All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Papa Shaun

'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Empty
PostSubject: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2016, 4:04 pm

Hello, I'm a newby to the site. I have a 2002 Troy Bilt Lawn Tractor with a 18 HP Briggs and Stratton motor. The mower runs great, not used for mowing anymore, and I've looked at using it for a potential off-road or mudder project. I'm not concerned so much about a speed increase, just something for fun to ride around on. I have a few concerns/questions with this model before I even attempt anything.

1. For one, it is a pedal drive/hydrostatic, and from what I've read, I should not try to modify the trans pulley or look for a speed increase, but for what I want it for, I'm not concerned about that as much.

2. This model has a double pulley for the V-Belt that is attached to the deck, with the deck belt attached to the bottom portion of the pulley. Any way I can modify this after taking the deck off...considering the pull bolts on to the deck. (I'll include a link to the parts manual to show this, on the very 1st page.)

3. Any help in suggesting modification for bigger rear tires is appreciated as well.

Here is a link to the parts manual below, showing my double pulley concern. I appreciate any feedback/help someone can give. Not looking to put a lot of money into this, maybe $500-$700 tops. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2016, 5:10 pm

Just wondering, is the 18HP Briggs a twin? That'd be cool. Also, if I'm picturing your description right, you have a drive pulley for the trans and a PTO pulley for the deck. My MTD had the same thing but I replaced it with a single pulley to avoid the lower pulley hitting something and damaging my crankshaft. As far as the transaxle goes, a hydro is OK, but I wouldn't try modifying it. What kind of tires are you wanting to put on? Anyway happy building and you shouldn't have to spend too much to make it cool. Heck, I built my rat rod mower on here for $58.06!! Hahahaha, good luck man!

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
MatthewD
Veteran Member
MatthewD
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2016, 5:22 pm

Hi. With regards to your double pulley question, all mowers have that configuration. You can cut the bottom pulley off if you want, but most people leave it there, or swap it up to the top to replace the smaller pulley to improve speed. Hydrostatic transaxles are easily burnt out when speed up or used with aggressive tyres. You could install 18" knobby tyres or maybe stretch to 21 or 22. You could swap the hydro out for a Peerless or Foote geardrive transaxle which is possible if you have access to a welder/grinder etc. If not, then I think you could use the hydro without running the risk of damaging it. And as Allis says, not very much money gets you a pretty cool tractor! That's what I love about our hobby, it doesn't break the bank (and is enjoyable too)

Good luck with your build and if you have any questions I'm sure there'll be someone here to answer them!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2016, 10:03 pm

So, question.  Is it actually a hydro or an mtd varidrive setup?  Although not the favorite, I think you can pulley swap an mtd varidrive.  I am about to do the same thing on my girl's Purple People eater.  It's a Troy Bilt of the same year I believe with 2 belts.  It has about a 9 inch pulley on the tranny.  I plan on swapping the girls pulley smaller this winter sometime.  

Does your belt diagram look like the following?
'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Troy-bilt-riding-mower-parts-diagram-l-e2c40cbd5fa3fb52_zpsotgfygxr

'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Sig214'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Sig314
Back to top Go down
Papa Shaun

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 8:19 am

mightyraze wrote:
So, question.  Is it actually a hydro or an mtd varidrive setup?  Although not the favorite, I think you can pulley swap an mtd varidrive.  I am about to do the same thing on my girl's Purple People eater.  It's a Troy Bilt of the same year I believe with 2 belts.  It has about a 9 inch pulley on the tranny.  I plan on swapping the girls pulley smaller this winter sometime.  

Does your belt diagram look like the following?
'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Troy-bilt-riding-mower-parts-diagram-l-e2c40cbd5fa3fb52_zpsotgfygxr

You are exactly right.....the trans pulley is about 8.5 inches. Would a 5" pulley be efficient, or could you go smaller if swapped?? I'm a little cautious on that, and may not swap at all. I didn't realize it was a varidrive setup. I actually bought this mower 4 years ago for $200 off of a relative, and it only has 225 hours of use on it. I feel like it's got a lot of life left running wise on the motor.
Back to top Go down
Papa Shaun

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 8:28 am

AllisKidD21 wrote:
Just wondering, is the 18HP Briggs a twin? That'd be cool. Also, if I'm picturing your description right, you have a drive pulley for the trans and a PTO pulley for the deck. My MTD had the same thing but I replaced it with a single pulley to avoid the lower pulley hitting something and damaging my crankshaft. As far as the transaxle goes, a hydro is OK, but I wouldn't try modifying it. What kind of tires are you wanting to put on? Anyway happy building and you shouldn't have to spend too much to make it cool. Heck, I built my rat rod mower on here for $58.06!! Hahahaha, good luck man!

