All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New from southern Illinois

Go down 
+4
redlinemotorsportts
ericsp0f
Craftsman1998
Frankenvarna
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Frankenvarna

New from southern Illinois Empty
PostSubject: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 11:56 am

Just wanted to drop in an say hello. I have been lurking/reading for sometime and finally decided to register.

I picked up a 2006 Husqvarna GTH2448T that will be known as Frankenvarna. What route I go with this tractor is still undecided. Lifted/Pulling/Racing?

I would like some thoughts or ideas that you would do to it if it was yours.
Back to top Go down
http://gtbarn.com
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. if you have a lot of woods i would make a mudding mower its easier. but if you don't have anywhere to go mudding then make a racing tractor and pulling tractors are fun but you don't get to use them much and lifted take a lot of skill and money to make.
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the input.

Here is a picture as it sits right now. I think I will sell the toff-torq hydro and transplant something a little more suitable.

New from southern Illinois Frankenvarna
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 12:37 pm

thats a sweet tractor
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 12:39 pm

Craftsman1998 wrote:
thats a sweet tractor

The only thing that concerns me is having issues with the plastic hood breaking.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 1:43 pm

you could take it off so you dont break it and if your good at fabricating then you could build your own hood
Back to top Go down
ericsp0f

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 1:59 pm

1st this ng I do is tare the hole thing down and under cote it semm as is is so new unlike my 95 and thin ills Lully swop the mottes pully and start looking for a better trans for it and if its for mud illd b uy some 10 in rims for the back and move the 8s to the grunt

Your have more luck finding good ATV tigers to fit the 10 in rims but that are hard to find

Sorry if this is hard to read I'm doing this on my cell in the back of a car and its hard to see shut I'm tiping
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 2:05 pm

ericsp0f wrote:
1st this ng I do is tare the hole thing down and under cote it semm as is is so new unlike my 95 and thin ills Lully swop the mottes pully and start looking for a better trans for it and if its for mud illd b uy some 10 in rims for the back and move the 8s to the grunt

Your have more luck finding good ATV tigers to fit the 10 in rims but that are hard to find

Sorry if this is hard to read I'm doing this on my cell in the back of a car and its hard to see shut I'm tiping

This is not a lightweight frame like the 90's style lawn tractors. And the tuff torq hydro is not a junk. It's being taken out because it will sell for $400-500 fairly easily.

And als my wheels are 12" rear with 5 lug bolt pattern. The fronts are 8"
Back to top Go down
ericsp0f

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 2:09 pm

OK sorry I'm jest going off of shut I know iv never had a newer one and iv only been doing this for like 3 weeks so I'm going off of mine but still I don't care for hydro's and illd still undecote it mine I dent bechus I plan on getting a new frame for it
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 2:21 pm

ericsp0f wrote:
OK sorry I'm jest going off of shut I know iv never had a newer one and iv only been doing this for like 3 weeks so I'm going off of mine but still I don't care for hydro's and illd still undecote it mine I dent bechus I plan on getting a new frame for it

I don't care for the hydro's either when it comes to extreme hills and serious pulling. But as big as this hydro unit is I am going to have problems finding a big enough manual transaxle to fit it.

I will probably just build an engine for this and use it as a Garden Tractor as it was intended.
Back to top Go down
ericsp0f

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 2:25 pm

If you can welld you can make some monts and I know shut your thinking now the aexle will be to short but to fix that if u look up doc spockit locker or doc locker you can make the aexle as long as it needs to be
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 4:21 pm

Nice machine, quite new and worth a good amount. Should make a good offroading/utility tractor. Strong frame, maybe cast iron axle. What engine? 12" rim atv tires are easy to find. More sure the bore of the rims/hubs, if it's 1", is suggest a peerless 820 if the axles pulley is vertical.
Back to top Go down
ThatOneTeen
ThatOneTeen

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 4:52 pm

Welcome! I am also from Illinois but up near chicago. Nice machine!
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 5:13 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
Nice machine, quite new and worth a good amount. Should make a good offroading/utility tractor. Strong frame, maybe cast iron axle. What engine? 12" rim atv tires are easy to find. More sure the bore of the rims/hubs, if it's 1", is suggest a peerless 820 if the axles pulley is vertical.

