All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Custom Chassis Build Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Custom Chassis Build Thread Empty
PostSubject: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 1:51 pm

Going to post pictures and updates of my chassis rebuild. I used to romp a stock pressed steal noma chassis, until the crappy thing split on me. It's still useable, but with an opposed twin, locked diff and a much more extreme place to ride it, Im going all out and building a chassis from scratch using some heavy angle. Updates to come soon
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2010, 4:38 pm

Looking forward to the build- ill make sure to post pics on my projects- still need to clean the shed of tractors before starting em!
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 8:33 am

Is this machine the one that has ag tires on the front of it? I saw it in one of your vids, that thing looks like a beast! When are you planning on starting this build? It's gonna be a heavy metal mud machine! Your gonna need a winch!
I can't wait to see it!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 10:28 am

FearlessFront wrote:
Is this machine the one that has ag tires on the front of it? I saw it in one of your vids, that thing looks like a beast! When are you planning on starting this build? It's gonna be a heavy metal mud machine! Your gonna need a winch!
I can't wait to see it!

No, it's the one next to it, probably can't see it cos it's so buried.
I still need to find some good front tyres for the mud. Im getting Kenda bearclaws for the back. BEST off road tyre made.

I've got a week off next week, so Im gonna get a start made to it then.
I'll definatly need a winch. Not sure where to mount it though. I want it high up so it doesnt get wet in deep water. I was thinking of putting it on the back near where the battery goes, so it'll be safe. And it means I can drive head on to some mud and not worry about having to turn it round!

Im really excited about it!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 12:43 pm

Not done anymore yet, but here's a couple of photos for you.
Custom Chassis Build Thread S6000992
This is the busted Noma chassis. Any flat surface in the garage quickly turns into a workbench as you can see!

Custom Chassis Build Thread S6000990
It's getting a 16hp opposed Briggs. Will haul ass with the Harley mufflers I have. Needs a coil though Mad

Custom Chassis Build Thread S6000982
And another chassis I got. Might hack this thing up and use it for metal, it's really thick. Althought the front axle and steering set up are pretty crap!

Hope to get more done in the next week or two.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 4:32 pm

Sounds like me- dont have room for stuff. I took my old kitchen cabnets and mounted them out in the shed- so got a lil more storage.

I took my old table that collected a bunch of parts and put it in the corner for my LT12 craftsman chassi to sit on (till i rebuild it) and for motors underneath- seem to have a bit more room actually.

I was going to ditch my old RER murray chassis, but figured itd be suitable for metal patches when i need em for my new projects. Sometimes i forget just how many tractors i have around the yard.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 5:38 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I was going to ditch my old RER murray chassis, but figured itd be suitable for metal patches when i need em for my new projects. Sometimes i forget just how many tractors i have around the yard.

dangeroustoys, you have waayy too many tractors...lol

Parts tractors are great! I hav one of my crappier mower decks from one of the craftsmans just about stripped of parts and pulleys. I love having excess scrap metal to pick through.... You might find that perfect piece! Wink

It's weird how that red mower/work bench is all one piece, even the floorboards...
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 8:04 pm

Sometimes i sit back n go " damn- think i have enough stuff to work on " - but keeps me out of bars ( what i keep telling my wife).

My dynamarks have those 'pan chassis' , my agway ( call it a murray)- even my 94 murray has one.

Problem with most my parts is i cant remember where i put most of em- on my 97 mastercut i KNOW i have like 5 of those belt retainer plates ( bolts to the chassis) - be dammed if i can find one to get the thing out of my shed- its almost finished, cept for some minor tweeks.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2010, 7:14 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Sounds like me- dont have room for stuff. I took my old kitchen cabnets and mounted them out in the shed- so got a lil more storage.

I took my old table that collected a bunch of parts and put it in the corner for my LT12 craftsman chassi to sit on (till i rebuild it) and for motors underneath- seem to have a bit more room actually.

true that! I really need more storange space, so I can actually work on my projects, rather than spending half the time I have spare moving my way around other stuff.

The stamped chassis' really suck. The flex really badly. You can see why I want to rebuild it.

Having spares is great. I got this westood mower, with bad steering and a bad deck linage. That chassis about has both the parts I need to make the other one work!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2010, 8:20 am

Since you use your tractor off road- direct steer might not work for you- the one drag link hangs below the chassis and engine pulley- might get hung up on stuff.

Originally i wanted to use a 99 widebody murray for my mod tractor- specially after finding out it had a c channel frame- i shoulda dragged it down, but junked it instead- then came across the one i have now AND the 99 hydro both with c channel frames- its tempting to tear em up for a mod....

About storage- i forgot to mention the 2 cabnets i bot at a yard sale for $10- one holds paint n oil- other holds my welding and paint guns- the table i dragged over from the place we used to rent ( was her sisters table) - its better to keep my tractor on tho- LOL.

Even have room for that 'engine rack' i got from work- used to be a plant/seed display they were throwing out- i put some bords across it and put some of my motors on it.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 3:01 am

Those Murray chassis's rock for modding! Definatly strong. I can see why fearless likes his so much.

For the rest who want to see this build. go to

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forums > Project builds > Al-Ko Mudding Tractor Build
All for your enjoyment!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2010, 5:59 pm

If im not mistaken his tractor also has the c channel frame ( the widebody series does with the walkthrough in front of the seat)- even my 2003 has one. I like the steering because it has two links- one for each side, plus stops for the spindles built in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Chassis Build Thread   Custom Chassis Build Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Chassis Build Thread
Page 1 of 1