All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Empty
PostSubject: Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)   Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2016, 4:47 pm

So i started this project out of an old John Deere Sabre Garden tractor. Originally it was a hydrostat, but it shouldnt be too hard to convert to gear drive.(if im wrong, someone please tell me now before i get too far into it) As of now any actual progress has been halted by the complicated mess of linkages, springs, pulleys and everything else John Deere stuck under that tractor. i have been working at clearing it out. For an engine, i am putting an 83 briggs 11hp. there is a 2 gallon fuel tank underneath the seat (anyone have any suggestions for fuel pumps?) There used to be a 21 hp kohler command in there, so there is plenty of room for my small single cyl. the steering is the heaviest i have ever seen on a lawnmower. The "pie slice" gear( or whatever its called, im sure most of you know what im talking about) is exactly an inch thick. it has a tierod to each tire and a cast iron front axle with bearings.

Anyone have any suggestions? Im gonna need help with this Laughing So any help would be greatly appreciated
I was going to put a peerless 820 under there, but i have yet to find one.

Thanks
TheGreenHornet

(at this time I do not have pictures, The mower is at another location. Next time im there i will be sure to take some pictures so you guys have some visuals)
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)   Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Icon_minitimeMay 27th 2016, 5:01 pm

There are small electric low pressure fuel pumps you can get but I think most people use vacuum fuel pumps. Pretty cheap. $25 maybe for an aluminum one, probably $10-15 if you get a throw away plastic one. You just need a vacuum source somewhere on the engine. Either put a port in the crank case, or in the intake manifold. Then just stick the lines on and your good. Pumps on ebay, bmikarts.com, probably amazon, or whatever your favorite website is.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)   Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2016, 11:37 am

Thanks! i am beginnning my search for one. i may go vacuum just to keep my wiring harness as simple as possible
Back to top Go down
mowerheadder

PostSubject: Re: Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)   Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2016, 5:24 pm

Howdy, here's a video, dose not explain much and it already has an adapter but maybe it'll help you....Now I've never done this myself just saying. I really dislike JD, they make tons of stupid designs, I have a Scotts(MFG by JD) and an RX73, RX 73 tons of mechanical issues and the Scotts is just gross. Kohler command is stupid thank heavens you don't have one they'r a mess. Stick with Briggs. As for your tranny issue, that's a bit of an issue. Asuming you have a welder that will make setting up linkages and stuff eaiser if not, well your kinda screwed. Just rob another tranny out of another mower or purchase one online for around 150+. Guessing its vertical engine shaft, you could do a custom drive train like most guys do, peerless 700 and such. Just check out youtube and the drive train section here any more specific Q's just ask. And if you mean converting a hydro transmission to a gear tranny, I've never heard of that. Good luck mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjRFtz-qwwc

On another note, would someone explain how the vacuum is created in a mower engine?  Just a simple break down will do.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenHornet
TheGreenHornet

2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)   Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2016, 5:20 pm

Thank you for the vid.
Yes, i agree. John deere really sucks. so does kohler, for that matter. i would have replaced it with a briggs anyway. the kohler had too many wires and cables and such i really did not want to mess with it.
Unfortunately for me, im on a very tight budget. This sabre was really the best out of all of them. my other option would have been a craftsman LT4000 AWS with a 6spd peerless 930. It had a stamped frame though and pretty light duty steering and axles. (The mowers were both free, my buddy (craftsmanquad19) took the craftsman. He has the twin to the engine that is going in mine)
Yes, i have a welder(at least access to one)
right now im pretty occupied with tearing out the hydrostat pedals and all the linkages. i will use the clutch pedal and the forward pedal, but to make things simpler i am tearing them out and creating more simpler designs for them so that there arent cables and ***** going everywhere.
Once i find an 820 (it needs to be an 820 because i have hubs for 1" axles and the next step down, an 8o1 has 3/4" axles. i dont wanna get new hubs and i wanna keep the original rims. I have tires for them already.
Thank all for your advice Surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)   Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project John Deere Sabre (a.k.a. the green hornet)
Page 1 of 1