in- at full turn, the ski would be under the tractor- might also need shocks on the front of the skis- if they flop forward when riding around , itll definitly nail the chassis or take the belt out.

I want to get a pair of these for the back wheels on my upcomming wizard project :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331375_200331375

wont have any traction issues with those ( yes i know theyre 6" tires- im running 6" rims on the wizard).

Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2010, 6:59 am

I'd like snow hog tyres, unfortunatly snow blowers arent big over here, and so there's no demand for the tyres either
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2010, 9:30 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Broc: That should work with the cut off rim welded to the ski - you might end up needing to raise the front of the tractor or put steering stops in- at full turn, the ski would be under the tractor- might also need shocks on the front of the skis- if they flop forward when riding around , itll definitly nail the chassis or take the belt out.

I want to get a pair of these for the back wheels on my upcomming wizard project :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331375_200331375

wont have any traction issues with those ( yes i know theyre 6" tires- im running 6" rims on the wizard).

Nice, they are very cheap too!
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2010, 9:31 am

Chunk wrote:
I'd like snow hog tyres, unfortunatly snow blowers arent big over here, and so there's no demand for the tyres either

Will any of the US sites ship stuff over too you?
I know i've bought stuff from hongkong before and they shipped it to me.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2010, 4:21 pm

Trcustoms : yeah , i was thinking of plain tires, maybe even slicks, but i know it would just sit n spin the tires- reguardless i need to run tubes ( already bot those- im using split rims) - front tires will be the stock front tires, for the meantime- be neat to get all 4 snowblower tires n really tear stuff up.
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 28th 2010, 6:44 pm

I was thinking about them my selfs, but i need them in a 8" rim but the same size would be nice.

I'm currently working on a street machine, so maybe slicks! afro
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 29th 2010, 6:31 am

Actually i want to get some aluminum go kart wheels for the wizard - just too expensive- ive also drooled over those custom wheels for golf karts - those arent cheep either....
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeOctober 29th 2010, 11:42 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Actually i want to get some aluminum go kart wheels for the wizard - just too expensive- ive also drooled over those custom wheels for golf karts - those arent cheep either....

Yeah i know what you mean, they have some awesome kart wheels i'd love to get too but rite now if it was $25 bucks it's too much for me. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2010, 5:51 pm

I want something to float on top of the snow lol not really dig deep haha.

Here is a vid of it. DONT MIND THE COLOR OF THE SKI'S the guy that welded it thought it would be funny to paint them pink Sad flower lol!
New idea that I am starting to build DSCF0044

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uMaOg9pGf4
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2010, 9:45 pm

Oh...man..., i love that!
What are those ski's from, a snow mobile?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New idea that I am starting to build   New idea that I am starting to build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New idea that I am starting to build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next