You are correct, a drive pulley for the trans and pto pulley for the deck. No the briggs engine is not a twin. I'm thinking of 18-20 inch tires on the back, and moving the rear stock tires to the front.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 8:41 am

I believe mtd used 18 inch tires on the rear, and it has 15 inch front. if you put the stock rears on the front, you could put the 21 or 22 inch on the rear and still sit level. I have come mtd rears that will probably make their way onto the front of the CQ....
Back to top Go down
Papa Shaun

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 8:42 am

MatthewD wrote:
Hi. With regards to your double pulley question, all mowers have that configuration. You can cut the bottom pulley off if you want, but most people leave it there, or swap it up to the top to replace the smaller pulley to improve speed. Hydrostatic transaxles are easily burnt out when speed up or used with aggressive tyres. You could install 18" knobby tyres or maybe stretch to 21 or 22. You could swap the hydro out for a Peerless or Foote geardrive transaxle which is possible if you have access to a welder/grinder etc. If not, then I think you could use the hydro without running the risk of damaging it. And as Allis says, not very much money gets you a pretty cool tractor! That's what I love about our hobby, it doesn't break the bank (and is enjoyable too)

Good luck with your build and if you have any questions I'm sure there'll be someone here to answer them!

I appreciate the advice. I was looking at rear tires in the 18-20" range, and moving the stock rear tires to the front. As far as this pulley, this mower has a PTO belt, with a double pulley, and the double pulley bolts in to the deck. With taking the deck off, how would I best modify this?? I would post a link to the diagram on the Troy Bilt parts site, but I still can post external links for 7 days as a new member. hahahahaha  But here is the model # of the mower: 13CX609G063 18HP Lawn Tractor (2002), LT-1842 (2002)
Back to top Go down
Papa Shaun

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 8:44 am

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote:
I believe mtd used 18 inch tires on the rear, and it has 15 inch front. if you put the stock rears on the front, you could put the 21 or 22 inch on the rear and still sit level. I have come mtd rears that will probably make their way onto the front of the CQ....

Cool, I appreciate your help.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 9:28 am

Papa Shaun wrote:

You are exactly right.....the trans pulley is about 8.5 inches. Would a 5" pulley be efficient, or could you go smaller if swapped?? I'm a little cautious on that, and may not swap at all. I didn't realize it was a varidrive setup. I actually bought this mower 4 years ago for $200 off of a relative, and it only has 225 hours of use on it. I feel like it's got a lot of life left running wise on the motor.

Anything is possible, 5" would give some good speed, just have to come up with a plan to help with belt slip.

'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Sig214'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Sig314
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 9:34 am

mightyraze wrote:
Papa Shaun wrote:

Anything is possible, 5" would give some good speed, just have to come up with a plan to help with belt slip.

Excellent point @mightyraze! The vari-drive is very sensitive to belt size and changing the pulley size will require a different belt. and they're 5/8 belts, not the typical 1/2. I think for every inch in pulley diameter changed, its a 2 inch difference in belt? But not positive
Back to top Go down
Papa Shaun

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2016, 1:01 pm

Papa Shaun wrote:
MatthewD wrote:

I appreciate the advice. I was looking at rear tires in the 18-20" range, and moving the stock rear tires to the front. As far as this pulley, this mower has a PTO belt, with a double pulley, and the double pulley bolts in to the deck. With taking the deck off, how would I best modify this?? I would post a link to the diagram on the Troy Bilt parts site, but I still can post external links for 7 days as a new member. hahahahaha  But here is the model # of the mower: 13CX609G063 18HP Lawn Tractor (2002), LT-1842 (2002)

I just realized I'm an idiot, hahahahahah. For some reason of the top of my head, I was thinking my PTO belt was tied in to one of my transmission pulleys, but it isn't once I thought it through. I can take the belt or remove any of those pulleys no problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...   '02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'02 Troy Bilt 18 HP Pedal Drive Lawn Tractor "Potential Project" Question...
Page 1 of 1