All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

craftsman mud mower steering problems

Go down 
+2
MoWheeler
cjs1029
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cjs1029
cjs1029

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

craftsman mud mower steering problems Empty
PostSubject: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 9:53 pm

I have a "willy's jeep" green craftsman 13.5 horse mud mower. The other day I started er up and took off and it was steering really tough and the the teeth slipped on occasion. When its not moving, it wont steer at all and the teeth always slip. Figured you guy could help
Back to top Go down
http://usamowermods.forumotion.com
MoWheeler
MoWheeler

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 9:56 pm

cjs1029 wrote:
I have a "willy's jeep" green craftsman 13.5 horse mud mower. The other day I started er up and took off and it was steering really tough and the the teeth slipped on occasion. When its not moving, it wont steer at all and the teeth always slip. Figured you guy could help
Somewhere in your steering system you have too much resistance. Have you messed with any of the steering components? Somethinf sounds like it is too tight. Or maybe your bushings on your spingles are worn and are causing it to turn hard.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 9:58 pm

pics of the steering would help. its probably just so old that its rounded off the teeth
Back to top Go down
Speedfreek241
Speedfreek241

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 9:58 pm

If it's the craftsman in your profile picture pull the steering wheel of and look at the pieces that hold the steering wheel to the shaft if is plastic look and so if it's been rounded out my mower did that to me.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 9:59 pm

MoWheeler wrote:
cjs1029 wrote:
Somewhere in your steering system you have too much resistance. Have you messed with any of the steering components? Somethinf sounds like it is too tight. Or maybe your bushings on your spingles are worn and are causing it to turn hard.
also check the half moon steering gear under the dash, my old one on dixie had to be replaced back when i cut with it, same thing, usually you can put a couple of washers in it to tighten it up if you catch it early enough before it eats the teeth to bad
Back to top Go down
cjs1029
cjs1029

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 10:04 pm

I've already looked at the steering wheel. It slips at the half moon gear. I haven't messed with it. I'll try to get a pic tomorow
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 10:06 pm

best bet will be to try and fit a couple of washers behind the gear to press it tighter to the steering shaft, or find a new steering box ad replace the old one
Back to top Go down
cjs1029
cjs1029

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 10:22 pm

Would anyone be able to tell what model this is? In my profile pic
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2013, 10:42 pm

just so yall know, i will be helping CJS1029 on this build.. he is right up the road. SO, if he says he dont understand, i most likely will... just a heads up so yall dont have to define everything
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitimeNovember 22nd 2013, 6:21 am

willis923 wrote:
just so yall know, i will be helping CJS1029 on this build.. he is right up the road. SO, if he says he dont understand, i most likely will... just a heads up so yall dont have to define everything
Good on ya. That's the spirit, man!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mud mower steering problems   craftsman mud mower steering problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

craftsman mud mower steering problems
Page 1 of 1