Yes it is a cast iron front axle and the rear axle is vertical input. I haven't had a chance to see what size the hubs are but I would imagine they are 1"

Oh and the Engine was a 24hp Briggs V-Twin. As of right now its getting a 18hp Briggs Oppossed Twin.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 5:43 pm

Frankenvarna wrote:
As of right now its getting a 18hp Briggs Oppossed Twin.
Both great motors. Something missing from the intek?
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 5:46 pm

Frankenvarna wrote:

Yes! The whole intek. Ha!
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 6:08 pm

Frankenvarna wrote:
Frankenvarna wrote:

Shocked Well i see thats how you probably got the tractor. Opposed should bolt right up, no hole drilling.
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2014, 6:14 pm

Frankenvarna wrote:
Frankenvarna wrote:

Shocked Well i see thats how you probably got the tractor. Opposed should bolt right up, no hole drilling.

You are correct! Because I sure wouldn't be considering hacking up a $1200+ tractor. I got it cheep. :-)
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2014, 2:29 pm

Really nice starting place!

I wouldn't worry about the hood. Just patch it up if it gets broken. Then it'll live up to the "franken" part of it's name. LOL

Smart to sell the trans to get money to pay you back for the purchase of the tractor, and for money to be able to build it into something you can have fun with.

You can buy an older hydro trans with cast iron axle housings that are fairly easy to widen. You can also find other tricks and tips on this forum for widening other kinds of transaxles. Doc Sprocket's way of starting with a solid axle may be the strongest, if you want to stick with a standard trans and axle.

But there are other tricks. Like mounting the trans, cutting the axles shorter, adding chain gears... then mounting a separate axle with chain gears and running that from the modified trans via chains. (Easy to add a brake to the latter, as well.)
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2014, 5:00 pm

The coil for the opposed arrived Monday and is up and running. Now to finish wiring it up so it will charge. And then it's time to figure out what my plans are for this one.

Oh! and after finally looking it over better I figured out I was wrong about the hood being plastic. It is metal. Shows how much I payed attention when I first looked at it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2014, 5:07 pm

Yes it is a direct bolt in. Sorry for the large pictures.

New from southern Illinois 2_08_10_14_9_06_06

New from southern Illinois 2_08_10_14_9_07_54

New from southern Illinois 2_08_10_14_9_04_14
Back to top Go down
Carshowkid
Carshowkid

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 15th 2014, 6:27 pm

Howdy! Welcome to the form... I'm also in Illinois but up near Chicago... Sorry if I'm a little late to comment on this... I don't come on the form a whole lot... I've been busy with school/carshows/building my tractor
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2014, 12:18 am

It's buttoned up and running good with the Oppy, Now to decide the tractors future. bounce

New from southern Illinois 2_16_10_14_8_50_59

New from southern Illinois 2_16_10_14_8_41_58

I'm leaning towards some 25x12-12, 4 Ply Interco Vampires on the back. Or some Carlisle Tru Powers

New from southern Illinois Interco-vampire-25x12-12  New from southern Illinois Carlisle-tru-power

And maybe some 16 inch tall Tri Ribs for the 8" wheels on the front.
Back to top Go down
Frankenvarna

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2014, 5:35 pm

I probably should of started a build thread, But here is what I did to the Husky today.

Added a 50 pound front weight bar.

New from southern Illinois 2_17_10_14_4_30_51

Painted the Opposed housing to match.

New from southern Illinois 2_17_10_14_4_29_10
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitimeOctober 17th 2014, 10:24 pm

That is a sick looking oppy! Love the colors!  For the tires I'd probably go ag tires and Carlisle Sno-Hogs on the front. You can get those in 18x6.50-8 or 16x6.50-8 for your rim size.  I personally like ag tires now that I have a tractor with one of each.  

But, if you are planning on adding 2" bigger tires to the rear I'd definitely go 18's on the front, Gives it dat awesome stance. Twisted Evil  
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New from southern Illinois   New from southern Illinois Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New from southern Illinois
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next