All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

baja mini bike

Go down 
+3
mr.modified
willysjeepmb
fast adam
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fast adam
fast adam

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2014, 9:14 pm

This might be a little off topic but for Christmas this year I got a BAJA MINI bike I like it so far its probably more reliable than my lawn tractor. I was wondering if people out there know of any tips/trick or fun accessories (I don't want to mod it yet,I don't want to void the warranty) I have been making sure everything breaks in properly. Thanks
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2014, 2:08 am

Is it the black one with the 212cc? I have had one since 2006. I can say a few things I would recommend if the new ones are anything like the old. I would pull the clutch cover off and see if it has the plastic wheel chain tensioner. If so I would go ahead and order another one for when it tears up as a just in case. It might take a year or two before it messes up. Since 2006, all I have done was oil changes, carb cleaning, pull start replacement, one spark plug replacement, seat replacement, saddle bags, straight pipe (muffler rotted off about last year), and just now needs a new throttle grip & cable. Brakes will last forever, never hade to replace them yet. In about 4 years, expect to replace the float, or deal with a float that gas leaks into. I just put a hole in it so I can get the gas out easier, but do it on the bottom of it. Only have to get the gas out of it about every 2 weeks.

Anyways, enjoy it. Mine is starting to smoke on first start up till it warms up. Probably the valve stem seals going bad being a ohv engine. I'm thinking about getting a new one and doing a few upgrades like a mini bike manual clutch and a peerless gearbox so I will have 3 speeds and to go faster. Maybe even put a rear rim on the front so I can have front and rear brakes. Bad part is I think my mower is faster.
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2014, 7:46 am

Thanks mine is a brand new 200cc (so its probably the same) and its seems pretty good but I think its a little lean but I will check the tensioner. But I have been making sure all the bolts are tight and for now everything seems fine
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2014, 10:19 pm

willysjeepmb wrote:
In about 4 years, expect to replace the float, or deal with a float that gas leaks into. I just put a hole in it so I can get the gas out easier, but do it on the bottom of it. Only have to get the gas out of it about every 2 weeks.

Neat that it works. I realise it's like an upside down cup in water, but still, you would think with all the bumping around while driving it would fill up and sink.

I can't say much for those bigger ones except I've seen pictures of one or two with briggs v-twins stuffed into them. I have the smaller traditional mini bike frame style one. The one with the 97cc chinese engine.
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2014, 11:15 pm

I'll probably get a Honda racing engine for it if it blows and if the carb fails ill get a new one or pro carb
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2014, 1:22 am

mr.modified wrote:
willysjeepmb wrote:
In about 4 years, expect to replace the float, or deal with a float that gas leaks into. I just put a hole in it so I can get the gas out easier, but do it on the bottom of it. Only have to get the gas out of it about every 2 weeks.

Neat that it works. I realise it's like an upside down cup in water, but still, you would think with all the bumping around while driving it would fill up and sink.
It does fill up over time. I can tell it needs drained again when it tries to die if it sets at idle for more than 2 min. I can take it out and shake it and nothing comes out, but when I squeeze it, it pours out.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2014, 1:43 am

About at the end of his video you can see the mini bike I have. The pull start jammed on me so I had to fix it to get back home. You should see his videos of me and him messing around, but don't expect more of them. He lost his password and doesn't care to get another one.
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2014, 11:37 am

Do you think you could fill the hole with a little bit of epoxy then clear coat the float and put it back into use
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2014, 4:32 pm

So I went to my cabin for a romp and it performed great but it seems to break up at top-end I think its a little lean and the chain sounds like it's ready for some oil (does anyone know of a good oil for it) and the cache-can has some milky oil in it otherwise it was awesome
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2014, 5:53 pm

fast adam wrote:
Do you think you could fill the hole with a little bit of epoxy then clear coat the float and put it back into use
I could, but it would just be easier to go buy a new float and forget about it.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2014, 6:00 pm

fast adam wrote:
So I went to my cabin for a romp and it performed great but it seems to break up at top-end I think its a little lean and the chain sounds like it's ready for some oil (does anyone know of a good oil for it) and the cache-can has some milky oil in it otherwise it was awesome
I would spray the chain with carb cleaner and dry it with a rag. After that pour some SAE 30 in the cap and use a brush to put it on the chain. Or at least that's what I do sometimes. I probly haven't oiled it in about 3 years after I bought it. Only problem I had with the chain so far was the master link coming off in a field.
Back to top Go down
fast adam
fast adam

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2014, 6:03 pm

I have a friend who works with bicycles and he helped me figure out what to use and how to clean it, as for the master link I'll check it
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2014, 5:23 am

fast adam wrote:
I have a friend who works with bicycles and he helped me figure out what to use and how to clean it, as for the master link I'll check it
I wouldn't worry about the master link. That happed 5 years after I bought it. Tractor Supply has a bag of 3 or 4 master links for about $2.50 for the #41 chain. If I'm right, they use the #41 chain or at least I think mine does. If the link comes off, don't try to reuse it unless you have to to get it back home. It will just keep flying off.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2014, 12:51 pm

I personally would take the centrifugal clutch off and replace it with a torque converter.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2015, 2:32 pm

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
I personally would take the centrifugal clutch off and replace it with a torque converter.  
I have thought about that once. But for the cost you could get a racing clutch. It kinda looks like the original, but it is a manual like a real motorcycle. It cost about $170 or so. You can see it by looking up manual mini bike clutch on youtube.
Back to top Go down
ZSmachines
ZSmachines

2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2015, 11:25 pm

if it was me, i would zip tie the govornor spring, then if for some odd reason the engine blows, undo the zipties and call the manafacturer for a new warranty engine...
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2015, 8:48 am

willysjeepmb wrote:
LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
I have thought about that once. But for the cost you could get a racing clutch. It kinda looks like the original, but it is a manual like a real motorcycle. It cost about $170 or so. You can see it by looking up manual mini bike clutch on youtube.

Don't hold your breath. I think the company might have gone under.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2015, 11:37 pm

Could go this route.
baja mini bike  10492410

Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2015, 9:09 pm

Murray modder wrote:
Could go this route.
baja mini bike  10492410

Now that is cool. I would have never thought of that. Might have to build one some time. Thanks for sharing that.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2015, 9:30 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
willysjeepmb wrote:
LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:

Don't hold your breath. I think the company might have gone under.
This is the clutch I was talking about. Did it go under? I was going to buy one some time and add a 3 speed gearbox to the minibike I have.
http://www.minichopperssocal.com/MINIBIKE-MANUAL-CLUTCH.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

baja mini bike  Empty
PostSubject: Re: baja mini bike    baja mini bike  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

baja mini bike
Page 1 of 1