All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Need some help..about points in certain engines

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Need some help..about points in certain engines Empty
PostSubject: Need some help..about points in certain engines   Need some help..about points in certain engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 19th 2015, 10:46 pm

hey guys, i have never delt with points ever in my life would like to have some help or something i can read about them for the small engines we work or deal with so i can acknowledge my self the sole purpose so i can help someone else whos in the same boat as i am right now lol only delt with new engines with the fly wheel mount coil and such so yea lol any advise or in the right direction i would surely appreciate it, i have looked through most sections on here and i couldnt find it so if it is in here point me and ill look for it thanks guys!!
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Need some help..about points in certain engines   Need some help..about points in certain engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2015, 2:30 pm

If you don't have any spark because of the ignition points not having good contact, sometimes you can file them up/clean them. A lot of times after you file them off, they will go for awhile and then not work again. I can't follow electrical stuff too good for the most part, but not much to do as far as replacing them. I always replace the condenser at the same time. I think they usually come with the points anyway. Then all there is to do is adjust how much gap there is when the points are open. The thin cardboard lid off the small box the new points come in should be close, but you can look up exact specs for your engine of course. Also, sometimes you put in new points and condenser, it runs 6 months, and then the points are burned up. I think once in a while you get a bad condenser, especially on rarely used ones that sit on the shelf for a long time before they sell them. I don't know 100% if that's why they are bad, just my theory.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need some help..about points in certain engines   Need some help..about points in certain engines Icon_minitimeFebruary 20th 2015, 3:56 pm

ty sir!! yea i havent had much experience with points at all so i was trying to learn something new after that little video explained alot to me didnt even know there was a condenser in there so this will help me out alot when ever i need it and i might be able to help another member in the fb groups when there having problems with no spark on there tractor when they have the old set up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some help..about points in certain engines   Need some help..about points in certain engines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some help..about points in certain engines
Page 1 of 1