All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Plow idea help?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2015, 12:46 am

Would anybody have a idea on how to make a turning plow for a lawn tractor? I need a way to plow and the only thing I have is a old cultivator blade with the adjustment bar. I can pull it and dig up dirt, but after about 10 feet it leans over one way or the other and slides across the ground and quits digging.

I basically have this. Just the bar and blade.
Plow idea help? New%20Combo%20Shank-580x390
I'm thinking about just buying some rectangle steel and build a frame to put it in to help stabilize it. I would prefer a homemade turning plow though.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2015, 9:23 pm

I don't know much about how they are rigged up. What do you mean by turning? As in adjustable somehow? I thought it was either digging through the dirt or up out of the way.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 2:46 am

mr.modified wrote:
I don't know much about how they are rigged up. What do you mean by turning? As in adjustable somehow? I thought it was either digging through the dirt or up out of the way.
This is a turning plow.Plow idea help? Old-Plow-on-JD-GT
It digs up the ground and turns over the sod or packed dirt. Then later on you disc it when the grass has rotted away and when the ground is dry to break up the clumps, kinda like a tiller does.Plow idea help? Hqdefault
Then you plant, pick, and disc again next year(unless you have a drill planter, no need to disc next year, just plant). But I have something does more of this than turning.Plow idea help? 2012_october_digging_sweet_potatoes
Just digs a trench. I can use it, it will just take more time and work. After searching all over the internet, no one has made their own. My best bet is just hope I get lucky and find one cheap.
Back to top Go down
the old guy

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 11:14 am

Have you checked some of the other garden tractor forums? The members on those know about such things I understand what you need, but never have tried to build one good luck in your search.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 11:29 am

Oh, now I guess I know what you mean then. Can't you just cut your plow in half and add a flat straight piece to hold it straight in the dirt? Maybe your plow doesn't have enough of a curve to it to turn the dirt over though. Probably kind of tough to make one up from scratch, as in the plow blade itself, because I imagine it needs to be pretty rugged or it would get torn up quick.
Back to top Go down
the old guy

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 12:00 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking has to be tough and takes a powerful tractor to do the job. I have one that could with proper tires and weights, but don't plan on doing so not along as my father in law can with his 2310 ford lol.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 1:29 pm

We have a old brinly or something sleeve hitch plow love the bejesus out of it back when we had the old high low craftsman it took all of us kids and my dad sitting on the back of the tractor to get it to pull. Takes a lot of weight and good tires.
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 3:49 pm

Moose wrote:
We have a old brinly or something sleeve hitch plow love the bejesus out of it back when we had the old high low craftsman it took all of us kids and my dad sitting on the back of the tractor to get it to pull. Takes a lot of weight and good tires.
I can get a brinly plow new for $348 from home depot. That is a bit much for something to mess around with and I can't guarantee I can pull it.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 5:13 pm

willysjeepmb wrote:
Moose wrote:
I can get a brinly plow new for $348 from home depot. That is a bit much for something to mess around with and I can't guarantee I can pull it.
look for a used one spend the money on executioners and lower your gear ratio then find a big ol slab of steel
Back to top Go down
willysjeepmb
willysjeepmb

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2015, 6:59 pm

Moose wrote:
willysjeepmb wrote:
Moose wrote:
look for a used one spend the money on executioners and lower your gear ratio then find a big ol slab of steel
I found one for $75, but it was too far of a drive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plow idea help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plow idea help?   Plow idea help? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plow idea help?
Page 1 of 1